News Article: My favorite Print Writer Says it's Time for Cherry to Step Down

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
She appears to be... exactly the reason why so many people STILL likes Cherry.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Comments like this make me laugh. Have you ever met Don Cherry? Have you seen what he does to help charities and other non-profit organizations, which in turn help people from all races? I've spent many hours with the man over the years. The amount of work I've personally seen him do to help others and to promote Canada is mind boggling.

He doesn't have a link, just another person repeating what they heard, because they can't form an opinion by themselves. I dislike him because he's irritating, he's lost touch with the game. Maybe it's because I can't stand Ron any longer as well. Never found his 'act' to be racist, because in reality that's all it is. An act.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
2nd best. It's okay. Keep working hard.

You're all wrong, guys. HF Boards is the best writer in north america as a whole. We're all making the old "monkey" saying true. You know what I'm saying? "If 600 monkeys were writing during 600 years, they'll end up having wrote the whole Shekespeare". That's us, gentlemen...

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
He doesn't have a link, just another person repeating what they heard, because they can't form an opinion by themselves. I dislike him because he's irritating, he's lost touch with the game. Maybe it's because I can't stand Ron any longer as well. Never found his 'act' to be racist, because in reality that's all it is. An act.

I agree. I have not watched his schtick for years. I can only stand him for 30 seconds or so at a time. Anymore and it becomes nauseating. As for change, I welcome it. Cherry and HNIC have lost their relevancy and it is their inability to be flexibility in a medium that is constantly changing.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
I thought "Bergevin dropped the ball" guy was the best writer in the country?

Now I'm so confused. I'm like Bouillon with the puck in his own zone, not sure what to do!

PricePkPatch*

Which race has Don Cherry insulted?

He's called French Canadians and Europeans soft, but those aren't "races" of people. Please list a specific example of racism by Don Cherry.

Would the word "bigot" be more appropriat?

Racism is just one form of bigotry. The real evil there is bigotry; not against whom it's practiced. Either it's homophobia, islamophobia, racism or insulting the entirety of the french-canadians, it's all the same thing: bigotry, in bigger or lesser strenght.

canadiancreed

Exiled from paradise
Nov 10, 2010
Canadas Black Hole
Would the word "bigot" be more appropriate?

At the very least it'd be the right term for the folks that seem to bring it up constantly. That alone wouldn't have their statements laughed out of the room.

As for best writer in Canada.....ya...read it, if that's the best writer in Canada, our journalism crops are in a worrisome state. Then again, it's the Star so I guess it's not too surprising. Too bad too, I used to like reading that paper once upon a time.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Comments like this make me laugh. Have you ever met Don Cherry?
Blablabla...

All that is irrelevant. He hates Europeans and French-Canadians. Therefore, he's a racist moron. Whatever else you have to say in his defense is irrelevant.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007

I think the thing with Don Cherry is he is a bit of a loud-mouth and doesn't have the filter some people have. Everyone says offensive things sometimes, but not a lot of people would do it on TV without caring what people think. But he has his good points. As others have pointed out, he seems to have a pretty big heart. Another good thing about him is that he is.....well a loudmouth who doesn't care what people thinks. Sometimes he is way out there, but other times he is spot on about things. And sometimes he is spot on about things that no one else would have the guts to say on tv. I remember a few years ago when we were playing the Pens in the playoffs, he came to our defense and said we were getting hosed by the refs. He will surprise you sometimes like that. He loves the Bruins and the Leafs, but he makes no secret about his bias either. In spite of his bias, I have noticed him take our side a lot more than some other commentators who might hide their true feelings more.

ak90210

Sep 18, 2011
I agree. I have not watched his schtick for years. I can only stand him for 30 seconds or so at a time. Anymore and it becomes nauseating. As for change, I welcome it. Cherry and HNIC have lost their relevancy and it is their inability to be flexibility in a medium that is constantly changing.

Intermission/half time shows are a medium that is always changing? Besides, being available online (which Coaches Corner is and most intermission/half time shows aren't) there has been very little change in the medium.

Also, to the guy who made the thread title, get a grip with this best writer int he country nonsense.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

Racism is just one form of bigotry. The real evil there is bigotry; not against whom it's practiced. Either it's homophobia, islamophobia, racism or insulting the entirety of the french-canadians, it's all the same thing: bigotry, in bigger or lesser strenght.

Cherry also hates players who wear helmets. WE MUST STOP HELMOPHOBIA!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The expiration date on Grapes is close, but the guy can be flat out entertaining...right or wrong, he sells...put Jeremy Roenick in his place, and bam, you have yourself 30 more years of entertainment!!

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Intermission/half time shows are a medium that is always changing? Besides, being available online (which Coaches Corner is and most intermission/half time shows aren't) there has been very little change in the medium.

Also, to the guy who made the thread title, get a grip with this best writer int he country nonsense.

Get a grip on your own self and your ignorance.

Read Rosie for 15 years like I have then call me out.

ak90210

Sep 18, 2011
Get a grip on your own self and your ignorance.

Read Rosie for 15 years like I have then call me out.

I guess "get a grip" could have been misconstrued as calling you out, here are some issues with the thread title.

1) What defines the best writer? Prose, breaking stories, offering insight, coming up with new and interesting theories, a combination of all these and more? Who knows(nobody)? So basically you started the thread with a statement that can neither be proven nor disproven.

2) If the writer truly is the "best" in the country, just writing her name probably would have not only been sufficient, but would have undoubtedly been more accurate.

3) The thread is supposedly about whether or not Don Cherry should still be on HNIC and as a result of the title there has been much discussion of whether or not this Rosie person is the best in the country (and in the case of this post why writing that she was wash;t such a great idea)

4) The only reasons I can think of for including that in the title are to either a) promote your favourite writer, b) promote yourself as an intellectual for reading said writer or c) trying to use her status as "best in the country" to sway us to your side of the argument by adding legitimacy to this person's claims. It probably wasn't a or b as her name wasn't mentioned in the title. The strength of an argument is in the argument itself not the status of the person making the argument or previous arguments. It's a pretty intellectually dishonest practise.

Wrote this quickly and didn't feel like editing so sorry for any grammar/spelling errors.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
I don't care hearing Cherry saying stupidity and spreading dinosaurs' philosophy on TV. I do care hearing him do it on CBC, the national and public network, who's supposed to give example of an open-minded, egalitarian and progressive society.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I guess "get a grip" could have been misconstrued as calling you out, here are some issues with the thread title.

1) What defines the best writer? Prose, breaking stories, offering insight, coming up with new and interesting theories, a combination of all these and more? Who knows(nobody)? So basically you started the thread with a statement that can neither be proven nor disproven.

2) If the writer truly is the "best" in the country, just writing her name probably would have not only been sufficient, but would have undoubtedly been more accurate.

3) The thread is supposedly about whether or not Don Cherry should still be on HNIC and as a result of the title there has been much discussion of whether or not this Rosie person is the best in the country (and in the case of this post why writing that she was wash;t such a great idea)

4) The only reasons I can think of for including that in the title are to either a) promote your favourite writer, b) promote yourself as an intellectual for reading said writer or c) trying to use her status as "best in the country" to sway us to your side of the argument by adding legitimacy to this person's claims. It probably wasn't a or b as her name wasn't mentioned in the title. The strength of an argument is in the argument itself not the status of the person making the argument or previous arguments. It's a pretty intellectually dishonest practise.

Wrote this quickly and didn't feel like editing so sorry for any grammar/spelling errors.
Looks like the thread title has just been changed. Too bad, I was hoping for the inevitable Margaret Atwood vs Rosie Dimano debate that I was sure was coming soon.
I don't care hearing Cherry saying stupidity and spreading dinosaurs' philosophy on TV. I do care hearing him do it on CBC, the national and public network, who's supposed to give example of an open-minded, egalitarian and progressive society.
Cherry is an entertainer and definitely a dinosaur. But he has a unique perspective on the game. I don't agree with everything he says or how he says it but he's entertaining.

Dimano is actually spot on with her comments on PJ Stock (who should've never been hired to begin with) and some of her comments regarding HNIC.

Unlike Stock and Healy (who are just plain angry trolls) Cherry brings some humour to the show. Some folks can't wait to get rid of HNIC, Bob Cole, Cherry, Maclean etc... but I'm not overly happy about it. Yes, the show needs a refresh and some guys should be shown the door but I've watched HNIC for years and if it goes, I'll miss it.

Hemlor

Jan 27, 2007
He's a sports writer and he's a great one. Rosie can write about any subject and be brilliant about it.
Middle East, euthanasia, local issues, social issues, she's clear in thinking and can just plain write.
She's particularly no-nonsense and cut to the chase on the justice files, which must make her left-wing bosses bristle at times. Her command of the English language is unparalleled yet she never comes across as pompous or arrogant (like a Conrad Black for instance).

I just assumed everyone knew who Rosie Dimanno was because everyone should know who Rosie Dimanno is. She's the best writer I have come across in this country and I am not alone in this.

well, so far you seem to be the only one, on this board anyway

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

Cherry is plenty open minded, just not the way you like it.

For you being open minded is outlawing fights but it's pretty much agenda-driven, nothing open mind about it.

Cherry is perfect on a big National show like this cause he's the grand-father that cuts above all the elitist "bien penssants", he's someone preaching old fashion values, wich is what a grand-father should do.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I think she lost all credibility when she started talking about Mike Milbury. Why didn't she complain about Ward Cornell and Dave Hodge?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad