Proposal: Myers / Gardiner swap

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Myers gets knocked around a lot, but Gardiner was a disaster in the playoffs, Myers was like a freaking hawk at times. Jets don't need Gardiner. Leafs need a RD. Myers may re-sign too, so this deal would never happen.

Reactions: Snowman

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leafs three Dmen that play the right side, Hainsey, Zaitsev, and Ozzie are not good at rushing the puck. Leafs need Gardiner (and Reilly and Dermot). to be puck movers. Actually Gardiner has been consistently good this year. Maybe it's a "fair trade" but I don't see how it really helps the Leafs. Of course there is this perception that any RHD traded to the Leafs is a Norris candidate.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Myers is better than Gardiner
No he isn't.
They are similar players, both good offensively both bad defensively. Gardiner is a much better puck mover and therefor a better player overall. But, Gardiner is rental and we have another similar young player in Niku who could benefit from that ice time so it isn’t exactly a burning need.

Since Gardiner doesn’t really fill a need and is a pure rental I wouldn’t add any other assets to get him. If the Leafs want a RHD and can fill Gardiners spot with Dermott so they are willing to take a downgrade for half a season to balance out their D I’d make the swap straight up but I’m not sending any other assets with Myers.

Reactions: Snowman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad