My unscientific way to predict the regular season

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Cause Leafs don't make it? The west came out quite realistic I think in terms of overall qualification and wild cards. Maybe one of Calgary/Chicago makes it instead of LA/Minny for example but that's about it. The east is crapshoot any method you use so yeah, maybe next time I try darts for the east. Maybe that puts Toronto in the playoffs and all of a sudden this is the most valid method known to man.

No it's just a pretty confusing analysis.

A chart with colours and no legend. No explanation for any rankings. Puzzling scores for a number of teams in certain categories. And yes, the scores you gave the Leafs are bad.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Why did the leafs goaltending get a 4?

Andersen is a pretty capable goalie... id imagine their goalie rating should be at least up to 8 unless backup goalies are included in which case I guess a 7 would be acceptable.

My thoughts exactly.

Murray/Niemi get a 9?!

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
I think I speak for all Buffalo fans when I say that we don't claim this one.

I also have an equally accurate prediction method. I eat a bunch of barbecue the day before the season starts...like a LOT of barbecue. Then whatever team's logo most resembles the excrement are the ones making the playoffs.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Very basic, just plugged in a rating out of 10 for each team's O, D and G and totalled it up to see what it comes out as playoff contenders.

Lines taken from here: http://www.chirphockey.com/nhl-line-combinations/

Got to say, the result is quite realistic IMO even if I don't particularly like it as a Buffalo fan.

10n7tsk.png

Of course it is easy to argue that goaltending doesn't have the same value as D and especially F but whatevs :laugh:

Don't know how you came up with these number grades, but it seems pretty biased / unbalanced, at least from a Toronto POV:

How is Toronto a 7 for forwards when we were the 5th highest team in the league for scoring? You have teams we outscored last year rated higher than us, and we added Marleau as well

How does Toronto get a 4 for goalies while a team like Florida gets an 8? You would actually think the corpse of Roberto Luongo and career backup James Reimer is twice as good as Andersen?

You assigned the Toronto defence a 4 which is higher only than the dumpster fire rebuilding teams like Colorado, Detroit, and New Jersey? I know we aren't a top team in the league on the back end but you gave Vancouver a 6 for D lol. Rielly, Zaitsev Gardiner and Carrick is a much better top 4 than Edler, Tanev, Gud and MDZ

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Home opinions but Islanders have been 4th, 10th, and 11th in goals the last 3 years. Added Eberle, and with Ho-Sang expected to be an impact rookie, they should get a 7 at least on the offensive evaluation. :)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Leafs with a rating of 7 at forward and 4 at goaltending is hilarious.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Honestly, I think this is a decent approach, if only because it reveals a little more info as to why teams are being rated where they are. Not everything, but some.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Colors are divisions/wild cards, took me way to long to figure that out. :laugh:

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
A better way to do this is rank every team 1-31 in O, D, and G. Then total and sort low to high, lower being better. Might be a better representation than arbitrary numbers.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
The bias is strong against Toronto..not surprised.

My rankings would be much different, but it's a good attempt, and an interesting method.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I hate the leafs but I'd go

Giving Detroits goaltending a 7 is a bit generous

Chicago rankings are a bit harsh. I don't like Crawford but he's pretty good

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
Out of boredom I did something similar. But stats driven. These are using last years stats, so changes in players and Vegas are not included.

Top 10 are green, bottom 10 are red.
GOI9rMM.png

And now sorted by rank
kIHBtYg.png

If you want to see the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EXmDjZFzqdsQiLzu5flwSBXVtBD8AXEB_ixGfXE2Xj8/edit?usp=sharing

To get the data I ranked each team in 5 categories from last years stats, averaged the rank, then ranked based on that average. The categories are as follows:
Offense - GF60, SF60, FF60, CF60, Sh%
Defense - GA60, SA60, FA60, CA60, Sv%
Goaltending - All Sv%, 4v5 SH Sv%, 5v5 tied Sv%, 5v5 Close Zone Adj Sv%, GA60

Notes:
It clearly shows that stats aren't everything. Or maybe that the stats I chose don't do a perfect job representing how teams will do. For example, LAK was ranked 9th overall and 2nd defensively, but they didn't even make the playoffs. Or Ottawa which is 21 on my list but were 12th in the standings last season. And the Cup winning Penguins are 11th.
That said, it is fairly accurate, with a correlation coefficient of 0.845.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
San Jose's defenders get a 6? They have the reigning Norris trophy winner, the guy who was just voted the best defensive defenseman in the league. They gave up the 5th fewest goals last season despite their starting goaltender posting league average SV%. Their defense also had the most goals for and was tied for the most points for IIRC. (This last part somebody may need to check)

Realistically, this isn't too fair of a ranking system because you are being very subjective in your opinions on a lot of teams and obviously haven't seen enough to comment.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
A chart with colors where we aren't told what the colors mean is utterly useless.

Yeah, it's bad form to include colors and not explain them, but it's worse form to be a jerk about it rather than put in a second or two of thinking to figure it out. I gathered very quickly that they are divisions and wildcards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad