My unscientific way to predict the regular season

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Very basic, just plugged in a rating out of 10 for each team's O, D and G and totalled it up to see what it comes out as playoff contenders.

Lines taken from here: http://www.chirphockey.com/nhl-line-combinations/

Got to say, the result is quite realistic IMO even if I don't particularly like it as a Buffalo fan.

10n7tsk.png

Of course it is easy to argue that goaltending doesn't have the same value as D and especially F but whatevs :laugh:

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Toronto, Chicago, and Calgary out? The Kings, Jets, and Panthers in? Yikes.

Florida isn't going anywhere, after losing Marchessault, Smith, Jagr, Jokinen, and Vanek. I'm still not completely sold on the Jets' goaltending, they have an awful coach, and I think Scheifele and Wheeler have had their career seasons and could regress (although I still quite like that team's future). And the Kings can't score and haven't really addressed that issue outside of Mike Cammalleri.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
Very basic, just plugged in a rating out of 10 for each team's O, D and G and totalled it up to see what it comes out as playoff contenders.

Lines taken from here: http://www.chirphockey.com/nhl-line-combinations/

Got to say, the result is quite realistic IMO even if I don't particularly like it as a Buffalo fan.

10n7tsk.png

Of course it is easy to argue that goaltending doesn't have the same value as D and especially F but whatevs :laugh:

Can't see how Ottawa gets a 7 on defense, but Edmonton only has a 5. Edmonton doesn't has a star like Karlsson, but Klefbom-Larsson is a legit top pairing and are 3 pairs deep.

Also, Dubnyk gets a 7, while Schneider gets a 9? Can't see why that is after last season

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe

Florida isn't going anywhere, after losing Marchessault, Smith, Jagr, Jokinen, and Vanek. I'm still not completely sold on the Jets' goaltending, they have an awful coach, and I think Scheifele and Wheeler have had their career seasons and could regress (although I still quite like that team's future). And the Kings can't score and haven't really addressed that issue outside of Mike Cammalleri.

Bolded's where the too much effect from G starts influencing things unfortunately. :D

I would not be shocked if any of the above you listed happen but can also easily see Toronto, Calgary making it and Kings and Panthers missing out. I think there's a good chance Chicago miss out and Jets to make it looking at purely roster constructions. Of course this also doesn't take into account fans, system, coaching, team atmosphere, schedule and so on. There's a lot of factors that come into play in the end.

*and injuries... ask Stamkos and Tampa about that one..

Last edited:

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Can't see how Ottawa gets a 7 on defense, but Edmonton only has a 5. Edmonton doesn't has a star like Karlsson, but Klefbom-Larsson is a legit top pairing and are 3 pairs deep.

Also, Dubnyk gets a 7, while Schneider gets a 9? Can't see why that is after last season

I would have put 8 or 9 for Minny if they didn't have Svedberg as a backup according to the line combo site I was using. Not that Kinkaid is amazing but whatever. Not saying this is like 100% accurate. On the D, Karlsson makes a difference. I know it's just 1 player but it makes a difference when he has a relatively acceptable surrounding cast.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
This is...elementary, my dear Watson.

But I did find it fun/interesting. Who knows, maybe it shakes out like this in 9 months, we'll see.

Apr 9, 2009
USA

Columbus went from nearly dead last to 4th. This method is probably as accurate as any. Most of the methods suck.

I'm not saying it's valid, but it's as valid as anything else because nothing works. :laugh:

member 157595

I choose the Cup winner by putting cat treats on printed copies of the team logos and seeing which one the cat chooses first.

I should note that the cat recently chose the Avalanche so I believe my method is flawed.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Why did the leafs goaltending get a 4?

Andersen is a pretty capable goalie... id imagine their goalie rating should be at least up to 8 unless backup goalies are included in which case I guess a 7 would be acceptable.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Why did the leafs goaltending get a 4?

Andersen is a pretty capable goalie... id imagine their goalie rating should be at least up to 8 unless backup goalies are included in which case I guess a 7 would be acceptable.

Backup included but obviously starter has bigger weight. Dont think Andersen is anything more than average NHL starter (a 5...) with downgrade to 4 due to backup.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
A subjective measure gets subjective results. Most notable thing would be Nashville getting an 8 in goaltending. Rinne hasn't had a good season in what, 5 years?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
For the Oilers this is pretty terrible- although you do get to a similar spot in the end

Forwards arent a 9- maybe a 7 at best. Defense is a 7 as id rank the D as being as impactful as the forwards (Klefbom/larsson just a criminally underrated top pairing), and Talbot is a 8 at min. So id say 22, but not far off from the 20 in the end

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
A subjective measure gets subjective results. Most notable thing would be Nashville getting an 8 in goaltending. Rinne hasn't had a good season in what, 5 years?

List seems entirely stereotypical from last 5/6 years. Agree that Rinne is not good whatsoever but still living off past hype

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Teams NHL ranks aren't usually too far off of the average of their GF & GA ranks. So a team that has an average of 15th (20th in GF, 10th in GA), will usually finish near 15th in the overall standings.

If you try to guess those GF and GA ranks, you might come closer to the actual standings.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Jeez..Nashville have quite a decent backup in Saros. And Pekka looked good last season...maybe 7 overall but whatever. They will make the playoffs regardless of goaltending. Think I went for 6 on Edmonton due to backup.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Pretty poor rankings. Throwing darts may have returned more realistic results if you're looking for an "unscientific" method.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Pretty poor rankings. Throwing darts may have returned more realistic results if you're looking for an "unscientific" method.

Cause Leafs don't make it? The west came out quite realistic I think in terms of overall qualification and wild cards. Maybe one of Calgary/Chicago makes it instead of LA/Minny for example but that's about it. The east is crapshoot any method you use so yeah, maybe next time I try darts for the east. Maybe that puts Toronto in the playoffs and all of a sudden this is the most valid method known to man.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
A chart with colors where we aren't told what the colors mean is utterly useless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad