My Prediction

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm not saying systems aren't important, they are. I also posted that you need good players to execute it. Just like having a bad system with good players won't win, the same goes for a good system and bad players.

I think it's easier to hire a coach that can run a good system than it is to find #1 defencemen. That's why I'd prioritize getting a 1D.

The point I am trying to make is that a strong system will compensate for a roster that needs improvement.
Tippett has shown that effect with his time in Arizona. That has been posted over and over already.

In terms of the Oilers the defence obviously doesnt have a #1 dman but it doesnt matter. A team doesnt need a #1 dman to be a successful team.

For you to go on and on about the lack of a #1 dman as if its a determining factor in a teams success is puzzling to me because there is so much evidence to the contrary.

onetweasy

Oct 16, 2005
Well I am not locking the Oilers into a playoff spot I do find it funny how others teams question marks are completely ignored.

Blackhawks played well down the stretch when the season was lost and they were playing with house money. Seen a few Oiler teams do this only to fall flat on their face in the fall. Lehner could easily be a one hit wonder.

Flames - Tkachuk could hold out, what are the chances Gio repeats a historic season from a D man over 35 years old, goalie tandem is questionable. Lost a top 4 d man in Valamaki already to injury.

Sharks lost Pavelski which will have a bigger impact than is being discussed.

Vegas - maybe Fluery has a down year which would expose their D Corp.....

All the unknowns aside - I will say that if our goalies can give us a .910 sv % we will make the playoffs.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm so scared from all the years of losing.
All I do is hope.
Deep down I'm pessimistic on an annual basis, but I keep on telling myself to hope for a little magic for the team to play above expectations.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Here's my bold prediction: if this shoddy-at-best goaltending tandem exceeds expectations, there are no major injuries to core players, magic beans like Nygard and Haas are able to make the immense leap to the NHL, reclamation projects like Neal somehow play better on a worse team, and if at least 2 rookies (1 d and 1 winger) step up and suddenly become effective NHLers, then this team will have a shot at competing for a wildcard spot.

Not trying to be a downer but I really don't see it any other way, the roster is butt-ugly and the core players on this team have gotta be harbouring some doubts at this point.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Well I am not locking the Oilers into a playoff spot I do find it funny how others teams question marks are completely ignored.

Blackhawks played well down the stretch when the season was lost and they were playing with house money. Seen a few Oiler teams do this only to fall flat on their face in the fall. Lehner could easily be a one hit wonder.

Flames - Tkachuk could hold out, what are the chances Gio repeats a historic season from a D man over 35 years old, goalie tandem is questionable. Lost a top 4 d man in Valamaki already to injury.

Sharks lost Pavelski which will have a bigger impact than is being discussed.

Vegas - maybe Fluery has a down year which would expose their D Corp.....

All the unknowns aside - I will say that if our goalies can give us a .910 sv % we will make the playoffs.

People have been predicting doom and gloom for Gio for years and the man went out and won a freaking Norris at 35. I’ll believe it when it happens and not before.

The thing is, yes, other teams have one or two question marks - no doubt about it. We have half a dozen or more. All over the lineup.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
for sure. It's not the NBA, so anyone has a chance.

I still have major issues with the roster, but then again if they were fixed, we'd be a contender. It's not like making the playoffs is such an accomplishment

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad