My utter disgust for Alain Vigneault

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Yes, I know it is the past, but this incompetent, arrogant snake of a person managed to force the entire NYR franchise in a rebuild when it didn't need to, I think the discussion is still pretty relevant, especially since that angst need to be cleared for the record.

His kindergarten, idiotic man-to-man/ zone cover defense that left goals open on the weak side like taking candy from children, what more do you need? Oh, there's more apart from that leaking wreckage. Much more.

Once you got into the playoffs and teams could really read your game, not only did they realize the plan for scoring against you was: 1) Dump the puck 2) Win a puck battle 3) Pass the puck to the open man by the net AND 2) Stop the stretch pass through the neutral zone. Done. Vigneault's team loses.

So not only was he a highly flawed coach in terms of strategy. No, I'm being too kind, he was a JOKE of a coach for coaching in the highest hockey "sports league". He favoured his pair of useless veterans to the end of it and neglected development of younger players. He was terrible at it. And once he got the defenseman who knew how to move the puck, he benched them and made them watch forwards play the point on the PP.

He was f***ing sadistic in the glory of his own image of being a "genjus". He was great at getting the least out of his players as possible. And when the castle failed he not only called out future HHOF goalie Lundqvist in the media for being the reason the team failed. He was fired weeks after that in astonishment btw if you can't remember. He also called out many others, personally, despite from making it sure he was the ginjus.

He was a smug face shit head. But here comes the WORST part: He tricked the NYR management they needed a rebuild when they didn't. NYR gave away McD, Miller, Hayes, Pionk, Skjei, Zuccarello, etc, for basically nothing in return. It was a robbery. I'm not advocating trading. But you don't give solid players away for nothing. NYR did.

IF NYR would've told Vigneault: "No, you're an incompetent idiot, bye", sure, the team wouldn't have Kakko and those insignificant picks. But they possibly could've kept ALOT of elite players still on the team. If not for the rebuild, NYR could've potentially been a power house.

As for the long run? If you always aim for the long run, you're never in the window. All in all, I just want to say I really think Alain "smug face" Vigneault is one of the worst dinsosaur coaches in the NHL and he altered the entire future of the team. Now the cup window is just in weird angles that doesn't work.
didnt-read-lol-dancing-bodybuilder.gif

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

DuneGoon84

Jun 21, 2019
I don't know about all that. What I can say is that I enjoyed the offense under him. It was fun to watch, albeit Hank had to bail us out countless times.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Absolutely f*** Alain Vigneault and f*** the doctor that gave birth to him, but the rebuild was coming anyway.

Also to say we got nothing is extremely disingenuous. Assets acquired as a result of those trades include: K'Andre Miller, Nils Lundkvist, Ryan Lindgren, Julien Gauthier, Matthew Robertson, Karl Henriksson, Braden Schneider, and Will Cuylle.

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Yes, I know it is the past, but this incompetent, arrogant snake of a person managed to force the entire NYR franchise in a rebuild when it didn't need to, I think the discussion is still pretty relevant, especially since that angst need to be cleared for the record.

His kindergarten, idiotic man-to-man/ zone cover defense that left goals open on the weak side like taking candy from children, what more do you need? Oh, there's more apart from that leaking wreckage. Much more.

Once you got into the playoffs and teams could really read your game, not only did they realize the plan for scoring against you was: 1) Dump the puck 2) Win a puck battle 3) Pass the puck to the open man by the net AND 2) Stop the stretch pass through the neutral zone. Done. Vigneault's team loses.

So not only was he a highly flawed coach in terms of strategy. No, I'm being too kind, he was a JOKE of a coach for coaching in the highest hockey "sports league". He favoured his pair of useless veterans to the end of it and neglected development of younger players. He was terrible at it. And once he got the defenseman who knew how to move the puck, he benched them and made them watch forwards play the point on the PP.

He was f***ing sadistic in the glory of his own image of being a "genjus". He was great at getting the least out of his players as possible. And when the castle failed he not only called out future HHOF goalie Lundqvist in the media for being the reason the team failed. He was fired weeks after that in astonishment btw if you can't remember. He also called out many others, personally, despite from making it sure he was the ginjus.

He was a smug face shit head. But here comes the WORST part: He tricked the NYR management they needed a rebuild when they didn't. NYR gave away McD, Miller, Hayes, Pionk, Skjei, Zuccarello, etc, for basically nothing in return. It was a robbery. I'm not advocating trading. But you don't give solid players away for nothing. NYR did.

IF NYR would've told Vigneault: "No, you're an incompetent idiot, bye", sure, the team wouldn't have Kakko and those insignificant picks. But they possibly could've kept ALOT of elite players still on the team. If not for the rebuild, NYR could've potentially been a power house.

As for the long run? If you always aim for the long run, you're never in the window. All in all, I just want to say I really think Alain "smug face" Vigneault is one of the worst dinsosaur coaches in the NHL and he altered the entire future of the team. Now the cup window is just in weird angles that doesn't work.
You make a good point about player development. There was young talent in those rosters. Might have developed them better - and for all the complaining I think Quinn really is doing that now - and not needed a “re-build”.

In the end I prefer the roster we have now and the team’s direction is exciting, to say the least. But that is certainly no credit to AV.

I don’t hate AV though. He wasn’t hired to develop. The organization‘s mindset was a lot different under Slats.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So you concede that the rebuild has worked out but are mad that it hypothetically shouldn't have? This isn't philosophy class, in the real world it worked out. I don't understand your vitriol over a hypothetical alternate reality.

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
AV was good for what he was brought in for and when those teams clicked they were some of the best in NYR history.

That being said, he should have been fired after the Ottawa series. He completely f***ed that series away by playing favorites instead of riding his hot pairings. That was the moment AV should have been shown the door. There was no coming back from that for any HC

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Blaming the doctor is one step too far? Or are you insinuating malpractice which led to brain hypoxia and lasting brain damage? If so, are we as a fanbase eligible to sue, claiming psychological damage?
Yeah, let's go with the legal one. We deserve to be paid for watching the 15-16 team.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
It's water under the bridge. AV did what AV does. Start's off great and progressively gets worse.

If nothing else, we wouldn't have enjoyed seeing him end an 18 game winless streak if it didn't go down the way it did. Butterfly effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad