OT 19/3: My girlfriend says she needs time and distance. Is she calculating velocity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Probably not, but I've been playing this game for a lot more than 1 hour, or even 3 for that matter. Great replay value if you ask me.

I suppose if you're a big MGS fan then it's worth getting. I loved MGS 4, but I'm not a huge fan of the series by any means.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Eh, 4 was the worst out of them all if you ask me :laugh: I liked it a lot, but I just thought it paled in comparison to 1, 2, and 3.

I tried one on the PS2 (MGS 3?) and I couldn't get a handle on it when I was younger. The only thing I didn't like about 4 is that it was almost more of a movie with the unnecessarily long cutscenes.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Yeah, MGS is pretty famous for that :laugh: I like it, just because I like a good story. You would've hated MGS2 probably. I will admit, that one got pretty convoluted with the message it was trying to convey.

I grew up on MGS1 watching my dad play it, and I picked it up. Then I got 2, and it got me hooked. 3 is tied with 1 as my favorite, as the story isn't so hard to comprehend, yet delivers a great message, and the gameplay is amazing.

I'd recommend 3 if you want to get into the series. Probably holds up to more modern standards these days.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Yeah, MGS is pretty famous for that :laugh: I like it, just because I like a good story. You would've hated MGS2 probably. I will admit, that one got pretty convoluted with the message it was trying to convey.

I grew up on MGS1 watching my dad play it, and I picked it up. Then I got 2, and it got me hooked. 3 is tied with 1 as my favorite, as the story isn't so hard to comprehend, yet delivers a great message, and the gameplay is amazing.

I'd recommend 3 if you want to get into the series. Probably holds up to more modern standards these days.

3 definitely holds up. I got the HD re-release for the 360 and it could have just as easily come out during that console generation (360/PS3)

The problem with 3 to me is moreso the free rotating camera (which was actually introduced in the PS2 enhanced re-release) like you'd find in almost any 3rd person action game. At least when you know the game first from the original fixed overhead perspective, there's a definite sense for me that the maps were not designed with such a low camera in mind. Feels almost like cheating.

The big difference was down to control. On a PS2 controller, the buttons were pressure sensitive, which is especially useful when you hold an enemy up, but don't want to shoot him. Xbox controllers don't have pressure sensitivity. There are ways around it, but it feels like you're using glitches instead of game mechanics.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Free condom day is the same day as the first Admitted Students day here at my law school.

Not a coincidence. I expect plenty of law students preying on 0Ls. Many a mistake will be made this weekend.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
All the talk about hockey coming before girlfriends and getting a pre-nup so she doesn't get half of our memorabilia. That was this thread, wasn't it?
Yeah but all that was soo long ago.

I was hoping to see some Kristia posts

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Fred Phelps, the founder of the Westboro Baptist Church, has died at the age of 84.

His hate-mongering family says there will be no funeral. Guess they're smart enough to realize the **** storm that his funeral would rightfully receive.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Fred Phelps, the founder of the Westboro Baptist Church, has died at the age of 84.

His hate-mongering family says there will be no funeral. Guess they're smart enough to realize the **** storm that his funeral would rightfully receive.

Can we still call out the Marines to picket the church? Just because?

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
3 definitely holds up. I got the HD re-release for the 360 and it could have just as easily come out during that console generation (360/PS3)

The problem with 3 to me is moreso the free rotating camera (which was actually introduced in the PS2 enhanced re-release) like you'd find in almost any 3rd person action game. At least when you know the game first from the original fixed overhead perspective, there's a definite sense for me that the maps were not designed with such a low camera in mind. Feels almost like cheating.

The big difference was down to control. On a PS2 controller, the buttons were pressure sensitive, which is especially useful when you hold an enemy up, but don't want to shoot him. Xbox controllers don't have pressure sensitivity. There are ways around it, but it feels like you're using glitches instead of game mechanics.

How did CQC work on Xbox? I know if you held O in on Playstation, you'd grab a guard... but then if you pushed it harder, you'd slit his throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad