News Article: My favorite Print Writer Says it's Time for Cherry to Step Down

Hockey Joe

Dec 18, 2007
Montreal
Cherry spreads hate. I've experienced it as a French Canadian travelling across Canada. He sucked at hockey and found his niche as a hateful clown. I don't even buy his "good side"... also an act. He just loves attention.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
He doesn't have a link, just another person repeating what they heard, because they can't form an opinion by themselves. I dislike him because he's irritating, he's lost touch with the game. Maybe it's because I can't stand Ron any longer as well. Never found his 'act' to be racist, because in reality that's all it is. An act.

Ron is extremely knowledgeable and handles Drapes marvelously.

The clever friction they once had died when Cherry saved Ron's job.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Cherry is plenty open minded, just not the way you like it.

For you being open minded is outlawing fights but it's pretty much agenda-driven, nothing open mind about it.

Cherry is perfect on a big National show like this cause he's the grand-father that cuts above all the elitist "bien penssants", he's someone preaching old fashion values, wich is what a grand-father should do.

Shall we bring slavery back and revoke womens' right to vote also?

'This is old and therefore good' is not an argument. It's an ignorant platitude.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Cherry is plenty open minded, just not the way you like it.

For you being open minded is outlawing fights but it's pretty much agenda-driven, nothing open mind about it.

Cherry is perfect on a big National show like this cause he's the grand-father that cuts above all the elitist "bien penssants", he's someone preaching old fashion values, wich is what a grand-father should do.

That's a presomptuous assessment on your part, Kimota. To me, being open-minded from Cherry (and from the whole CBC) would be to at least consider objectively the sayings of people against fights and head shots. Wanting to keep Hockey as it always was is not open-minded. Considering changes is open-minded, without necessarily approving it. Times change. Normal stuff.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Coaches Corner was going to come to an end some day anyway. There is no larger character than Cherry, and no chance that a person could step into the shoes from a Coaches Corner firing/death/retirement of Cherry.

It's going to have to be something new. Fresh. International. About hockey, not about a caricature on TV blowing extreme opinions through the screen.

HabstuckinTO

Oct 3, 2005
Toronto
Cherry is a loudmouth obnoxious old fart and should have been gone years ago. Dimanno, on the other hand, writes pure *****. I cancelled my subscription to the Star something like 20 years ago when I first found her wiriting in the sports section. It was bad enough when her crap was bouncing around the rest of the paper.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Stopped watching Coach's Corner a decade ago when he stopped making sense

I'd like to see a bi-weekly rotation

Week 1: ex-ref (Fraser) and ex-player (JR) teamed up to run through all the controversial calls, rule changes, incidents, suspensions, etc...

Week 2: ex-GM (not Milbury or Button) and ex-scout teamed up to run through pro and amateur prospects around the globe

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The "one thing from the past is bad so therefore everything from the past is bad" is infinitely worse.

Clearly that was not my argument.

I rebutted the comment of the poster who basically said, " Dieu merci for that kind grandfather who has the wisdom of the past to fight the ignorance and hubris of those young liberal a-holes."

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Shall we bring slavery back and revoke womens' right to vote also?

'This is old and therefore good' is not an argument. It's an ignorant platitude.

But the thing is, the "new stuff is better" is ignorant too. One of the best stuff about hockey is tradition and fights and heated rivalries are part of this too.

Why would anyone want to change hockey into something else? Cause you don't like it?

The main conversation about hockey about the physical stuff is driven by announcers and journalists that are consussions-obsessed and decrying the fact that fights exist. The ones covering the hockey games are talking about this all the time DURING NHL BROADCASTING. And they were doing so even before the concussion stuff came to light.

Cherry is the lone voice outthere that says stuff from the opposing direction. Of course you guys hates it. Cause you want to be the only voice. Cause he represents everything you hate.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
That's a presomptuous assessment on your part, Kimota. To me, being open-minded from Cherry (and from the whole CBC) would be to at least consider objectively the sayings of people against fights and head shots. Wanting to keep Hockey as it always was is not open-minded. Considering changes is open-minded, without necessarily approving it. Times change. Normal stuff.

HNIC have talked about concussions plenty of time. And Cherry said plenty of stuff about head shots too. You just don't want to see it.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Would be nice to see Cherry leave but it likely won't happened. Dude has such an ego and after seeing this past Saturday's Coaches Corner, he has no intention to leave willingly. So unless Rogers decides to force him out, he ain't leaving.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
HNIC have talked about concussions plenty of time. And Cherry said plenty of stuff about head shots too. You just don't want to see it.

...and yet you continue to be presomptuous... Not very interesting to discuss anything in that context.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Some people like pro wrestling. Some people like MMA broadcasts. Some people like Don Cherry. Some people like Michel Bergeron.

Some don't.

I do not find any of those interesting. But I know that they could not run a profitable TV broadcast on what I find interesting or entertaining.

My solution, I only watch the game play and change the channel when any "analysis" is being presented.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad