Proposal: my bruin deal with vegas to move some row boats around

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
seams to me vegas has thrown this year away and wants some picks and prospects for the future... but they still need an enviroment their kids can develop in

my bruins probably could use a 3rd line center that suits them better and could certainly benefit with a lhs dman instead of 5 rhs dmen to start season

heres my proposal

from vegas
cody eakin signed 3x3.85
and nate schmidt rfa going to arbitration

from boston
matt belesky 3x3.8
ryan spooner 1x2.83
adam mcquaid 2x2.75
alex khoklachev in russia
3rd round pick

boston off loads a couple mill in cap opening up a 4th line lw battle for their kids... eakin is expensive but would please boston more than spooner. schmidt isnt physical but is bigger than krug and could prob play with mcavoy

as for vegas... mcquaid would be a fan fav... he has vicious fights. belesky might bounce back but even if he doesnt he will still fight. spooner could possibly be their number 1 center. khoklachev might come back to nhl

i like moving some cap as a bruin fan and willing to ovetpay

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Horrible for Vegas. That's two cap dumps, a struggling player, and a pick for a promising young D (probably one of their best) and a semi useful cap dump.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Terrible for Vegas. Beleskey is a cap dump, Spooner might be the only player that can play in the NHL now. And you want Vegas to give you a 3rd line centre and a young Dman?

And row boats generally aren't needed in Vegas. Well maybe at the Venetian.

ickie*

Jun 18, 2017
no real value/incentive there for vegas. honestly i think you did find a deal that makes both teams worse though

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
im under the impression eakin isnt a 20 goal guy... not really a 40 point guy... and making 3.85 mill... sort of takes the shine off him

schmidt was a 6th/7th dman in washington from what im told but showed promise... had a good playoff

vegas seams to be going with theodore and garrison as their top 2 lhs dmen. they got plenty of 3rd pairing lhs dmen on their roster... rhs is ugly with colin miller prob number 1 and englland... macquaid is better than both

i havent heard schmidts contract request... is it reasonable?

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
seams to me vegas has thrown this year away and wants some picks and prospects for the future... but they still need an enviroment their kids can develop in

my bruins probably could use a 3rd line center that suits them better and could certainly benefit with a lhs dman instead of 5 rhs dmen to start season

heres my proposal

from vegas
cody eakin signed 3x3.85

from boston
matt belesky 3x3.8
ryan spooner 1x2.83
adam mcquaid 2x2.75
3rd round pick

boston off loads a couple mill in cap opening up a 4th line lw battle for their kids... eakin is expensive but would please boston more than spooner. schmidt isnt physical but is bigger than krug and could prob play with mcavoy

as for vegas... mcquaid would be a fan fav... he has vicious fights. belesky might bounce back but even if he doesnt he will still fight. spooner could possibly be their number 1 center. khoklachev might come back to nhl

You're not really saving much space though.

Beleskey and Eakin are completely a wash, in cap and as players. Might as well not even include them in the trade.

Schmidt is another one of those 4/5/6 types like McQuaid which Boston already has a few of, albeit he's a lefty and different stylistically. It sounds like he's looking at anywhere from $2-3M in arbitration, $3ish on a long-term....probably ends up being a wash with McQuaid.

So ultimately this becomes Spooner + Koko + 3rd to move half of Spooner's cap (considering he's a roster player and will need to be replaced) and flip McQuaid to the left side while shaving a few years off. I think there's much better value out there for Spooner...

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
So Vegas does this trade to become a fighting team? We watch enough fights here...

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Yeah, I'm afraid this is a very bad proposal - you're pretty much overselling your expendable players and completely underselling our valuable players. But I'll offer some constructive criticism from our vantage point:

- Schmidt isn't going anywhere. McPhee found him and signed him out of college, then passed up a chance to select Grubauer (or make a trade for Johansson) in order to grab Schmidt. He's going to be our top-pair LD this season.
- I don't mind moving Eakin, but I think we'll end up hanging onto him for a couple of years. McPhee drafted him in Washington, and the sense is that he'll be locked into the 3C spot.

- We have absolutely no need for Beleskey. His value is almost negative, and you're better off holding onto him and hoping he rebounds in Boston. If you want us to take him, you're going to need to add a decent pick/prospect.
- I really don't see the need for Spooner. We've got too many forwards who need waivers as it is.
- McQuaid has very little value to Vegas. We had a chance to select him and took Miller instead. You can argue about who's better, but McPhee made his decision. Plus, McQuaid has already expressed his desire to NOT want to play in Vegas.

I will say that Khokhlachev intrigues me a lot. I know he's signed for another year in the KHL, so I wouldn't mind trading for his rights this season and then getting him to come over and play for us next season after we've traded all of our pending UFA's. I doubt we trade any picks, but I'm wondering if there's a deal to be made involving some of our expendable players (Sbisa, Stoner, etc). Or maybe if Boston is making a playoff push and wants to trade for Neal/Perron, we can get Khok and a pick in return?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
brutal for vegas. schmidt would cost a lot.
a deal around eakin and spooner could work, but take out the cap dump and scraps for schmidt part

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
As has been said, Schmidt is getting an expanded role here, and is one of the prime candidates for a break out.

Eakin, I would move for futures as a Vegas fan. There's just too many centers on the team, and Eakin is a pretty **** poor player in the dot.

I would move Eakin for Koko + a 3rd.

Leave Koko in Russia until the log jam clears a bit, and maybe bring him over in two years if Shipachyov is still with the team and needs a winger.

Hell, I'd probably take a 3rd straight up. Or Khokhlachev straight up.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

heres my proposal

from vegas
cody eakin signed 3x3.85

from boston
matt belesky 3x3.8
ryan spooner 1x2.83
adam mcquaid 2x2.75
3rd round pick

To summarize:

You give me two good pieces and I'll give you a large pile of crap.

Deal?

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
To summarize:

You give me two good pieces and I'll give you a large pile of crap.

Deal?

No offense but is Cody Eakin a good piece?

The problem to me seems like every player from the Bruins has a question mark but every single one of them can be as good as Eakin.

Spooner=great playmaking center, great on the power play, not much of a goal scorer, bad at faceoffs, mediocre at best defensively.

Belesky=good 3rd line winger who was injured last season and never got healthy, whether he can return to his former level in unknown.

McQuaid-good bottom pairing D and among the toughest players in the league but has had injury problems. If healthy he is valuable for a bottom pairing guy.

Khokhlachev is in the KHL, who knows if he would return to North America if he was traded.

It's easy to see the problem with every single one of those guys but Cody Eakin just isn't that good. Schmidt may or may not excel in a top 4 role in Vegas but we know he can be a good bottom pairing puck mover.

It's not a pile of crap for two good players, it is a bunch of question marks for two players that we can be pretty sure of what they are and that is why it doesn't work.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005

heres my proposal

from vegas
cody eakin signed 3x3.85

from boston
matt belesky 3x3.8
ryan spooner 1x2.83
adam mcquaid 2x2.75
3rd round pick

I like that you snuck him in like almost an afterthought. He's worth a lot more than what you offered all by himself.

Absolutely insane proposal and please stop making them.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Well the good news is this isn't your worst one. At least your not giving away the farm on this one .

Don't see why VGK do this trade though.

It's a down grade at center in Spooner.

Beleskey is cap dump.

McQuaid is an older player who will be to old by the time they get their act together.

Koko? Seriously? He can't cut it in the KHL.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Well the good news is this isn't your worst one. At least your not giving away the farm on this one .

Don't see why VGK do this trade though.

It's a down grade at center in Spooner.

Beleskey is cap dump.

McQuaid is an older player who will be to old by the time they get their act together.

At least he didn't talk about signing Iginla. :laugh:

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
usually my fellow bruin fans hate my proposals... have i finally made 1 that favors us or will they hate it too?

I just think you love overpaying for players for no reason.

This one is an anomaly though, as you've actually made a trade in the Bruins favor. Nevermind how terrible it is for the Knights, but baby steps? :sarcasm:

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
I like how you imply that Vegas is throwing this year away, yet they are an expansion team in their first year. Vegas isn't going to take on all Boston's unwanted cap

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
So, not only do the Bruins shed themselves of a player with negative value because of the contract he has(Belesky), they also get the two best players in the deal by a significant margin.

And all they give up is a 3rd round pick?

This is beyond terrible.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Eakin, I would move for futures as a Vegas fan. There's just too many centers on the team, and Eakin is a pretty **** poor player in the dot.

I would move Eakin for Koko + a 3rd.

Leave Koko in Russia until the log jam clears a bit, and maybe bring him over in two years if Shipachyov is still with the team and needs a winger.

Hell, I'd probably take a 3rd straight up. Or Khokhlachev straight up.

I'd like to move Eakin as well, especially since there are teams looking for Center depth, and we've got too many roster players as is. But I just have a bad feeling McPhee is going to hang onto him - not the end of the world, I know.

To be honest, we need to be looking for diamonds in the rough like this. The fact that he doesn't have to take a roster spot this year is ideal, and he could come back to the NHL with a chip on his shoulder. Plus, it might help bring Gusev (his KHL teammate) over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad