My idea for European league

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
1. We already have this. It's called the CL.

2. This week's SL proved what a stupid idea this is.
Lol it's OK to disagree but apparently you have trouble understanding that
1/ it has nothing to do with the CL.
2/ it has nothing to do with the SL.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I think what's needed is more a inclusive tournament that focuses on the big 4 nations and increases domestic league importance for those by providing more spots.

Something like:
England, Spain, Italy, Germany - 6-8 teams
France - 4-6 teams
Russia, Portugal, Belgium, Netherlands, Turkey - 2-3 teams

And then the rest of the countries have some sort of qualification for the remaining few spots. Let's say it ends up around 56-60 clubs and they play a 12-14 game schedule in their group.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It would be great if we could go back to the old C1 format - only 1 represnetative per country, the actual champion, and no group stage

But we all know that's not good for UEFA's pockets

It could be an entirely separate competition, but unfortunately I doubt that the big clubs find time for it.

Reactions: RattsSSV

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'm intrigued. I like that the top European Division is not closed off and I love that every league champion has a chance. Qualifying through one-off knock-out rounds has the potential to be a real spectacle as well.

I would also want domestic cups to remain; they are obviously an important part of footballing tradition and they give smaller clubs some big games against better opposition.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes I think every team should be able to play its domestic Cup.
But in a league, giants are killing the competition.
And the fact everything is open means that any team can build, grow and develop into a giant themselves (or on the contrary, one team could go down the drain year after year).

Reactions: robertmac43

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And the biggest advantage, as I said, is to limit the number of games to improve the quality.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
There was an idea that I was playing around with. And it still needs work for the record.

You do it in the “preseason” when they would do something like ICC. You have your 8-16 teams “Super” teams and you play them in a single leg knockout tournament (because this is going to be American style anyway). The winner either gets a bye week in the UCL directly to the Knockout Stage (or maybe they start their group stage with a certain number of points in the bank) ; or if it’s a Europa team, they can move into UCL ; or if they aren’t in Europe they can move to Europa (or maybe UCL).

This way you get the big name teams you want in a format that we have seen. Sponsors will line up.

They are incentivized to care by giving a big reward for succeeding.

You get something different that is currently being offered.

The Founding Teams are the founding teams but other teams can try to buy their way in. , (because I have a feeling that relegation would be off the table) if it’s working.

as I said major work in progress but that was what I would try to go something along the lines of

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Unless teams from all countries are included and can play to qualify, it will never happen. I can pretty much guarantee it. as Hawkman said. We already have this format, its called Champions League. I hope the integrity of European football is strong enough and I think what has happened in the last few days is living proof of this.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
There was an idea that I was playing around with. And it still needs work for the record.

You do it in the “preseason” when they would do something like ICC. You have your 8-16 teams “Super” teams and you play them in a single leg knockout tournament (because this is going to be American style anyway). The winner either gets a bye week in the UCL directly to the Knockout Stage (or maybe they start their group stage with a certain number of points in the bank) ; or if it’s a Europa team, they can move into UCL ; or if they aren’t in Europe they can move to Europa (or maybe UCL).

This way you get the big name teams you want in a format that we have seen. Sponsors will line up.

They are incentivized to care by giving a big reward for succeeding.

You get something different that is currently being offered.

The Founding Teams are the founding teams but other teams can try to buy their way in. , (because I have a feeling that relegation would be off the table) if it’s working.

as I said major work in progress but that was what I would try to go something along the lines of
More games. Always more games.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Unless teams from all countries are included and can play to qualify, it will never happen. I can pretty much guarantee it. as Hawkman said. We already have this format, its called Champions League. I hope the integrity of European football is strong enough and I think what has happened in the last few days is living proof of this.
The CL is not even close to my proposal...

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
More games. Always more games.
It has to be. That’s how they get more revenue. I don’t like it but that’s what the fat cats want

At least this way it replaces the preseason games so we aren’t adding more in season

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Competitive games always add fatigue.
No, the way to go is to limit the number of games and improve the quality. Hence my proposal.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Competitive games always add fatigue.
No, the way to go is to limit the number of games and improve the quality. Hence my proposal.
For the players, Yes.

For the owners, No.

I like your idea but the owners aren’t going to take less games and give up revenue

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The problem with this concept and even the current UEFA model for that matter, is lets say @Evilo that Poland, Bulgaria, or hell lets include Liechtenstein as well that they have their golden generation years producing a lot of top quality players. The problem is keeping them within their country's domestic league (it's the same problem we have in hockey for the non-traditional markets). For example a lot of Dutch and Belgium hockey players that turn out to be good, tend to play away from the country and in better junior leagues like in Germany. Those players eventually play enough in the German junior league that they get qualified to play for the country and choose them over others. We also see this all the time regarding Arab players either playing for Germany or Spain instead of their country of origin in football too.

Now going back to those nations, a club like Lech Poznan, which would be eligible for either your ESL or CL have a hard time keeping the best Polish players. Lewandowski wouldn't play for them, Milik wouldn't play for them, Piatek plays in Germany, Glik played in France his entire career, and others. On the actual Polish team, there are like four to five who actually play in Poland and majority of them are non-starters. You have to find a way to keep a lot of the good players like Polish, Bulgarians, and Liechtensteinians in their borders to increase competition throughout Europe.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The problem with this concept and even the current UEFA model for that matter, is lets say @Evilo that Poland, Bulgaria, or hell lets include Liechtenstein as well that they have their golden generation years producing a lot of top quality players. The problem is keeping them within their country's domestic league (it's the same problem we have in hockey for the non-traditional markets). For example a lot of Dutch and Belgium hockey players that turn out to be good, tend to play away from the country and in better junior leagues like in Germany. Those players eventually play enough in the German junior league that they get qualified to play for the country and choose them over others. We also see this all the time regarding Arab players either playing for Germany or Spain instead of their country of origin in football too.

Now going back to those nations, a club like Lech Poznan, which would be eligible for either your ESL or CL have a hard time keeping the best Polish players. Lewandowski wouldn't play for them, Milik wouldn't play for them, Piatek plays in Germany, Glik played in France his entire career, and others. On the actual Polish team, there are like four to five who actually play in Poland and majority of them are non-starters. You have to find a way to keep a lot of the good players like Polish, Bulgarians, and Liechtensteinians in their borders to increase competition throughout Europe.
But that's one othe positives on the contrary. If a team becomes champion of Poland and win one of the playoffs spot, they immediately promote to the European League with huge money.
As of now, a polish team does that, qualifies for the CL preliminary rounds, but loses all its players in the summer because the CL is a one shot competition with 6 games.
With my league, the polish champion would have a full 38 game league and thus would keep its players at least another year and make its status evolve.
Any team that succeeds at the sporting side of the game could become big financially.

Reactions: S E P H

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The owners of the big teams would make more with my proposal.
Maybe? Either way owners aren’t going to short themselves of a chance for more games because they don’t care bout anything other than income.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
:huh:
As I said, they'd win more money with my proposal, thus their care and the players would be both satisfied.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
What if you have a system where teams who are in, don't count toward the numbers coming back into the new European League? They can play domestic, but the only qualifying spots are able to go to teams who aren't currently in the league. Forcing a season out of it, if you were to get relegated.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
What if you have a system where teams who are in, don't count toward the numbers coming back into the new European League? They can play domestic, but the only qualifying spots are able to go to teams who aren't currently in the league. Forcing a season out of it, if you were to get relegated.
I undertand that but it would be too many games again.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I'm not sure of the sheer numbers. Part of cutting down would be limiting the random cups.

If you have 38 in league, and then the same amount you'd have in a champions league, I think it might work. If the teams in the top level didn't play cups, maybe that's an option.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'm not sure of the sheer numbers. Part of cutting down would be limiting the random cups.

If you have 38 in league, and then the same amount you'd have in a champions league, I think it might work. If the teams in the top level didn't play cups, maybe that's an option.
76 games?
One of the objectives is to decrease the number of games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad