My friend met Dave Hakstol in Stockholm

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Hextall did an amazing job building our prospect pool up, one of the best I have seen do it. That is kinda where things stop though, the on ice product was struggling, he had some really bad contracts, and held on to guys way too long. There is patience and then there is concern, we got into the part where everyone started getting concerned. 5 years in the team shouldn't have been sitting at the bottom of the standings, period. If all Fletcher has to do, is come in, clean up the rest of the garbage contracts, keep the right kids developing, while improving the current on ice production, then that is all he really needs to do.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Not sure why people are acting as if Hakstol accused the city of Philadelphia of lacking patience. In the quote he’s referring to the organization.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Dave Scott fired a really good gm out of impatience. Fletcher hasn't done anything yet, but gone are the days of slick trades, good drafting, and great contract negotiating. How awesome does that schenn deal look now? How great to the myers and zemula signings look now? Everything we have to be excited about with this franchise is due to hexy.

I'm way closer to your opinion than most people are, and I didn't really want him fired, but the fact that he just wouldn't fire Hakstok was the fatal flaw and deal clincher to me. That and his excruciating overmarinating of prospects. His crew's pro scouting was another problem. But the fact that he was waiting to add big players in free agency, etc., I was fine with all of that and hadn't run out of patience at all on that end. The one criticism that he got that I find completely laughable is that he "didn't fix the goaltending" - still haven't heard who he should have gone out and gotten from someone who isn't employing 300 degrees of hindsight. The thing with Carter Hart was a situation of dire need, after which Carter has done all the heavy lifting (so far) to prove he should just stay for the foreseeable at least.

Having said all that, Hakstok can go **** himself for all eternity with a plastic replica of a camel's ****.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Those are management decisions. Fans aren't hiring and firing people. So the length of Andy Reid's tenure is irrelevant to the discussion.
It’s not. It took 16 years, ok well maybe 14, for the fans to start going crazy about him still being here. Until then fans were patient with the whole thing.
Except for his time management.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I'm way closer to your opinion than most people are, and I didn't really want him fired, but the fact that he just wouldn't fire Hakstok was the fatal flaw and deal clincher to me. That and his excruciating overmarinating of prospects. His crew's pro scouting was another problem. But the fact that he was waiting to add big players in free agency, etc., I was fine with all of that and hadn't run out of patience at all on that end. The one criticism that he got that I find completely laughable is that he "didn't fix the goaltending" - still haven't heard who he should have gone out and gotten from someone who isn't employing 300 degrees of hindsight. The thing with Carter Hart was a situation of dire need, after which Carter has done all the heavy lifting (so far) to prove he should just stay for the foreseeable at least.

Having said all that, Hakstok can go **** himself for all eternity with a plastic replica of a camel's ****.

Hack sucked. We an all agree. But I Think Hexy was willing to live with Hack because these are meaningless years. Meaningless in the sense that we know we aren't going to compete so why does it matter. THe flyers had some reall bad special teams play and some really bad goaltending that kept them at the bottom of the league. It wasn't cause of Hack. Now we bring up A compentent goaltender, and all of a sudden our spririts are awoken and every aspect of our games are better. It's not a coincidence, and i believe hexy knew it as well. But why rush a rebuild. You know what happens to teams that rush rebuilds? They f*** up their rebuild. Look at Edmonton, look at Buffalo. Now compare that to the Lightning. The lightning Won a stanley cup, 3 seasons later they had the first overall pick, the next year they had the 2nd overall pick. The next year another top 10 pick. Then they make it to the conference finals and lose in game 7. A dumb GM would have thought that the reubuild is over and they are ready to compete. But sometimes in hockey flukey things happen like a playoff team having the worst record in the league ( US) or a bad team makes a run to the Conference finals ( lightning).

two seasons later they cut Vinny and Trade St. Lousis. Does a team that is competing for a cup do those moves? No. But Yzerman knew they were not serious cup contenders , just because they made a lucky run the conference finals. Had they gone for broke the next season and tried to make themselves real contenders they would have missed out on all this current young talent they have like Vasilevsky, sergachev etc etc. But Yzerman being a ssmart GM allowed the talent to dictate when the rebuild was over. They never added a piece to be competitive. All their competitive pieces were from within. Now the Lightning are set up not only to win the cup this year but multiple cups for the next decade.

Hextall was on pace for that. And allowing Hack to muddle through another forgettable seaason, in order to achieve that goal seems like an awful small sacrifice to make.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
It’s not. It took 16 years, ok well maybe 14, for the fans to start going crazy about him still being here. Until then fans were patient with the whole thing.
Except for his time management.

ok, they were winning

It would take incredible stupidity to demand the firing of someone who recently went to 4 straight NFC championship games.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
The quote lacks context.

The Flyers (Dave Scott) were impatient, which led to the bungled mid-season firings.

I supported the patient roster approach because the primary holes in the roster are too hard to fill by making trades (goalie, 2 RDs; still don't see Ghost as a long term RD). 2C/3C, depending where they wanted NP, is a little easier to fill via trade and it sounds like Hexy tried to bring Stastny aboard as a FA. I was happy enough for the team to remain a competitive pretender while we waited for those holes to be filled from within.

However, I was adamantly opposed to keeping Hak around. He had plenty of opportunity to show his patterns and preferences and proved that he wasn't ready. The time to fire him was the 2018 offseason or during the 10 game losing streak. Not kicking the tires on Trotz was a mistake. Definitely became impatient waiting for the Hak firing.

Overall, I was happy enough with Hexy, but also supported his firing because he was watching a team play below the sum of its parts, mostly because he didn't address the unreliability of Neuvy (goaltending was holding this team back more than coaching), and obviously because he continued to support Hak.

Next year should be the year they were ready to contend, but now I'm not so sure. Unless Myers and Morin get good looks in the remainder of this season, there's likely to be two rookies on D next year, which usually doesn't bode well for a deep playoff run. In that, the Flyers may still be too patient, unless they can land a Karlsson type big fish in free agency.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
But I Think Hexy was willing to live with Hack because these are meaningless years. Meaningless in the sense that we know we aren't going to compete so why does it matter.

I don't think this is true. But even if we call them "development years" rather than meaningless, the 5+ year turnaround window Hex and Hak were trying to sell us on was taking too long and showing too little promise.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hack sucked. We an all agree. But I Think Hexy was willing to live with Hack because these are meaningless years. Meaningless in the sense that we know we aren't going to compete so why does it matter. THe flyers had some reall bad special teams play and some really bad goaltending that kept them at the bottom of the league. It wasn't cause of Hack. Now we bring up A compentent goaltender, and all of a sudden our spririts are awoken and every aspect of our games are better. It's not a coincidence, and i believe hexy knew it as well. But why rush a rebuild. You know what happens to teams that rush rebuilds? They **** up their rebuild. Look at Edmonton, look at Buffalo. Now compare that to the Lightning. The lightning Won a stanley cup, 3 seasons later they had the first overall pick, the next year they had the 2nd overall pick. The next year another top 10 pick. Then they make it to the conference finals and lose in game 7. A dumb GM would have thought that the reubuild is over and they are ready to compete. But sometimes in hockey flukey things happen like a playoff team having the worst record in the league ( US) or a bad team makes a run to the Conference finals ( lightning).

two seasons later they cut Vinny and Trade St. Lousis. Does a team that is competing for a cup do those moves? No. But Yzerman knew they were not serious cup contenders , just because they made a lucky run the conference finals. Had they gone for broke the next season and tried to make themselves real contenders they would have missed out on all this current young talent they have like Vasilevsky, sergachev etc etc. But Yzerman being a ssmart GM allowed the talent to dictate when the rebuild was over. They never added a piece to be competitive. All their competitive pieces were from within. Now the Lightning are set up not only to win the cup this year but multiple cups for the next decade.

Hextall was on pace for that. And allowing Hack to muddle through another forgettable seaason, in order to achieve that goal seems like an awful small sacrifice to make.

These aren't meaningless years though. These are vital developmental years for the future, and Hakstol is a trash development coach. The trick isn't having our first rounders work out, but later picks too and the way those guys were running the show it was extremely difficult for those guys to go anywhere.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
These aren't meaningless years though. These are vital developmental years for the future, and Hakstol is a trash development coach. The trick isn't having our first rounders work out, but later picks too and the way those guys were running the show it was extremely difficult for those guys to go anywhere.

they are developing, just not at the nhl level. Like i said the players will tell you when you're ready. If vorobyev is a ppg in the ahl, that is letting us knwo he is ready. We were developing just not as fast as people wanted. But we were on our way to hughes with enough prospects to turn this thing around 180 in 1 year.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
ok, they were winning

It would take incredible stupidity to demand the firing of someone who recently went to 4 straight NFC championship games.
I’m not a football guy so I’ll conceed the point there but for the most part Philadelphia fans have been very patient.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
they are developing, just not at the nhl level. Like i said the players will tell you when you're ready. If vorobyev is a ppg in the ahl, that is letting us knwo he is ready. We were developing just not as fast as people wanted. But we were on our way to hughes with enough prospects to turn this thing around 180 in 1 year.

Not really. Look at what happens when Lindblom got an NHL coach who was actually effective. There are guys who aren't AHL all stars who can still succeed in the NHL on the lower line roles. Hakstol and Hextall made almost no progress on that front, and it's an important one.

Edit: Laughton is an example. He didn't light up the AHL.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
I'm a Hextall fan his strength was drafting and projecting young talent, his weakness was the nh l ready players he acquired and his poor coaching hires. I do believe it he would have blown up the coaching staff this summer and hired competent people Hextall would still be employed and the Flyers would be on top the Metro.

that said Hextall might learn from his experience here and be better during his next stop. If Hakstol gets another head job at the nh l level I'll be surprised

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad