My idea for European league

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
OK, so I've said it here for decades, I think the future will automatically go towards a european league.
No doubt the SL project was absolutely disgusting, especially the way it was thought (without relegation for "certain" teams).
However, the fact is that some people want to see the big clubs in their own competition without hurting the domestic leagues and competitions.

My proposal hasn't changed for decades now and here it is :

A european league consisting of 20 teams. The 20 teams will be chosen ONLY on UEFA coefficient.
Right now here it is :
Coefficients Des Clubs | Coefficients UEFA
Of course it will change this summer since another year of european football will be over. But it gives you an idea :
Bayern, Real, Barca, City, Juve, Atletico, PSG, United, Liverpool, Sevilla, Arsenal, BVB, Chelsea, Spurs, Porto, Roma, Ajax, Donetsk, Lyon and Napoli (2 german, 4 spanish, 3 italian, 2 french, 1 portuguese, 1 ukrainian, 1 dutch, 6 english)
HOWEVER, those current coefficients are greatly influenced by the league of origin. They would have to be deducted before choosing the top 20 teams (more or less the same teams as above, but not quite).

Those 20 teams will have their independant league in the middle of the week and this is important in terms of TV revenue. They can play tuesday, wednesday and thursday since the CL and EL would disappear.
Each year 4 of these teams will be relegated back to their national league. So for instance if Napoli, Lyon, Donetsk and Ajax are relegated (I'm only using the last 4 in the coefficient here as an example) back to italian, french, ukrainian and dutch leagues.

On the weekends, the domestic leagues would play without those clubs. Of course, they will lose some revenue since the big clubs are gone but we also ALL know that the weekend is where people go to the stadium and watch football the most. So they would still get good TV deals and sponsors.
Especially since the champion of EACH european country would at the end of the season participate in a one leg, neutral ground playoff. The 4 winners will be promoted to the european league.

Problems :
1/ if a team from say France is relegated but the french champion is not promoted then what do you do? Prevent the Ligue 2 champion from promotion? No, the L1 would play with 21 teams.
2/ How about domestic Cups? European league teams would still participate in domestic cups.
3/ How about the rivalry games? That's a tough one indeed. They could still meet in cups, but at the same time, when two rivals are in a different division (like when Betis was in Liga B) those things happen.

Advantages :
1/ Much less games, but quality ones. Players would play 38 league games + a maximum of 5-6 Cup games instead of the 60+ right now.
2/ The access to the european league is only based on merit, not money or brand. If a team from Poland suddenly has a golden generation and can qualify through the playoffs, they'll get huge money by participating in the Euro league.
3/ On the contrary, if a big team doesn't perform, it'll sink to domestic league or even worse. This means good management is still extremely important, contrary to the SL.
4/ No more crappy coefficients or unfair draws based on your brand or league of origin. Equal terms for everyone.
5/ This system doesn't stop investors from buying a team, building it and promoting it to european league. This means that today's biggest brands aren't necessarily the same as 10 years ago or 10 years from now.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Does not sound too bad. I would keep the current format, scrap the conference league and bring back the Cup Winners Cup. Much harder competition to win than the Europa League, as you had to win a trophy to get in. A cup full of cup winners! That would lead to more exiting games and revenue.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I do not hate it, but I'd prefer the "European League" teams to still play in their domestic leagues.

I prefer the group stage/knockout stage format too.

I guess I'd do 4 groups of 5. Home and away. Top 2 of each group qualifies for KO round. Last of each group is relegated.

Now, who is promoted? Best performing teams not in the EL, I guess. How to do that fairly, I do not know.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I'm unsure about the impact this would have on domestic leagues on regards of revenue and TV deals, you do have a point that people that like football will still see games

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I prefer the group stage/knockout stage format too.

I guess I'd do 4 groups of 5. Home and away. Top 2 of each group qualifies for KO round. Last of each group is relegated.
Problem is you're still dependent on draws and fairness. Group of death etc...
A league is absolute equality.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Problem is you're still dependent on draws and fairness. Group of death etc...
A league is absolute equality.

We could do like the World Juniors in hockey and have the next year groups determined by the previous year's results.

Same for the KO stage, you do not need a draw. A1 vs B2 (QF1), B1 vs A2 (QF2), C1 vs D2 (QF3), D1 vs C2 (QF4). And then W QF1 vs W QF3, W QF2 vs W QF4. And then the finals.

The league format might be more equal, but it f***s with the domestic leagues and it is too many matches.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It doesn't make sense to me pulling the teams out of their leagues, and I feel like it would be a deal-breaker for most fans too
I fully understand this. But if you put them back in their league it prevents other teams from qualifying and it makes too many games.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
We could do like the World Juniors in hockey and have the next year groups determined by the previous year's results.

Same for the KO stage, you do not need a draw. A1 vs B2 (QF1), B1 vs A2 (QF2), C1 vs D2 (QF3), D1 vs C2 (QF4). And then W QF1 vs W QF3, W QF2 vs W QF4. And then the finals.

The league format might be more equal, but it f***s with the domestic leagues and it is too many matches.
No the idea is to take them out of their respective leagues. So much less games.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well, taking them out of their respective league does not work for me. It is a non-starter.
Which I understand.
But again let's be honest.
It's always one of the 2 in Spain. Mainly one in Italy, France, Germany, Ukraine and so many others. One of 3 in EPL.
My idea would be to bring excitement to these leagues again by putting the super teams elsewhere.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Again I understand. But it would also mean more healthy competition in domestic leagues, which have lost any taste of it.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Which I understand.
But again let's be honest.
It's always one of the 2 in Spain. Mainly one in Italy, France, Germany, Ukraine and so many others. One of 3 in EPL.
My idea would be to bring excitement to these leagues again by putting the super teams elsewhere.

Your idea would severely impact the level of international interest in those leagues. Local fans might enjoy more though, I will give you that.

As a North American, I follow big clubs (Real and Arsenal) and my local MLS club (Montreal Impact, I am not calling them Club de Foot, f*** that rebrand). If they are not in the domestic league, chances are I won't watch many games. I'll watch when I have time because I love football (like, if there is a good L1 game on BeIN, I'll watch if I am home and have nothing else to do), but I won't build my schedule around domestic games like I do for Real and Arsenal. I guess many international fans will be the same way; they will strictly follow their club therefore only watching the league(s) their club play in. I think having the big clubs in the domestic league is very important business wise. Not for the clubs, but for the domestic leagues. If you have the big 6 or 4 of the 6 out of the PL, their international TV contracts will be affected.

So, in a nutshell, from a football point of view, I could agree with your idea (I don't because I like seeing my clubs playing their traditional domestic rivals every year, but I could agree that it would make for a better product), but not from a business point of view.

Branding is everything and having the big clubs out of their domestic leagues would hurt these leagues' brands.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
From a business standpoint, that Euroleague would skyrocket revenus like never before (all markets as well as the hardcore and mild fans). And since those teams don't play on the weekend, I can garantee you viewers will still watch and attend weekend games from domestic leagues.
Leagues would be hurt without those 20 teams financially, but also would be their own leagues without the pressure of giants dominating them. TV deals would go down, no doubt, but not that much if they don't have the competition of the euroleagues games.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
From a business standpoint, that Euroleague would skyrocket revenus like never before (all markets as well as the hardcore and mild fans). And since those teams don't play on the weekend, I can garantee you viewers will still watch and attend weekend games from domestic leagues.
Leagues would be hurt without those 20 teams financially, but also would be their own leagues without the pressure of giants dominating them. TV deals would go down, no doubt, but not that much if they don't have the competition of the euroleagues games.

Do you honestly think NBC and DAZN (in Canada) still carry the Premership without the big clubs? Do you think Sportsnet in Canada broadcasts the BL without Bayern and Dortmund (well, they would not have put it on their regular channels without Davies joining Bayern).

It would pretty much destroy their brand in NA and Asia.

Locally, I have no doubts that the stadiums would still be full and the TV ratings very good.

I also agree that the Super League is what was best revenue wise, but it destroyed the very fabric of the game, so I was firmly against it.

I think some of the ideas in your proposal work, but I think taking clubs away from the leagues does not.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
This playoffs you speak of, would it be like 4 different brackets? Seems like it easily could be manipulated.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
One bracket. Goal is to reach the semis.

Okay but if the goal is to reach the semi's it's essentially four different brackets. The semifinals and finals would just be exhibition games then.

Would the playoff teams also be seeded based on coefficient?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes, indeed, you can say it's 4 different brackets.
Totally non seeded playoff. Full draw.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Again I understand. But it would also mean more healthy competition in domestic leagues, which have lost any taste of it.

At least in Germany I wouldn't agree, everyone in the league wants to beat FC Bayern and even the title would be worth half as much without them. It's not healthy if they keep winning it every year, but the competition can only be improved with them, not without.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad