My Switch = Officially Flipped (Tanking)

Embrace the tank or nah?

• Total voters

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
This. These was a time for tanking, and we didn't quite get there. After they changed the lottery so much I can't welcome losses.

If anything it's more and more apathy for me. I've reached that point each of the last 3 or 4 seasons, but it's come very very early this year. I only watched about 5 minutes of tonight's game, and I'm not really upset about it. If we start looking less ****ty I'll watch and probably care more, but right now I'm fresh out of ****s to give about tanking or winning. Hell even the OEL trade rumors don't really piss me off like they would have, it's just more crap heaped into the pile.

I start to fall into this boat last couple of seasons. Not really rooting for tanking... but hitting points of apathy when the Yotes were playing an exceptionally boring losing game. Last night I had some of it, which I am not a fan of.

PS idk if anyone can accuse the Yotes of tanking, last year. Went up a position in the last week of the season from second worst team to 3rd. Thus, ensuring a worse draft spot.

Kaner

Aug 3, 2007
I can't blame the current disaster on ownership. The guy got rid of the Ice Edge clowns, spent some money on Stepan, bit the bullet and spent cash firing Tippett, tried something different with management and coaching, and there hasn't been any reports of ownership vetoes preventing Chaika from acquiring pieces he coveted. From what I can tell, Chaika / Tocchet / Barroway all seemed to be on the same page to put forward a fast, young team playing high-tempo, entertaining hockey. That's what we've all been begging for for what... 10 years now?

Unfortunately, it turns out most of our prospects still need a lot of work (or simply might not be very good), out veteran additions (Stepan, Goligoski) are not providing a whole lot of leadership and are not taking ownership of the team, OEL has regressed (though last night gives me some hope), all of our Ds, even the vets, have forgotten how to play hockey, Strome has been a huge disappointment, and our head coach is in over his head. Turns out not having Malkin / Crosby / Kessel t owork with makes things a bit difficult. Who would have known?
Well, that is good to hear that you think top management is doing good job. That is what kind of picture I had in my head. Maybe the worst scenarions to you would be if the team moves to other city or if the whole project for success takes too long and you lose some key players. It would be nice if they somehow manage to build a new arena to a better location. That would stabiloze the situation little bit. But of course the team should start to succeed quite soon also. I hope thst Keller will continue his development, because it would be very good for the whole organization to have at least one superstar who would get more people to games and maybe get some trust to the whole rebuilding project.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Given our record, embracing/accepting the tank/early draft pick in a very good draft is really only option. We need to judge success on how team record and individual player performance improves as we go though the season. Solely judging things by win/loss record will remove any hope.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
What kind of owner is Barroway? How do you fans feel about him? I would love to see Coyotes succeed, but many times in these weak teams all the problems start from the top. And is there any rumours or anything about the new stadium, last news I found were from April or something. If looking at only the roster/prospect pool, Coyotes' future seems bright, but all other things should be more stable.

I think you could get a ton of various responses with this question.

Originally, I think a lot of people were happy with the direction of the team and how things took shape. But maybe that is something that we needed to tap the brakes on. Barroway bought out the rest of the partners to become the primary shareholder for the team. I think that he was intent on improving the team, but some of the other partners may not have shared his same vision. With that, it could be spun in a few different directions.

Is he power-hungry and wanted to be the sole decision maker for the direction to take?

Was the purpose of becoming the primary shareholder b/c there were a few shareholders who were not right for their positions, and it was just taking care of the inevitable?

Could he be the right owner to finally settle the arena situation, and he is bad at the management of a sports team, in general?

I don't know if anyone has the proper insight to Barroway's process or mind, but it does seem very interesting that he was very quick to apologize for things like not talking to Doan when it was decided to not continue forward with him, yet when the team appears to be at its darkest, there is literally nothing mentioned by him to give any sort of reassurance in the process or anything like that. It almost makes him appear to be the "know-it-all" where he managed to buy out the shareholders b/c he knew the direction to move the team in, and he didn't want anyone interfering. Now, that looks like a really bad decision, although still early.

The above is pure speculation on my part, but I just think it is odd that Barroway was pretty upfront about mistakes made with handling Doan, but he is not acknowledging that some of those decisions have maybe not gone as well as planned and there is an element of silence about those decisions. I think he had good intentions, but sometimes good intentions don't work out.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I stopped caring about tanking after the Matthews sweepstakes. I love tanking as much as the next guy, but the f***y lottery odds make it pointless to root for, IMO.

Reactions: Yandover

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'm against tanking in principle, but especially for this team - I'm so sick and tired of the endless cycle of sucking, getting good (not great) draft picks, going to a rebuild movement, and just never taking the next step. I mean, I'm pretty sure this season's lost, but tanking is a great way to push cynicism in the fan base to the next level. And while Dahlin and Svechnikov are probably both very promising, they're not McDavid/Matthews level sure things.

I want to see a sign of forward progress. I haven't seen one since 2012 with this team until Keller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad