My Prediction

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think we are in the hunt till the final few days of the season, then win the draft lottery.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I hope you're right but I don't see it unfortunately.

San Jose, Vegas, and Calgary remain much better than us on paper.

St, Louis, Colorado, Nashville and Dallas should be locks in the other conference.

The last playoff spot should be a toss up between Winnipeg (who I think will be significantly worse and is seeing their window slam shut) Minnesota, Chicago, Arizona, Vancouver, and us. The only "no hope at all" team I see is LA.

Chicago will be really interesting. They've got a nice mix of vets and youth and played some really good hockey down the stretch... but that said, it was only after they were miles out of it and they'll give up a ton more chances than the Isles did. Curious to see how Lehner holds up in a more "trade chances" style defence.

the league will go bananas trying to get any of LA, Anaheim, Arizona, (soon Seattle) into the playoffs as well.....so really edmonton will have to be the best team in the west to barely make the playoffs.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
They will have to compete for a wildcard spot if they do I just can’t see them finishing better than Vegas, Sharks or Flames!

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I’ve been saying that for the last 2 seasons we would have been a playoff team if it wasn’t for Talbot’s crap goaltending. League average goaltending and team confidence in the goalie would have got us in regardless of no secondary scoring or injuries.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
I admire the belief. I hope it happens.
Pessimistic though I am, I promise I'd be just as happy as the optimists.

As it is, I predict we miss again unfortunately.
How I see it shaking out prediction-wise with one line reasons...

Central
Preds - 1st Place - IN - Topped the division last year. GA did not suffer without Subban. GF and league worst PP addressed with Duchene.
Blues - 2nd Place - IN - They've found a cup-winning playing style, identity and a goalie. Out to prove it's no fluke
Stars - 3rd Place - IN - Unreal goaltending, top 5 defense in the league. Tangible, productive veteran top 6 help added with Pavelski.
Avs - 4th Place - IN - Easily league best off-season, effortlessly added a 2nd line. Squeaked in last year, but primed to play today's fast NHL.
Hawks - 5th Place - IN - Played excellent hockey down the stretch post coaching change and Lehner is going steal them a playoff spot.
Jets - 6th Place - OUT - Their D-core just got nuked. Lost key players everywhere (Tanev/Lemieux/Hayes/Myers/Trouba). Can they afford both RFA's?
Wild - 7th Place - OUT - Just too much going in the wrong direction from a poor, short, damaging GM run.

Pacific
Sharks - 1st Place - IN - Arguably the 2 best producing defensemen in the league to go with a long history of successful, consistent top 9 efforts.
Vegas - 2nd Place - IN - Like the Blues, they have a well coached identity/style that they play with to perfection. Shafted by zebras last year in round 1.
Flames - 3rd Place - IN - No key changes to a 1st place team last year. Top 9 solid, and Giordano's the real deal (puked typing that).
Yotes - 4th Place - OUT - Team has literally one problem (scoring). A team with no firepower added Kessel and can repeat that GA w/o blinking.
Nucks - 5th Place - OUT - Kids on ELC's actually contributing. Myers. Hughes/Pettersson 2 of the most exciting kids at their positions in the league.
Oilers - 6th Place - OUT - Another off-season (yes handcuffed) w/o proven, substantial additions to our top 6 F or top 4 D. Relying on lots of "ifs" again.
Ducks - 7th Place - OUT - Did literally nothing. Old core getting older still. No kids capable of replacing prime Getzlaf/Perry/Kesler. And Eakins.
Kings - 8th Place - OUT - Just an aged out core. The vets will string together some wins, but this team needs to rebuild hard.

Last edited:

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Must be just about September. The board has optimism again! It’s been the same thing for about 12 out of the last 13 seasons.

I got crucified last year about this time saying there was no way we had a playoff team because we had no offensive depth. One guy offered to bet me real money in one of the threads.

This year though I think our depth has improved, but we still don’t have the players up front outside of our big 3 to put us in, to me we are 2 45-55 point wingers away from being a playoff team. I don’t think your getting that from Kassian, Neal, or Chiasson this year so we will again be searching for top 6 players that can actually offensively impact a game.

Reactions: Porkleaker

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Must be just about September. The board has optimism again! It’s been the same thing for about 12 out of the last 13 seasons.

I got crucified last year about this time saying there was no way we had a playoff team because we had no offensive depth. One guy offered to bet me real money in one of the threads.

This year though I think our depth has improved, but we still don’t have the players up front outside of our big 3 to put us in, to me we are 2 45-55 point wingers away from being a playoff team. I don’t think your getting that from Kassian, Neal, or Chiasson this year so we will again be searching for top 6 players that can actually offensively impact a game.

Goal scoring was a bit of an issue last season but it wasnt the worst problem. They were 4th in the Pacific for GF and thats with a bottom 6 that was so bad it will likely never be repeated. So I expect them to be 3rd in the Pacific this season in GF.
Their biggest problem is GA and its funny because every single poster that predicts another underwhelming season never accounts for that.
A system makes a world of difference in terms of GA and I see that being a massive turnaround next season.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Goal scoring was a bit of an issue last season but it wasnt the worst problem. They were 4th in the Pacific for GF and thats with a bottom 6 that was so bad it will likely never be repeated. So I expect them to be 3rd in the Pacific this season in GF.
Their biggest problem is GA and its funny because every single poster that predicts another underwhelming season never accounts for that.
A system makes a world of difference in terms of GA and I see that being a massive turnaround next season.

To be fair, pretty much every team above us has a bonafide starting goaltender and we're stuck with two goalies that had a worse SV% than more goalies than there are teams in the league.
Many teams above us also have #1Ds. Which teams in the West can you name have a worse goalie and a worse top defenceman than us?
Systems definitely help, but they only work well if you have the personnel to execute.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
To be fair, pretty much every team above us has a bonafide starting goaltender and we're stuck with two goalies that had a worse SV% than more goalies than there are teams in the league.
Many teams above us also have #1Ds. Which teams in the West can you name have a worse goalie and a worse top defenceman than us?
Systems definitely help, but they only work well if you have the personnel to execute.

I dont agree with that. Smith was ultimately the better goalie in Calgary which is why he was the starter in the playoffs.
With Smith gone I dont see how they improved their goaltending and the Oilers got worse getting Smith.

Regarding the #1 D...how did that help Calgary in the playoffs?

A strong system can make an average team good and a weak system can make a good team average.
A strong system isnt supplemental as you are suggesting...its critical.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
It’s more about returning his glove hand to pre-Schwartz levels. Every goalie that comes in here gradually has their glove hand coached into oblivion by Schwartz.

Scrivens, Talbot, Koskinen.

It’s like clockwork.
I hear you my dude. Schwartz is a goalie-killer. Would love to have Mitch Korn and Piero Greco here instead.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I dont agree with that. Smith was ultimately the better goalie in Calgary which is why he was the starter in the playoffs.
With Smith gone I dont see how they improved their goaltending and the Oilers got worse getting Smith.

Regarding the #1 D...how did that help Calgary in the playoffs?

A strong system can make an average team good and a weak system can make a good team average.
A strong system isnt supplemental as you are suggesting...its critical.

That #1 defenceman helped them get the top seed in the division while ours has his annual injury while we finished 2nd last. Their defence and system wasnt why they got bounced early, it's because Gaudreau isn't a big game player and their offensive guys ran dry.

Smith wasn't the goalie that got them in the playoffs.

Oct 15, 2008
They did not do near to even close enough changes in the off season to make a serious run at the playoffs.

They hired Tippet, signed Mike Smith and traded for a guy who scored less than Lucic did.

That and one or two Condors ain’t gonna do it. Y’all just settin yourselves up for disappointment. Again.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That #1 defenceman helped them get the top seed in the division while ours has his annual injury while we finished 2nd last. Their defence and system wasnt why they got bounced early, it's because Gaudreau isn't a big game player and their offensive guys ran dry.

Smith wasn't the goalie that got them in the playoffs.

Actually Smith was the goalie that got them into the playoffs...and kept them in the series.
When the heat got turned up...Riitich wilted.
Its fine if you have your own reasons for not liking Smith but dont try to invent things.

Secondly...the reason Calgary lost wasnt due to 1 player...thats a ridiculous over simplification.
It sounds to me like you didnt even watch the series.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
My first ever thread guys so don't judge me, I joined this great board last year and I love it so I am going to make a contribution, even if it is dumb.

Okay guys... I will make a prediction right now... If I am wrong, ban me for whatever you guys think is appropriate. I believe that the Edmonton Oilers will make the playoffs next year
If EDM can stay healthy and the young players can actually step up and contribute consistently, I think so. But if any one of those two don't end up happening, I don't think so.

Reactions: KYams17

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Actually Smith was the goalie that got them into the playoffs...and kept them in the series.
When the heat got turned up...Riitich wilted.
Its fine if you have your own reasons for not liking Smith but dont try to invent things.

Secondly...the reason Calgary lost wasnt due to 1 player...thats a ridiculous over simplification.
It sounds to me like you didnt even watch the series.

In what way did Smith get them into the playoffs? I'm not denying that he looked great in the Avs series. I'm not sure what you think I invented?

I didn't say it was due to one player, perhaps you missed the part where I said their offensive players ran dry. Gaudreau had one assist in 5 games. Do you really want to argue that he can't be blamed?

I watched 3 series in the first round, and that was one of them. I saw Gaudreau smashing his stick in frustration in the elimination game when the Flames were forcing him the puck and he couldn't do a thing with it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
In what way did Smith get them into the playoffs? I'm not denying that he looked great in the Avs series. I'm not sure what you think I invented?

I didn't say it was due to one player, perhaps you missed the part where I said their offensive players ran dry. Gaudreau had one assist in 5 games. Do you really want to argue that he can't be blamed?

I watched 3 series in the first round, and that was one of them. I saw Gaudreau smashing his stick in frustration in the elimination game when the Flames were forcing him the puck and he couldn't do a thing with it.

If you watched the series then you know that Colorado badly outskated the Flames. Puck possession was also a factor. Smith was the only reason that series wasnt a sweep for Colorado.

Also...if you watched the Flames in the last 20 games of the season then you know that Smith was clearly the better goalie. Thats why he started in the playoffs.
As I said...Ritcih wilted when the games became tougher.

So again...I dont understand why you would claim Calgarys goaltending improved with Smiths departure and Talbots arrival.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
If you watched the series then you know that Colorado badly outskated the Flames. Puck possession was also a factor. Smith was the only reason that series wasnt a sweep for Colorado.

Also...if you watched the Flames in the last 20 games of the season then you know that Smith was clearly the better goalie. Thats why he started in the playoffs.
As I said...Ritcih wilted when the games became tougher.

So again...I dont understand why you would claim Calgarys goaltending improved with Smiths departure and Talbots arrival.

Ok, I guess I didn't watch the series then? Even though I hadn't denied any of that?

Smith won 10 of his last 20 games. Sure, that 0.500 was what squeaked them into the playoffs. If you say so. And I didn't say Calgary improved their goaltending, you're now the one inventing things.

Do you even know what you're arguing about anymore? My original point is that we need to improve our defense. You seem to think that Calgary isn't better off by having a #1 defenceman despite Calgary winning the division but seemed to point out that said #1 defenceman didn't help them in playoffs (apparently you can point out an individual player to blame but I can't with Gaudreau). I argued that it wasn't the defence that cost them the series. Now we're talking about Smith.

Back to my original point, we need a top defenceman to get into the playoffs

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Ok, I guess I didn't watch the series? Even though I hadn't denied any of that?.

You claimed it was primarily Gaudreau and offense. Hard to score when you dont have the puck.

Smith won 10 of his last 20 games. Sure, that 0.500 was what squeaked them into the playoffs. If you say so. And I didn't say Calgary improved their goaltending, you're now the one inventing things.

You said....Which teams in the West can you name have a worse goalie?
Calgary was my example and yet you choose to push back on that.
Compare Smiths save percentage to Ritich in the last part of the season. That will give you an idea of who the better goalie was when the games tightened up.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
You claimed it was primarily Gaudreau and offense. Hard to score when you dont have the puck.

You said....Which teams in the West can you name have a worse goalie?
Calgary was my example and yet you choose to push back on that.
Compare Smiths save percentage to Ritich in the last part of the season. That will give you an idea of who the better goalie was when the games tightened up.

You're acting as if Calgary losing the series can be pinpointed to one thing. Isn't it possible that we can both be right?

And I also said to name a team with a worse goalie and worse top defenceman.
Rittich/Giordano > Smith or Koskinen/Klefbom

Do you disagree?

Rittich played and won more games than Smith last season. In my books, I'd consider him the Flames starter last season. And yes, I think he's better than Smith and Koskinen.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You're acting as if Calgary losing the series can be pinpointed to one thing. Isn't it possible that we can both be right?

And I also said to name a team with a worse goalie and worse top defenceman.
Rittich/Giordano > Smith or Koskinen/Klefbom

Do you disagree?

Rittich played and won more games than Smith last season. In my books, I'd consider him the Flames starter last season. And yes, I think he's better than Smith and Koskinen.

I am simply suggesting to you that the system is a bigger deal than you are portraying. Its not an add on...its the core.
A strong system can compensate for deficiencies. Thats been proven time and time again.

As for goaltending....Rittich is unproven when the games get tough. Smith isnt.

Regarding the playoff series. When you dont have the puck you are going to struggle on offense. So the reason for the struggling offence was a lack of puck possession and opportunities.
Colorado skated the Flames and their defence into the ice.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I am simply suggesting to you that the system is a bigger deal than you are portraying. Its not an add on...its the core.
A strong system can compensate for deficiencies. Thats been proven time and time again.

As for goaltending....Rittich is unproven when the games get tough. Smith isnt.

Regarding the playoff series. When you dont have the puck you are going to struggle on offense. So the reason for the struggling offence was a lack of puck possession and opportunities.
Colorado skated the Flames and their defence into the ice.

I'm not saying systems aren't important, they are. I also posted that you need good players to execute it. Just like having a bad system with good players won't win, the same goes for a good system and bad players.

I think it's easier to hire a coach that can run a good system than it is to find #1 defencemen. That's why I'd prioritize getting a 1D.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I admire the belief. I hope it happens.
Pessimistic though I am, I promise I'd be just as happy as the optimists.

As it is, I predict we miss again unfortunately.
How I see it shaking out prediction-wise with one line reasons...

Central
Preds - 1st Place - IN - Topped the division last year. GA did not suffer without Subban. GF and league worst PP addressed with Duchene.
Blues - 2nd Place - IN - They've found a cup-winning playing style, identity and a goalie. Out to prove it's no fluke
Stars - 3rd Place - IN - Unreal goaltending, top 5 defense in the league. Tangible, productive veteran top 6 help added with Pavelski.
Avs - 4th Place - IN - Easily league best off-season, effortlessly added a 2nd line. Squeaked in last year, but primed to play today's fast NHL.
Hawks - 5th Place - IN - Played excellent hockey down the stretch post coaching change and Lehner is going steal them a playoff spot.
Jets - 6th Place - OUT - Their D-core just got nuked. Lost key players everywhere (Tanev/Lemieux/Hayes/Myers/Trouba). Can they afford both RFA's?
Wild - 7th Place - OUT - Just too much going in the wrong direction from a poor, short, damaging GM run.

Pacific
Sharks - 1st Place - IN - Arguably the 2 best producing defensemen in the league to go with a long history of successful, consistent top 9 efforts.
Vegas - 2nd Place - IN - Like the Blues, they have a well coached identity/style that they play with to perfection. Shafted by zebras last year in round 1.
Flames - 3rd Place - IN - No key changes to a 1st place team last year. Top 9 solid, and Giordano's the real deal (puked typing that).
Yotes - 4th Place - OUT - Team has literally one problem (scoring). A team with no firepower added Kessel and can repeat that GA w/o blinking.
Nucks - 5th Place - OUT - Kids on ELC's actually contributing. Myers. Hughes/Pettersson 2 of the most exciting kids at their positions in the league.
Oilers - 6th Place - OUT - Another off-season (yes handcuffed) w/o proven, substantial additions to our top 6 F or top 4 D. Relying on lots of "ifs" again.
Ducks - 7th Place - OUT - Did literally nothing. Old core getting older still. No kids capable of replacing prime Getzlaf/Perry/Kesler. And Eakins.
Kings - 8th Place - OUT - Just an aged out core. The vets will string together some wins, but this team needs to rebuild hard.
Jets and Hawks are the only thing I’d switch up here.

Reactions: ToeMcDrag83

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's great to think they're going to make the playoffs, but who do they realistically depose?

The two wild card teams beefed up in the offseason and there's no reason to think the Blues/Jets/Preds/Knights/Sharks are going anywhere. The Flames might fall back a bit but they're still a top 3 team in the division.

The saving grace is that the Pacific is a pretty weak division but other than that...

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
This is exactly what I mean. It's one thing to just say 'I think we'll be a playoff team' but I'd love for these posters to explain which teams we're better than and why.
We're nowhere near The top-3 seeds lasts year, so we're competing for 2 spots with
2 of Stars (improved with Pavelski and a year older defensive core), Blues (just won the cup), Avalanche (an emerging division favorite in the Central) and Jets & Preds who are in the same category as CGY/SJ/VGK.

Then you have Chicago and Arizona who finished ahead of us last season with their starting goalies out virtually the entire season, and the Yotes acquired Kessel and Schmaltz I'm the process.

On paper we're arguably worse than last year's roster. I can't see the logic.

I don't endeavour to be a debbie downer - despite some opinions of me - but we simply haven't done enough. Neal's a huge question mark. Nygard should be a nice third line add but we lack a centre for him to play with in that spot. Ditto Archibald. Granlund is the definition of mediocre. Lots of question marks everywhere.

Basically we'll need .920 goaltending from a tandem that I do not believe is remotely capable of that, near-repeat seasons from Draisaitl and Chiasson, decent seasons from virtually all the new additions, including Persson, near perfect health, Benson or Yamamoto making the jump to legitimate 2nd line player, some help in the form of a crossover spot and someone else that's earmarked for the playoffs failing to meet expectations. We couldn't jump on Vegas last year and I don't think we'll be able to take advantage of my falling candidate this season (Winnipeg)

I think we'll be slightly better than last year and finish in the 82-88 point range, but that won't be enough.

Reactions: Anarchism

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->