My 2011 WHL draft rankings

0123456789*

True that when Musil is out of the line up it does hurt the Giants, (Trust me am I Avs fan and there are some games that I would love to have Stewart back) but which player is more impressive to you? Giants become automatically better when Musil return's to the lineup or Siemens getting top 3 minutes on a VERY deep Saskatoon team. Before the season started I thought Musil was much better than Siemens, but after watching each other player couple times I can tell you I prefer Siemens. That doesn't make Musil a bad player, though it comes down to personal choice on who to take. I prefer very physical defensemen over a finesse offensive defenseman. Only thing I don't like from Musil is he doesn't use his size enough while Siemens acknowledges his size and uses it effectively.

I agree that Siemens is much more aggressive but Musil isnt a prototypical European dman himself. He is no where near as tough and physical as Siemens but he doesnt shy away from dropping the gloves on occasion and does use his body, just doesnt make bone crushing hits. I think Siemens is a better skater then Musil though Musil is strong himself. The thing that I like about Musil is that he has a very mature game that I think will translate way better in to the NHL. He is very steady and plays smart and positionally well, I think this with his skill set will make him a very good NHL dman but at the same time it lowers his production in the WHL where the game is much simpler and taking risks that would kill you in the NHL is worth it, and he doesnt take them. Sometimes players come along that are very good in the WHL but cant translate that to the NHL, and sometimes there are players that come along that are actually better in the NHL then the WHL when comparing them to their peers. Lots of players put up big numbers in the WHL but when they get to the NHL they have to play a responsible game because the risks they are used to taking that result in scoring(or defensive plays that work in the WHL) are easily exploited and they have to adjust their game to the point where the opportunities to produce scoring that they had in the WHL simply disappear(or the defensive plays and habits dont work at the NHL level). Now having said that I think Siemens is a smart dman in his own right, but Musil to me is on another level.

I think Siemens upside is big and his raw talent such as skating is probably a small notch above Musil, but Musil to me is just such a efficient player that already plays the NHL game and his overall skill set just looks perfect. I really see him as a top pairing dman in the NHL and potential star, in Siemens I see the same potential but a much higher chance of not reaching as his game is not at the same NHL level and lots of players cant perform to their abilities with the more complicated NHL game. Thats not to say that I dont think Siemens isnt capable but just that its not easy to put it all together for the next step no matter how good you are. Imo Musil has already put it all together, even though it doesnt show in the WHL where many weaknesses arent exploited like they are in the NHL thus many strengths that are important in the NHL are much less apparent.

I suppose I think Musil is the safer pick and I think the overall potential of both players is similar.

Anyways end of rant, my opinion is really just my opinion, it will be interesting where both these players stand in a few years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trot

Dec 4, 2002
Seattle, Wa
Visit site
Interesting read. A couple thoughts on the Seattle guys because I've seen them the most.

Colin Jacobs is still very raw as a prospect. He's the definition of a long term prospect for anyone that drafts him. That said he's improved leaps and bounds from last year. Not just from a skill stand point but maturity as well. Seattle needs him on the ice as much as possible and he has drastically cut the number of dumb penalties he takes. There is still a lot of growing into the body to do, if he can piece it all together he'll be pretty scary. I'm not sure about the Kesler comparison (even Kesler-Lite), give him a couple seasons and I think he'll be closer to Jamie Langenbrunner, that's just my opinion of course.

Personally I'd flip Noebels and Lockhart in your rankings. Lockhart is shifty but he's tiny. I've really liked what I've seen of Noebels (especially liked the chemistry when he and Jacobs were paired). Decent size and good skill.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Interesting read. A couple thoughts on the Seattle guys because I've seen them the most.

Colin Jacobs is still very raw as a prospect. He's the definition of a long term prospect for anyone that drafts him. That said he's improved leaps and bounds from last year. Not just from a skill stand point but maturity as well. Seattle needs him on the ice as much as possible and he has drastically cut the number of dumb penalties he takes. There is still a lot of growing into the body to do, if he can piece it all together he'll be pretty scary. I'm not sure about the Kesler comparison (even Kesler-Lite), give him a couple seasons and I think he'll be closer to Jamie Langenbrunner, that's just my opinion of course.

Personally I'd flip Noebels and Lockhart in your rankings. Lockhart is shifty but he's tiny. I've really liked what I've seen of Noebels (especially liked the chemistry when he and Jacobs were paired). Decent size and good skill.

Thanks for the insight!

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Hrbas should definately be in the top 15 or so I'd think. He will certainly be drafted between the 3rd and 5th round.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
The thing about a Jacobs- Kesler comparison that doesn't work is the skating. Kesler without his tremendous skating would be a different player.

That said I really like your rankings, particularly that you still have Colin Smith on there when stat watchers (given his height and weight) would have dropped him. In fact CSB did drop him (preliminary rankings). His skill and skating is miles above where his numbers are right now.

I hope the Canucks can land McNeill/Bartschi with our 1st, and Forsberg with our 2cnd. Smith and Kessy with our 4-7th would be a perfect draft to me. Not holding my breath that any of that will happen though.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
Hrbas should definately be in the top 15 or so I'd think. He will certainly be drafted between the 3rd and 5th round.

Really? I always liked Hrbas when he played in Czech but I thought and actually heard that he has had tough season so far in WHL.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
what about Sissons of Kelowna Rockets. Great speed and agility.
There are alot of kids from the WHL (as I am sure other leagues)
that should have / could have been listed.
For the most part it is not a big deal as the NHL clubs certainly know who they are.
Home team geography plays a big role in this list.....shouldn't but it is a fact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad