My 2011 WHL draft rankings

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I made this list around a month ago, and after seeing a few more of the players I made some tweaks and decided to post. The list will cover my top 25 players for the 2011 NHL draft coming out of the WHL with a brief rundown for the top 10.

1. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Red Deer Rebels. C, L, 6'0, 164lbs
RNH is the best playmaker in the draft and is head and shoulders above the rest of the WHL in this draft class. Very elusive player with amazing vision. Reads the play very well in regards to his playmaking. Very good at cycling the puck down low, even against much bigger and stronger players. Is known for a lightning quick release, but still doesn't shoot the puck enough. His skating is solid, but could really benefit from strengthening his legs to give him a quicker first step.

The biggest knock is his weight, so this summer will be important for him to hit the gym if he wants to have any shot at an NHL roster next year.

His teammates and coaches have praised his work ethic and preparedness before games.

NHL comparison : Matt Duchene

2. Duncan Siemens - Saskatoon Blades. D, L, 6'3, 200lbs
At 6'3 and over 200 pounds, the most impressive thing about Siemens is his skating ability. He is such a strong and powerful skater. His stride reminds me of Chris Pronger. Both very bow-legged skaters in that sense.

His offensive game is still coming along. His decision making is getting better, along with his patience with the puck as he has already exceeded his goal and point totals from last year.

He is a great passer and has a very hard shot. His shot still needs some work to improve his timing and accuracy, though.

He plays with a very tough physical edge, is a tough hitter and isn't afraid to drop the gloves with anyone.

Is already considered a big time leader of the Blades organization. He was actually named an assistant captain of the team before deciding to turn that down and instead give it to Stefan Elliott (who had just returned from Avs camp). He is vocal, as well as leading by example.

Overall, I think he is a very well rounded defenseman that would be considered more of a defense-first guy. Wouldn't shock me if he was the first defenseman taken in the NHL draft come June, even ahead of Adam Larsson.

NHL comparison : Ed Jovanovski

3. Sven Bartschi - Portland Winterhawks. LW, L, 5'10, 185lbs

Very solid all around player. The first year forward for Portland leads all WHL rookies in scoring (by 10 points). He's a solid skater with a good hard shot. Plays with a tough physical edge just like his country-men and Portland teammate Nino Niederreiter.

He may not have the same size as Nino, but he does have the same grit factor. Very tough player to play against and isn't afraid to get dirty to score goals and get his team a win.

NHL comparison - Alex Burrows

4. Ty Rattie - Portland Winterhawks. RW, R, 6'0, 170lbs
A very shifty, quick and dangerous player that leads the high powered Portland Winterhawks in scoring as a 17 year old. In my opinion he has the second best hands in the draft out of the WHL behind Michael St. Croix of the Edmonton Oil Kings.

He's a very solid playmaker with 33 assists so far this year in 40 games.

He is definitely a better offensive player than his teammate Bartschi, but is not quite as tough or as good defensively, thus he is ranked one spot back.

NHL comparable : Joe Pavelski, Jason Pominville

5. David Musil - Vancouver Giants. D, L, 6'3, 200lbs

At this time last year Musil would have been considered a top 5 pick. Since that time he hasn't really done anything wrong per say, he has just had players slide past him in the rankings due to their own performance on the ice.

Musil is still a solid 2-way defenseman that should become a safe and solid top 3-4 defenseman on an NHL team. He is known for being a solid skater that uses his long reach to his advantage.

If he does have one knock on him, it's that he doesn't play tough enough hockey or use his size to his advantage physically.

NHL comparison - Alex Edler

6. Mark McNeill - Prince Albert Raiders. C, R, 6'2, 210lbs

The top powerforward to come out of the WHL this year is McNeill. He is already a huge kid and knows how to use his size. He is excellent in on the forecheck and generates a ton of offense for his linemates by being physical and working hard down on the cycle.

Very solid hands in close around the net and a very good passer. Has been relied upon by the Raiders to play first line minutes all year as a 17 year old and hasn't stumbled. He plays in all situations killing penalties and on the powerplay.

Would not be shocked if a team liked him enough to take him in the top 15 of the June draft.

NHL comparison : David Backes

7. Myles Bell - Regina Pats. D, R, 6'0, 202lbs
Bell could very well be the best offensive defenseman to come out of the WHL this year. He's an excellent skater and is a very solid passer. He is not afraid to go for a skate with the puck or look for a long stretch pass to the far blueline. He does both on a regular basis.

He's got solid size at over 200 pounds. He doesn't shy away from the physical contact either.

Overall he is 4th in goals for WHL defenseman and that's saying something considering how bad his Regina Pats team is.

NHL comparison : Stephane Robidas

8. Michael St. Croix
- Edmonton Oil Kings. C, R, 5'11, 179lbs

St. Croix is arguably the most dynamic player in the WHL draft class this year. He is a very agile and quick skater and has world class hands.

Over the last month and a bit the native of Winnipeg has taken the Oil Kings on his back and pushed them up the standings. So far this year he has 49 points in 38 games, already passing his totals from last year.

I still think he struggles with consistency and is very up and down. That can be said for almost all the players on this list, so I won't judge him too early on that.

I do think he is a big wild card of this draft. He wasn't selected to participate in the top prospects game, so that either means many NHL teams aren't interested or they already have seen enough of Mr. St. Croix.

NHL comparison : Danny Briere

9. Colin Jacobs - Seattle Thunderbirds. C, R, 6'2, 204lbs
The 17 year old from Texas has taken a huge step forward in his game this year. He is already past his totals from last year in goals and assists, in exactly half as many games.

The big centre plays a very mature and solid 2 way game. He is a physical presence goes hard to the net.

Him and McNeill are the two top powerforwards in the WHL draft class, and Jacobs is not far behind McNeill. Jacobs has also been forced to play a big role with the Thunderbirds this year and is benefiting greatly from the extra ice time.

Along with his two-way game, he has also played some point on the powerplay this year in Seattle. A very useful player.

NHL comparison : Ryan Kesler

10. Reece Scarlett - Swift Current Broncos. D, R, 6'1, 168lbs
One of the biggest sleepers of the draft in my opinion.

He's a long and wiry defender that might have the best stick of any defenseman in the draft. A very solid one on one defender with very good offensive instincts.

Scarlett has been playing top paring minutes all season for the Broncos due to injuries and a lack of healthy bodies, but is taking the experience and running with it.

He's a very good passer and has amazing patience when quarterbacking a powerplay. If this kid falls passed the 2nd round, someone is getting a very solid steal on their hands.

NHL comparison : A better skating Brian Rafalski

11. Shane McColgan - Kelowna Rockets. RW, R, 5'10, 160lbs

Dynamic offensive player that has slid in many draft rankings. After a slow start his play has picked up more recently.

12. Joe Morrow - Portland Winterhawks. D, L, 6'1, 198lbs

Very solid skating defenseman. Good offensive instincts. Stealing minutes from other defenseman on his team who are no slouches.

13. Brent Benson - Saskatoon Blades. C, L, 5'11, 187lbs

Might be the most complete two way forward in the draft. Underrated offensive skills and will do anything for his team. Great PKer and shot blocker.

14. Adam Lowry - Swift Current Broncos. LW, L, 6'4, 184lbs

Son of former NHLer Dave Lowry is a big body that moves pretty well. Solid two way player who is very physical and his hands are getting better every game.

15. Jesse Forsberg - Prince George Cougars. D, L, 6'1, 195lbs

Very tough and physical defense-first defender. Tough as nails and will fight anyone, any time. Expected more offense from him this year, which hasn't materialized.

16. Graeme Craig - Swift Current Broncos. D, L, 6'4, 217lbs

The epitome of a physical defender. Very good defensively and hits like a truck. Think of a John Erskine or Brooks Orpik kind of guy.

17. Matej Stransky - Saskatoon Blades. RW, R, 6'2, 195lbs

The Czech protects the puck line his country-men Jaromir Jagr. Almost impossible to knock off the puck on the cycle. A very raw player, but could be a massive riser as the season goes on.

18. Alex Kuvaev - Lethbridge Hurricanes. RW, L, 6'3, 190lbs

The big, skilled Russian is having a very solid season. Has a dynamic skill set and great hands.

19. Colin Smith - Kamloops Blazers. C, R, 5'10, 167lbs

Big things were expected from the average-sized center, and it hasn't quite gone his way this year. He is still a very good offensive player and should pique the interest of many teams.

20. Luke Lockhart - Seattle Thunderbirds. C, R, 5'10, 182lbs

A very shifty and dangerous goal scorer. Think of a Brian Gionta-type skillset.

21. Tyler Wotherspoon - Portland Winterhawks, D
22. Keegan Lowe - Edmonton Oil Kings, D
23. Kale Kessy - Medicine Hat Tigers, C
24. Travis Ewanyk - Edmonton Oil Kings, LW
25. Laurent Brossoit - Edmonton Oil Kings, G

HM: Darren Dietz - Saskatoon, Marcel Noebels - Seattle, Marek Hrbas - Edmonton, Marek Tvrdon - Vancouver, Liam Liston - Brandon

Last edited:

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Well in!

Great list & enjoyed rationale.

I can't say I totally agree with Bartchi's Burrows comparison, but think I understand your reasoning for doing so. A better comparison eludes me right now, so can't argue too much with this.

Who would you compare dman Joe Morrow to?

--
Chris Ralph

*Prospects and draft analyst at The Hockey Writers (THW). My archives at THW: http://thehockeywriters.com/author/cralph/

*The Future Of Puck (from the files of The Hockey Spy) - focusing on the future of hockey - the prospects and the entry draft.
http://hockeyspy.blogspot.com
"The future of hockey revealed...right here, right now."

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Well in!

Great list & enjoyed rationale.

I can't say I totally agree with Bartchi's Burrows comparison, but think I understand your reasoning for doing so. A better comparison eludes me right now, so can't argue too much with this.

Who would you compare dman Joe Morrow to?

--
Chris Ralph

*Prospects and draft analyst at The Hockey Writers (THW). My archives at THW: http://thehockeywriters.com/author/cralph/

*The Future Of Puck (from the files of The Hockey Spy) - focusing on the future of hockey - the prospects and the entry draft.
http://hockeyspy.blogspot.com
"The future of hockey revealed...right here, right now."

Thanks. To be honest I have only seen Morrow once live this year, and wasn't overly blown away by him.

But, just reading around off of reports from people who have seen him more, it sounds like one of his biggest strength's is his mobility and skating.

I did have a comparison for him and thought Duncan Keith was a pretty solid one. Both around the same height and weight, both left handed and both solid puck movers and skaters.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Thanks. To be honest I have only seen Morrow once live this year, and wasn't overly blown away by him.

But, just reading around off of reports from people who have seen him more, it sounds like one of his biggest strength's is his mobility and skating.

I did have a comparison for him and thought Duncan Keith was a pretty solid one. Both around the same height and weight, both left handed and both solid puck movers and skaters.

fair enough....just remember, Duncs was only 170 lbs soaking wet at Morrow's age.
Morrow is already pushing 200 lbs. , his brother played at 210 and both his brother and Dad played at 6'1".
My 2 cents Forsberg is the better prospect.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
fair enough....just remember, Duncs was only 170 lbs soaking wet at Morrow's age.
Morrow is already pushing 200 lbs. , his brother played at 210 and both his brother and Dad played at 6'1".
My 2 cents Forsberg is the better prospect.

Thanks.

What are your thoughts of the rest of the rankings?

You know the WHL as good as anyone on this site.

chopkins

Super Bowl Champs
Aug 7, 2009
Vancouver
This should be the WHL's best draft in awhile. There's quite a lot of high-end talent this year. I'm praying that either Rattie or Musil drop to the Canucks. Rattie, IMO, has potential to be one of the top 5 players out of the 2011 draft when it's all said and done. I've loved me some Musil ever since his first Giants game. He's quietly one of the top Dmen of his draft year.

BobbyRyan9

Let's Go Bruins!
May 26, 2008
Rattie and Bartschi both play on a line with Johansen, correct? If so, how much do both of them benefit from Johansen's play? Are they showing enough individual skill to prove they're really as good as their stats show? I saw Rattie play while Bartschi and Johansen were at the WJHC and I really liked his explosiveness up front. You mentioned he isn't quite as strong as Bartschi, but in the game I saw him play in he seemed to be pretty strong on the puck and did quite a bit of his work down low.

You also seem to be really high on Siemens. I saw him play a few times and I really liked what I saw. Big guy, who's a great skater and does a good job taking care of the puck in his own end. I also saw him jump in the play a few times and also get PP minutes. One concern I did see was that he seems to play on his heels sometimes when the opposing forwards are rushing in. Have you noticed any of this, or does he seem to do a good job of limiting their space? Anyways, he was probably the second best defensemen in the game on Saskatoon when I watched him play, slightly behind Elliott. But they're games are obviously a bit different.

I don't get to watch the WHL very often, so I was hoping you could just address some of my questions in more depth. Thanks for putting out this list!

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Rattie and Bartschi both play on a line with Johansen, correct? If so, how much do both of them benefit from Johansen's play? Are they showing enough individual skill to prove they're really as good as their stats show? I saw Rattie play while Bartschi and Johansen were at the WJHC and I really liked his explosiveness up front. You mentioned he isn't quite as strong as Bartschi, but in the game I saw him play in he seemed to be pretty strong on the puck and did quite a bit of his work down low.

The games I have seen Bartschi played with Rattie while Nino-Johansen-Ross were the first line. Not sure how things have changed now that Craig Cunningham is in the fold in Portland though.

You also seem to be really high on Siemens. I saw him play a few times and I really liked what I saw. Big guy, who's a great skater and does a good job taking care of the puck in his own end. I also saw him jump in the play a few times and also get PP minutes. One concern I did see was that he seems to play on his heels sometimes when the opposing forwards are rushing in. Have you noticed any of this, or does he seem to do a good job of limiting their space? Anyways, he was probably the second best defensemen in the game on Saskatoon when I watched him play, slightly behind Elliott. But they're games are obviously a bit different.

I don't get to watch the WHL very often, so I was hoping you could just address some of my questions in more depth. Thanks for putting out this list!

Siemens is hardly ever caught back on his heels. He is very mobile for a guy his size and gets a good first push off when players try to go wide on him. He has made dozens and dozens of great one on one defensive plays in the 20-30 games I have seen him play this season.

His biggest flaw is likely the fact that he might rely too much on his skating and tends to roam a little bit in the neutral zone. He is such a great skater that it's hardly noticeable, but it is one thing that he can do from time to time, going wandering a little bit.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I am very high on McNeill, Forsberg....don't think much of Lowe.....I like Liston.

I would add a body or 2 and delete a body or 2 but you have done a good job.

Cheers

Which would you add and which would you delete? :naughty:

And how much have you seen of Saskatoon this year? Enough to get a read on Benson and Stransky?

0123456789*

I have always said Musil has been underated before and even more so now. I have seen Siemens play alot this year and I just dont see him ever being a better player. Having said that I was hoping for Musil to be a part of more offense this year, he has created more but less then I thought. Although the Giants have been a pretty bad team this year, and once Musil went down with a injury they became noticeably much worse. Musil is just so solid and simply doesnt make any mistakes, he has a booming shot and great vision and covers his own end of the ice as well as anyone I have seen, his only weakness is his partners.

Having said that all that I dont want to take anything away from Siemens but if Musil drops bellow him or out of the top 10 then someone will get a absolute steal, but I really doubt that happens.

Anyways good list and great draft out of the WHL, couple guys there should make a good impact in the NHL, and couple more have the potential to.

And obviously this is just my personal opinion.

StamkosOneTimer

Jun 29, 2010
I made this list around a month ago, and after seeing a few more of the players I made some tweaks and decided to post. The list will cover my top 25 players for the 2011 NHL draft coming out of the WHL with a brief rundown for the top 10.

16. Graeme Craig - Swift Current Broncos. D, L, 6'4, 217lbs

The epitome of a physical defender. Very good defensively and hits like a truck. Think of a John Erskine or Brooks Orpik kind of guy.

Hey Renegade, I like the list thanks. I just have to say I strongly disagree with Craig being anywhere near the top 15, I actually wouldn't have him in the top 25. Ive watched him play a few times this year and has looked like a pylon more than once.

Besides that, great list!

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Hey Renegade, I like the list thanks. I just have to say I strongly disagree with Craig being anywhere near the top 15, I actually wouldn't have him in the top 25. Ive watched him play a few times this year and has looked like a pylon more than once.

Besides that, great list!

Thanks for the comments, and I appreciate and respect your opinion.

I've seen Craig play 4 times now live this year. The first time he struggled, but that was early in the season. But since then he has been there most solid defenseman in those games. I really like his physicality. As it is with all big guys, he is going to need to work on his skating and foot speed to take his game to the next level.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Very good solid list.

Laurent Brossoit - I think should be a bit higher.

Sven Bartschi - Agreed that he plays with grit around the net, but I don't see him that much more physical like Burrows.

Sucks that Forsberg hasn't been consistently good this season.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I have always said Musil has been underated before and even more so now. I have seen Siemens play alot this year and I just dont see him ever being a better player. Having said that I was hoping for Musil to be a part of more offense this year, he has created more but less then I thought. Although the Giants have been a pretty bad team this year, and once Musil went down with a injury they became noticeably much worse. Musil is just so solid and simply doesnt make any mistakes, he has a booming shot and great vision and covers his own end of the ice as well as anyone I have seen, his only weakness is his partners.

I think both defensemen are pretty close together talent wise, but Siemens has just outplayed Musil for majority of the season and deserves the recognition. I definitely agree that Musil is the better offensively of the two while Siemens is the better defensively, but Musil's average play has hurt him in the draft like McColgan .

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Very good solid list.

Laurent Brossoit - I think should be a bit higher.

Sven Bartschi - Agreed that he plays with grit around the net, but I don't see him that much more physical like Burrows.

Sucks that Forsberg hasn't been consistently good this season.

Forsberg has been both good and consistent all season.
Physical, defensive, leads............one of the clubs top players game in game out.
The only thing he doesn't bring is big point production which he is looked upon for to begin with.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Forsberg has been both good and consistent all season.
Physical, defensive, leads............one of the clubs top players game in game out.
The only thing he doesn't bring is big point production which he is looked upon for to begin with.

My mistake. :( I meant consistently good in the offensive zone.

0123456789*

I think both defensemen are pretty close together talent wise, but Siemens has just outplayed Musil for majority of the season and deserves the recognition. I definitely agree that Musil is the better offensively of the two while Siemens is the better defensively, but Musil's average play has hurt him in the draft like McColgan .

I respect you opinion but I do disagree about Siemens outplaying Musil. Siemenes plays on the TOP team in the WHL, while Musil plays on a average to bellow average(imo) team. The Blades have 20 more points, they scored 23 more goals, they have allowed 22 fewer goals against, and they have Eliot who has been a workhorse and the go to guy on the blue line. Siemens is darn good player, I just feel like he gets overated when compared to Musil, regradless though I do think they both have a very good chance of having bright futures in the NHL.

Oh and I did a quick calculation of the Giants before and after Musil got hurt. Now keep in mind there are more variables at play here than just him but I see with my own eyes the difference he makes and what the team is missing while he is gone.

Before: 3.3 goals against and 3.46 goals for in 30 games.
After: 3.9 goals against and 2.4 goals for in 10 games.
Even his main partner Vannieuwenhuizen was a average +3 every 10 games before and ended up being a -2 the last 10 since Musil has been gone. Now that I look at it that is a difference of 5 goals or 0.5 goals against per game for his partner which is similar to the team difference of 0.6. As far as goals for go, good defensive play does open up ice for offense, what kind of impact does Musils absence have on this is pretty hard to put in numbers but the offence did drop significantly and I do believe his absence played a role(plus he contributes him self directly also).

Last edited by a moderator:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I respect you opinion but I do disagree about Siemens outplaying Musil. Siemenes plays on the TOP team in the WHL, while Musil plays on a average to bellow average(imo) team. The Blades have 20 more points, they scored 23 more goals, they have allowed 22 fewer goals against, and they have Eliot who has been a workhorse and the go to guy on the blue line. Siemens is darn good player, I just feel like he gets overated when compared to Musil, regradless though I do think they both have a very good chance of having bright futures in the NHL.

Oh and I did a quick calculation of the Giants before and after Musil got hurt. Now keep in mind there are more variables at play here than just him but I see with my own eyes the difference he makes and what the team is missing while he is gone.

Before: 3.3 goals against and 3.46 goals for in 30 games.
After: 3.9 goals against and 2.4 goals for in 10 games.
Even his main partner Vannieuwenhuizen was a average +3 every 10 games before and ended up being a -2 the last 10 since Musil has been gone. Now that I look at it that is a difference of 5 goals or 0.5 goals against per game for his partner which is similar to the team difference of 0.6. As far as goals for go, good defensive play does open up ice for offense, what kind of impact does Musils absence have on this is pretty hard to put in numbers but the offence did drop significantly and I do believe his absence played a role(plus he contributes him self directly also).

True that when Musil is out of the line up it does hurt the Giants, (Trust me am I Avs fan and there are some games that I would love to have Stewart back) but which player is more impressive to you? Giants become automatically better when Musil return's to the lineup or Siemens getting top 3 minutes on a VERY deep Saskatoon team. Before the season started I thought Musil was much better than Siemens, but after watching each other player couple times I can tell you I prefer Siemens. That doesn't make Musil a bad player, though it comes down to personal choice on who to take. I prefer very physical defensemen over a finesse offensive defenseman. Only thing I don't like from Musil is he doesn't use his size enough while Siemens acknowledges his size and uses it effectively.

Avery4Byng*

Another wonderful job of overrating and overhyping St Croix, while on the other hand underrating McColgan.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Another wonderful job of overrating and overhyping St Croix, while on the other hand underrating McColgan.

I really like what I have seen out of St. Croix this year, and to be honest, McColgan is one of 5 players on my list that I haven't seen live this year.

Hard to gauge a player based off reading alone. Never said my rankings were perfect.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

1. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Red Deer Rebels. C, L, 6'0, 164lbs

Good stuff.

How many of these guys do you think will be at the U-18 WC in Germany in April?

Would be nice to see a few of them...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad