NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
20140417_200018_zps386d1a17.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_59938282814867_zps651568fe.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_59931137093432_zpsfc6f9375.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Had the meet and greet with Leetch, gresh , and Kosty last night in S.I. Turned into one of my greatest hockey nights ever as Brian and I got to spend tons of quality time talk Rangers hockey . Past present and future .. Lots of details to come later today

nikonsniper*

I hope he signed his name right when he give you his autograph ;)

SupersonicMonkey*

Very jealous. I've never been able to meet Leetch, and he is my favorite player of all time since i was a kid in the early 90s.

Awesome stuff, Goon. Leetch looks like a fun guy. I'm looking forward to your info.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
He was set to do a 2 hr event and stayed 5 hrs. He was by far the most fan friendly Ranger player ever.

Notes
Currently working with the nhl and loves the new experience
He totally has the memory of a elephant . He remember goals players names and where people were born it was almost rain man like. The 94 teAm is still very close and he remains in contact with a lot of them . Messier had his motorcycle commercial come on and Leetch says look at that head he doesn't need a helmet lol..
Openly talked about his love for enforcers and how much messier and he tried to pull Tie Domi in . Said Tie in his younger days was very very lacking and self confidence and used sarcasoum and meanness as a way to coupe with big city life . Leetch said behind the scenes it was horrible leading up to the trade and how proud he was of Tie later on in Toronto as he became a complete player and more important a man and dad ..

I asked of course his feelings on fighting and was shocked to learn who his best friends were on the teams he played . Chris Nilan joe Paterson Darren Langdon and dale the animal Purinton.
Told me a great story about his only nhl. Fight with Verbeek, and how it was the day after his 21 st. Bday and he was out all night the day before and espo. Was really pissed off at him and he was a minus 4 in the game and Verbeek was there so Leetch grabs his stick and won't let go . Pat tells him three times to drop it then fires a punch at him they drop the gloves and all Verbeek but Leetch says he channeled his inner Nilan got in tight and held on. He goes to the box and next shift Joe Paterson has a fight comes to the box and starts screaming at him. WTF. Are you doing it's my job to fight not yours. Brian tried to say something and joe yelled at him again ..

Told me a story about when messier arrived there was a team meeting and mess told the team no one fights because they hit Leetch or messier a hit is a hit.. Messier told the guys to target the other teams stars and if our stars get hit then you run their stars,,

He loved playing for Michel Bergeron

Says rangers look great but made a huge mistake passing on messier as a coach.. There was a lot more to this but I can't make it public

Says he regrets never collecting stuff from the legends he played with ,. Most wants an marcel Dionne signed stick ..

Guy was pure class . Told me so much more but some needs to stay private ..

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Good job Goon, thanks for sharing & congrats on a great night, very jealous :yo:

Did you guys talk any Zubov or Kovalev? Did you ask him about his boys and which one we should draft in 10 years? ;)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Says rangers look great but made a huge mistake passing on messier as a coach.. There was a lot more to this but I can't make it public

Whelp my opinion of Leetch just dropped

e: that's harsh but purely from a coaching your team perspective it makes absolutely no sense to bring in a guy who has never coached before at any level and say "here you go!" even if he is a legend for the team. You can't run a team like it's a good old boys club or you end up like the Oilers are right now. Messier hasn't paid his dues to just be handed a coaching spot.

Tons of respect for Messier and Leetch but being buddies with someone doesn't mean they're infallible.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007

e: that's harsh but purely from a coaching your team perspective it makes absolutely no sense to bring in a guy who has never coached before at any level and say "here you go!" even if he is a legend for the team. You can't run a team like it's a good old boys club or you end up like the Oilers are right now. Messier hasn't paid his dues to just be handed a coaching spot.

Tons of respect for Messier and Leetch but being buddies with someone doesn't mean they're infallible.

hmmmm. :sarcasm:

SickNice

Oct 7, 2005
Hoboken, NJ

I wanted nothing to do with Messier re: coaching, but you can't fault Leetch simply for saying his teammate and close friend would have done a good job (especially without the context of how it came up / how he said it). I would be very interested to know the "more to it" piece though...

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah and honestly I was being kinda rude there but the thought that Messier was maybe a serious candidate is scary, and I hate saying that and coming off like I'm disrespecting the things he did for the Rangers, but man...a guy with no coaching experience just being promoted to head coach of a NHL team? I dont' think that would be best for a team, coaching is different from being a captain and leading a team on the ice.

But like you said Leetch pulling for his buddy isn't surprising

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
Yeah, there's no way the team looks as good as it does now with Mess as coach. Let him cut his teeth coaching in the minors for a while if he's really interested in the HC job.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Great tidbits Rick. Thanks for the contribution.

Count me as someone who would love to see Messier behind an NHL bench one day. Curious to see what kind of coach he'd be.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
That is AWESOME. The Verbeek fight story was hysterical! There's a reason you're one of my favorite posters and it's stuff like this. Awesome insight, man. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
What a great player, person, and thread. I'm glad you posted it. I think Leetch is pure class.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Awesome stuff Goon. Glad you had a great night!

Leetchie, Richter, Mess, Gretz, Graves...they were my childhood heroes. And that stays with you for the rest of your life.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
Funny line I forgot
Leetch phone rings it someone from nhl offices
Hey you ok ? Your very late ..

Leetch I hope so they put me in a car with a islander fan and guy is nuts ..be there soon I hope ok bye,

2 mins later cell rings and he goes ha I was just kidding no I am ok lol

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Funny line I forgot
Leetch phone rings it someone from nhl offices
Hey you ok ? Your very late ..

Leetch I hope so they put me in a car with a islander fan and guy is nuts ..be there soon I hope ok bye,

2 mins later cell rings and he goes ha I was just kidding no I am ok lol

LOL.

Love it.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
On Leetch loving Bergeron as coach. Michel Bergeron was a trip. Up and down the bench with his heavy French accent spitting out profanities at the referees. And he wasn't kidding--when he was pissed it was for real. Hilarious. You could hear them sometimes on the telecasts. I always liked that guy.

Tie Domi was another trip. I remember going to games in Binghamton where the Rangers used to have their AHL team. Smaller guy but he kicked the **** out of a lot of bigger guys. First time I saw him was a preseason game against the Islanders where he and Ken Baumgartner (an Islander goon much bigger than him) kept colliding. Domi comes out of the locker room after the intermission with all these shreds of paper under his helmet mimicking Baumgartner's long locks. Big battle after that.

Langdon was another favorite of mine. Great fighter. He was a guy who would take a lot of punches early but the longer a fight went on the better he got. A lot of guys didn't like to fight him because of that.

Leetch is my favorite Ranger of all time. As far as I'm concerned the best Rangers player I've seen and I've been watching them since 71-72. Very much a class act.

Thanks for sharing Dagoon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad