Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Stevens Lemieux Jagr
Recchi Crosby Malkin
Straka Lang Kovalev
Tocchet Francis Kehoe

Besides of course Lemieux and Jagr, those were 2 players I loved while in Pittsburgh. Really underrated, especially Straka, will never forget that series and games 6-7 against the Devils

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
good call TD, Burrows definitely deserves to be on the team. probably Ron Stackhouse as well.

here's a possibly incomplete list i drew up of all-time Norris finishes for Penguins defensemen.

The Norris has usually slanted tower the offensive type d-men, so I am not surprised that Burrows finishes are not higher than what they are.

Burrows was one of the best "defensive" d-men of his era. Not going to give you much offense, but a true shut down guy on D. Those types are usually not going to be remembered, as they aren't flashy or putting up stats, but what he did was definitely special.

Nice list Crafton, interesting to see.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
The Norris has usually slanted tower the offensive type d-men, so I am not surprised that Burrows finishes are not higher than what they are.

Burrows was one of the best "defensive" d-men of his era. Not going to give you much offense, but a true shut down guy on D. Those types are usually not going to be remembered, as they aren't flashy or putting up stats, but what he did was definitely special.

Burrows was a rock on defense. Even on teams that weren't interested in playing defense, he stood out. I just actually LOLed at the thought of Stackhouse playing in the era of HF boards. Talk about whipping boys. He was very unfairly criticized by Pens fans, and he was a very good player, but not in the class of Zubov, Gonch, and other "offensive" defensemen.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009

Yeah exactly, he did fare well in some coaches polls asked who the best defensive defensemen were.

1974: Best Defensive Defenceman - Bill White (Borje Salming, Jacques Laperriere, Rod Seiling, Dave Burrows)

1976: Best Defensive Defenceman - Larry Robinson (Bill White, Denis Potvin, Dave Burrows, Terry Harper)

1980: Best Defensive Defenseman - 1 Larry Robinson 2 Serge Savard 3 Dave Burrows

zidell*

This team would CRUSH!
Wish I could see this line-up against other team's best-ever.

Moved a couple positions to fit guys, and so many other excellent players(Cullen, Mullen, Straka, Morozov, Quinn, Pronovost, Carlyle, to name a few) had made this a hard choice.

But this, would be my all time Pens team to ice... A couple guys on the 4th are before my time...I remember their names, but was too young to remember their play, plus the tv only got Leaf games back then, until the playoffs :) but I'm sure you can't go wrong with them, so I included them as well, to encompass the early days.

First line:
Kevin Stevens Mario Lemieux Jaromir Jagr

2nd:
Mark Recchi Evgeni Malkin James Neal

3rd:
Chris Kunitz Sidney Crosby Rick Tocchet

4th:
Rick Kehoe Ron Francis Syl Apps

and on the D:
Paul Coffey Kris Letang
Larry Murphy Sergei Gonchar
Kevin Hatcher Sergei Zubov

PP:
Malkin Lemieux Crosby
Coffey Letang
!!!

If there's an NHL heaven to go to(like Field Of Dreams), I'm requesting this! :yo:

Gonchar is a joke, right? He was horrible 2 of his 5 years here and mediocre one other. The only team Hatcher belongs on is the all nightmare team. I'm going to guess that you must be under 15 years old to pick these guys and leave off Burrows and Carlyles. Likewise, Jean Pronovost. He averaged 40 a year over a 5 year span for the Pens. And Neal and Kunitz aren't even in the same league with that.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Burrows was a rock on defense. Even on teams that weren't interested in playing defense, he stood out. I just actually LOLed at the thought of Stackhouse playing in the era of HF boards. Talk about whipping boys. He was very unfairly criticized by Pens fans, and he was a very good player, but not in the class of Zubov, Gonch, and other "offensive" defensemen.

Agreed on Stackhouse. Not a top tier offensive dmen, but above average. Exactly on the whipping boy status. Probably the poster boy of Pen's whipping boys. Boy did he get booed mercilessly. So much that it really did scar him. I heard interviews with him on local shows and he really hated the fans here for how he was treated. He has tempered that view somewhat in interview I heard with him, around 5 years ago. But it still stung.

Yeah exactly, he did fare well in some coaches polls asked who the best defensive defensemen were.

1974: Best Defensive Defenceman - Bill White (Borje Salming, Jacques Laperriere, Rod Seiling, Dave Burrows)

1976: Best Defensive Defenceman - Larry Robinson (Bill White, Denis Potvin, Dave Burrows, Terry Harper)

1980: Best Defensive Defenseman - 1 Larry Robinson 2 Serge Savard 3 Dave Burrows

Wow, thanks Scuds for pulling that out. I never saw that. But I am not surprised. He was very well regarded by his peers. That is some great company he is in.

Glad to see some Burrows love in this thread. I know it is difficult because most likely, 90+% of the posters here never got a chance to see him play.

(as an OT aside....thinking of very underrated players in NHL history, and on HF boards, is Mark Howe. Obviously when you are the son of Gordie Howe, that is a long shadow to dodge. But Mark was incredible. One of the best two way dmen I have ever seen. A very worthy HOF member. I know the plus/minus stat can be a very misused one, and needs context, but I love this one regarding Mark Howe. In '85-86, Howe was a league best +85, his partner, Brad McCrimmon was +83. The next best on his team was Rich Sutter at +28. That's insane.

Last edited:

SteelFish87*

put a lot of thought in this and only picked guys I've seen play since i started watching in late 80s

Stevens-Lemieux-Jagr
Malkin-Crosby-Tocchet (Tocchet is the exact type of player that Sid needs)
Straka-Francis-Kovalev
Recchi-Trottier-Mullen (only issue is both Mullen and Recchi were RWs)

Coffey-Murphy
U.Samuelsson-Letang
Kasparaitis-K.Samuelsson
(wanted to pair up Ulf and Kaspar but both are lefties)

Barrasso

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
put a lot of thought in this and only picked guys I've seen play since i started watching in late 80s

Stevens-Lemieux-Jagr
Malkin-Crosby-Tocchet (Tocchet is the exact type of player that Sid needs)
Straka-Francis-Kovalev
Recchi-Trottier-Mullen (only issue is both Mullen and Recchi were RWs)

Coffey-Murphy
U.Samuelsson-Letang
Kasparaitis-K.Samuelsson
(wanted to pair up Ulf and Kaspar but both are lefties)

Barrasso

This line-up is hawt.

Onan

Aug 13, 2007
This team would CRUSH!
Wish I could see this line-up against other team's best-ever.

Moved a couple positions to fit guys, and so many other excellent players(Cullen, Mullen, Straka, Morozov, Quinn, Pronovost, Carlyle, to name a few) had made this a hard choice.

But this, would be my all time Pens team to ice... A couple guys on the 4th are before my time...I remember their names, but was too young to remember their play, plus the tv only got Leaf games back then, until the playoffs :) but I'm sure you can't go wrong with them, so I included them as well, to encompass the early days.

First line:
Kevin Stevens Mario Lemieux Jaromir Jagr

2nd:
Mark Recchi Evgeni Malkin James Neal

3rd:
Chris Kunitz Sidney Crosby Rick Tocchet

4th:
Rick Kehoe Ron Francis Syl Apps

and on the D:
Paul Coffey Kris Letang
Larry Murphy Sergei Gonchar
Kevin Hatcher Sergei Zubov

PP:
Malkin Lemieux Crosby
Coffey Letang
!!!

If there's an NHL heaven to go to(like Field Of Dreams), I'm requesting this! :yo:

I think Marian Hossa had better chemistry with Crosby than Kunitz and i think Marian Hossa is better player than Kunitz.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
I think Marian Hossa had better chemistry with Crosby than Kunitz and i think Marian Hossa is better player than Kunitz.

And Tim Horton (not while he was a Penguin at 42) was better than Larry Murphy, but I think most people were considering a player's career with the Penguin alone rather than their overall career.

Onan

Aug 13, 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onan

And Tim Horton (not while he was a Penguin at 42) was better than Larry Murphy, but I think most people were considering a player's career with the Penguin alone rather than their overall career.

Marian Hossa got 1,3 points per playoff game (more than Crosby for example) with the penguins. I call it very good career with the organization.

Last edited:

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Marian Hossa got 1,3 points per playoff game (more than Crosby for example) with the penguins. I call it very good career with the organization.

Right but it was for 20 games, Crosby has played 82 playoff games (and outscored Hossa in those 20 games). If he re-signed with us he'd probably be on my list, but I'm not sure how you can call that a career with the organization. He wasn't even a one and done like Robitaille.

SteelFish87*

i purposely left off players who were on the Pens for 1 season or less but if i wanted to add them:

Stevens-Lemieux-Jagr
Hossa-Crosby-Tocchet
Robitaille-Malkin-Kovalev
Straka-Francis-Recchi

Coffey-Murphy
U.Samuelsson-Zubov
Kasparaitis-Letang

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad