My Switch = Officially Flipped (Tanking)

Embrace the tank or nah?

• Total voters

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Well shit boys (and ladies, if there are any.) It happened.

Each year there comes a time where i decide if i want to continue to root for this team to win, or hope for losses to secure a decent draft pick. It came a little earlier this year. Barring some incredible run, we aren't making the playoffs.

I will never root for this team to fail, i still celebrate goals (especially by guys who need them, or my personal favorites) but I am no longer mad at losses, and i even welcome them. I still like to see them compete and keep games interesting.

Anybody else at this point yet?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
No obviously franchise altering player + lottery odds = no. I didn't get there last season and I won't this one.

Reactions: Yandover

RABBIT

You have to think that we have a better chance if we finish dead last. McEichel we were 2nd last, Matthews we didn't really even have a chance. The lottery is crazy as shit, but the chances of last year repeating are slim(mer.)

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Instead of dreaming of winning the lottery I like to dream of Dylan Strome being recalled and turning into a #1 C in the span of about 10 games. Not sure which one is more fanciful tbh but I can see the arguments for both sides.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
No obviously franchise altering player + lottery odds = no. I didn't get there last season and I won't this one.
This. These was a time for tanking, and we didn't quite get there. After they changed the lottery so much I can't welcome losses.

If anything it's more and more apathy for me. I've reached that point each of the last 3 or 4 seasons, but it's come very very early this year. I only watched about 5 minutes of tonight's game, and I'm not really upset about it. If we start looking less shitty I'll watch and probably care more, but right now I'm fresh out of f***s to give about tanking or winning. Hell even the OEL trade rumors don't really piss me off like they would have, it's just more crap heaped into the pile.

Reactions: Lady Macbeth

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Tank Commander Tocchet and his crew of OEL, Stepan, Goligoski, Richardson (oh look, all the assistant captains) are rolling through Downtown Phoenix in a f***ing Abrams, firing at anyone remotely interested in winning..

But I won't be a part of it. I'm done embracing the tank, I've done it for the past 5 years and I'm tired. We're all tired. Send help.

Reactions: O23L

RABBIT

Let me be clear, I don't think tanking should be seen as a go-to each year. Accountability should be a factor.

But one of the best defensive prospects in the past 10 years is available at number one. I can suck it up for one more year, especially seeing as our chances at playoffs are slim to none

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I just want us to get better. No point in getting excited about another turris or domi if we have nothing to build on.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Probably worth pointing out that whether we embrace it or not is pretty irrelevant at the current trajectory :snide:

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I just want us to get better. No point in getting excited about another turris or domi if we have nothing to build on.
This is where I'm at. I expected our record to be shit and it's going to be. Hopefully we are playing a lot better by the end of the season than we are now with Strome, Crouse and hopefully Merkley and another young D are playing regularly. We're not getting the top pick no matter what. That's the only think I'm completely sure of.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Let me be clear, I don't think tanking should be seen as a go-to each year. Accountability should be a factor.

But one of the best defensive prospects in the past 10 years is available at number one. I can suck it up for one more year, especially seeing as our chances at playoffs are slim to none
If it would make a big difference lottery wise I'd agree more, and I guess it still helps because there's less spaces to fall. Cheering for the tank in hopes of a top player though, just seems like setting yourself up for disappointment. I guess it's just that I've seen this movie before, and know how it ends. We have a terrible unentertaining season, our top players want to leave, and we still don't get that top player.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I used to take a great deal of pride in having season tickets for so many years. Now I'm just happy I'm not wasting my money going to these games.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I really thought the team would be much improved this year. I liked the off season aquisitions (except giving up the 7th overall pick).

I want to see the team improve.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'm indifferent. If they win and continue to improve, I'm stoked. If they lose, it's better for draft position. The problem is creating a losing culture among the players. It can be poison. I really want to hold out hope that this team can pull it together. On paper we've never looked better. But reality is starting to set in a bit.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Tanking was great when the damage was limited, it was going to hopefully get a coach fired, and the team hadn't spent all summer trying to be competitive.

Cheering for tanking now is dumb.

Reactions: kbay

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
You have to think that we have a better chance if we finish dead last. McEichel we were 2nd last, Matthews we didn't really even have a chance. The lottery is crazy as ****, but the chances of last year repeating are slim(mer.)
18%
That's how good of chance they have if they finish dead last. Eight...f***ing...teen percent.
So no, I'm not in on tanking in the slightest.

Kaner

Aug 3, 2007
What kind of owner is Barroway? How do you fans feel about him? I would love to see Coyotes succeed, but many times in these weak teams all the problems start from the top. And is there any rumours or anything about the new stadium, last news I found were from April or something. If looking at only the roster/prospect pool, Coyotes' future seems bright, but all other things should be more stable.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Schedule and goaltending are key contributors to the bad start. The schedule eases come January and assuming Raanta/Wedgie stay healthy we'll move up to 4th worst record and draft 7th.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Tanking is a bad idea for where the team is at this point. I don't really buy the "OEL is sick of losing and wants out" narrative, but every loss that gets us closer to Dahlin or Svechnikov (and finishing dead last only gives us a 34% chance of a top 2 pick anyway) risks alienating a valuable young player, whether it's OEL or Domi or whoever. There's also something to be said for building a winning culture.

That said, while intentionally tanking is a bad idea, this team does not look like it's better than a bottom 5 finish even when it's trying to win.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
What kind of owner is Barroway? How do you fans feel about him? I would love to see Coyotes succeed, but many times in these weak teams all the problems start from the top. And is there any rumours or anything about the new stadium, last news I found were from April or something. If looking at only the roster/prospect pool, Coyotes' future seems bright, but all other things should be more stable.

I can't blame the current disaster on ownership. The guy got rid of the Ice Edge clowns, spent some money on Stepan, bit the bullet and spent cash firing Tippett, tried something different with management and coaching, and there hasn't been any reports of ownership vetoes preventing Chaika from acquiring pieces he coveted. From what I can tell, Chaika / Tocchet / Barroway all seemed to be on the same page to put forward a fast, young team playing high-tempo, entertaining hockey. That's what we've all been begging for for what... 10 years now?

Unfortunately, it turns out most of our prospects still need a lot of work (or simply might not be very good), out veteran additions (Stepan, Goligoski) are not providing a whole lot of leadership and are not taking ownership of the team, OEL has regressed (though last night gives me some hope), all of our Ds, even the vets, have forgotten how to play hockey, Strome has been a huge disappointment, and our head coach is in over his head. Turns out not having Malkin / Crosby / Kessel t owork with makes things a bit difficult. Who would have known?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad