My Final NHL Standings Predictions.

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
the pens would need to have a 2012 style meltdown for the blue jackets to have a chance.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Not a chance Winnipeg wins a playoff game let alone a round :laugh:

Incorrect. The Jets will win at least a couple of games and quite possibly a round.

No need to thank me for instructing you in an area which your knowledge is clearly lacking. Illuminating the ignorant counts as my good deed for the day. A mitzvah if you will.

m.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
if you legitimately think that minnesota will beat winnipeg you clearly dont watch hockey
Because upsets never happen in the NHL playoffs right? Both of the higher seeds in the central lost in 1st round last year

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
It's great that Toronto either gets potential 115 point Tampa or potential 116 point Boston in the first round even if they finish 3rd in the east.

Great playoff seeding NHL.

Reactions: MajorLeafsFan

MajorLeafsFan

Jul 19, 2017
It's great that Toronto either gets potential 115 point Tampa or potential 116 point Boston in the first round even if they finish 3rd in the east.

I've been saying since they created the new format, they should just adopt the NBA's 1-8 system. They created this for rivalries, but the playoffs create rivalries. It's pretty dumb.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
Final NHL Standings Predictions.

EASTERN CONFERENCE:
(1) Boston Bruins (ATL): 116 Points. Wins Eastern Conference. Wins Atlantic.
(2) Tampa Bay Lightning (ATL): 115 Points.
(3) Toronto Maple Leafs (ATL): 105 Points.
(4) Washington Capitals (MET): 105 Points. Wins Metropolitan. (Leafs finish ahead by win %)
(5) Pittsburgh Penguins (MET): 101 Points.
(6) Columbus Blue Jackets (MET): 98 Points.
(7) New Jersey Devils (MET) [WC1]: 97 Points.
(8) Florida Panthers (ATL) [WC2]: 96 Points. (Florida beats Philadelphia in win % to make playoffs)

WESTERN CONFERENCE:
(1) Nashville Predators (CEN): 117 Points. Wins Presidents Trophy. Wins Western Conference. Wins Central.
(2) Winnipeg Jets (CEN): 114 Points.
(3) Vegas Golden Knights (PAC): 112 Points. Wins Pacific.
(4) San Jose Sharks (PAC): 105 Points.
(5) Minnesota Wild (CEN): 104 Points.
(6) Colorado Avalanche (CEN) [WC1]: 101 points.
(7) Anaheim Ducks (PAC): 99 Points.
(8) St. Louis Blues (CEN) [WC2]: 98 Points.

First Round:

East:
(1) Boston vs. (8) Florida. Boston wins in 5.
(2) Tampa Bay vs. (3) Toronto. Tampa Bay wins in 7.
(4) Washington vs. (7) New Jersey. Washington wins in 6.
(5) Pittsburgh vs. (6) Columbus. Columbus wins in 7 (4 games go to OT).

West:
(1) Nashville vs. (8) St. Louis. Nashville wins in 6.
(2) Winnipeg vs. (5) Minnesota. Winnipeg wins in 6.
(3) Vegas vs. (6) Colorado. Colorado wins in 7 (5 games go to OT).
(4) San Jose vs. (7) Anaheim. San Jose wins in 5.

ECSF:
(1) Boston vs. (2) Tampa Bay. Tampa Bay wins in 7.
(4) Washington vs. (6) Columbus. Washington wins in 7.

WCSF:
(1) Nashville vs. (2) Winnipeg. Nashville wins in 7.
(4) San Jose vs. (6) Colorado. San Jose wins in 6.

ECF:
(2) Tampa Bay vs. (4) Washington. Tampa Bay wins in 6.

WCF:
(1) Nashville vs. (4) San Jose. Nashville wins in 5.

SCF:
(1) Nashville vs. (2) Tampa Bay. Nashville wins in 7.

Standings tiebreaker isn’t win% it’s ROW. Didn’t look closely enough to see if that would affect any matchups but would flip Toronto and Washington in the overall standings.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
If the Blues make the playoffs and match up against the Preds, it won't be a 6 game series. That's an easy sweep for Nashville. We will get absolutely demolished by them.

MajorLeafsFan

Jul 19, 2017
You mean basically go back to the old format?
Well yes, but the division leaders would still get higher spots than a second place team would. I mean straight up getting rid of the divisions and going to a 1-8 system.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

they're gonna have to verse the best team anyways so if they can't win in this format, they sure as hell won't win in the 1-8 format

blujax

Jun 5, 2008
the pens would need to have a 2012 style meltdown for the blue jackets to have a chance.

Your realize that the CBJ beat Pitt in basically every major statistical catagory over the course of last years series, including: Scoring Chances, shots on goal, time of possession, time in offensive zone, etc. It was 100% a goaltending issue (and maybe a bit of the CBJ not being able to finish their chances -- the main reason they brought in Panarin). Had Bobrovsky simply equaled that of his opponent, then it would have been a whole different series. Don't expect Bob to gift another series away again...he's just too good of a goalie.

Factor that in, with the additions of: Panarin, Dubois, Vanek, Cole, Letestu (not to mention the injured players in last years series) and the subtraction of basically just Saad (who is having a terrible year anyway), and it doesnt seem that far fetched, does it? A 2012 meltdown??? Come on now.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don't understand your reasoning of thinking John Torterella and Blue jackets will figure out Pitt. I can see them losing to New Jersey, Washington, Tampa or Bruins; on the other hand, Pittsburg will be unlucky not to sweep either the jackets or Flyers. They are just miles above both teams in terms of skill.

Agree. Columbus doesn't have any where near the center depth to compete with Pittsburgh. Philly is a better match with Giroux and Couts but their bottom 4 defensemen and their goaltending wouldn't be strong enough. The Penguins are built to win in the playoffs so long as their goaltending reverts back to normal.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
As a Tampa fan, I can say you are way more optimistic about them than I am.

They've been winning some games, but they haven't looked like a team that can compete in the playoffs since New Years.

Unless they have a switch that they can flip that suddenly gets them playing in playoff mode, I don't foresee them going that deep. No excuse either, they've got all the talent a team could ever need. Hope I'm wrong.

Sounds like a carbon copy of the Caps the last few years, to be honest. Burn down villages then coast once the calendar year changes. Do enough to have a really impressive point total while showing some serious chinks in the armor.

Funny you saw "flip the switch" as that was the playoff avatar for Caps fans either last year or the year before.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
they're gonna have to verse the best team anyways so if they can't win in this format, they sure as hell won't win in the 1-8 format

It's not about winning it all. To win the cup ya you have to beat everyone but teams high in the standings should have home ice and play a lower ranked team in the 1st round. The big matchups should happen in 2nd/3rd round.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
It's not about winning it all. To win the cup ya you have to beat everyone but teams high in the standings should have home ice and play a lower ranked team in the 1st round. The big matchups should happen in 2nd/3rd round.
boston and tampa will be a big matchup in the 2nd round and pittsburgh/boston will be an even bigger matchup in the 3rd round.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think the flyers get more than 5 pts out of a possible 12. With a win tonight they would only win 1 more game in 5 to match your prediction. Seems less likely than the devils being the odd team out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad