My 2011 NHL Draft North Amercain Top 40

Gervess

@Gervess
Jan 3, 2011
Gatineau, Quebec
Here is my 2011 Top 40 ranking what do you think, this is up to date from mid December so many players will change I know Shane Prince is playing really good too.

01. A Sean Couturier (LHJMQ)
02. A Gabriel Landeskog (OHL)
03. A Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (WHL)
04. D Ryan Murphy (OHL)
05. D Dougie Hamilton (OHL)
06. A Ryan Strome (OHL)
07. A Jonathan Huberdeau (LHJMQ)
08. A Brandon Saad (OHL)
09. D Duncan Siemens (WHL)
10. D David Musil (WHL)
11. A Ty Rattie (WHL)
12. A Seth Ambroz (USHL)
13. D Nathan Beaulieu (LHJMQ)
14. A Matt Puempel (OHL)
15. A Tomas Jurco (LHJMQ)
16. A Alexandr Khokhlachev (OHL)
17. A Vladislav Namestnikov (OHL)
18. D Myles Bell (WHL)
19. D Scott Harrington (OHL)
20. A Nicklas Jensen (OHL)
21. A Zack Phillips (LHJMQ)
22. A Daniel Catenacci (OHL)
23. A Sven Bartschi (WHL)
24. A Michael St.Croix (WHL)
25. A Tobias Rieder (OHL)
26. D Xavier Ouellet (LHJMQ)
27. A Boone Jenner (OHL)
28. A Phillip Danault (LHJMQ)
29. A Rocco Grimaldi (USHL)
30. A Shane McColgan (WHL)
31. D Adam Clendening (NCAA)
32. D Matthew Nieto (NCAA)
33. A Luca Lessio (OHL)
34. A Mark McNeill (WHL)
35. A Stefan Noesen (OHL)
36. G Christopher Gibson (LHJMQ)
37. A Jean-Gabriel Pageau (LHJMQ)
38. A Mark Scheifele (OHL)
39. A Rickard Rakell (OHL)
40. A Nick Shore (NCAA)

Lazarrr

Apr 10, 2010
Ottawa
Personally I think you should switch Shane Prince for Daniel Catenacci. I've seen a lot of Prince this year and he's a special player. It's hard to see how well his game will translate to the NHL and obviously it help having Martindale and Toffolli on your line but he battles hard and is usually creating the plays. Otherwise a very good list but I don't understand why you Used A's instead of F's.

QMJHL37

Aug 3, 2010
Gatineau
Personally I think you should switch Shane Prince for Daniel Catenacci. I've seen a lot of Prince this year and he's a special player. It's hard to see how well his game will translate to the NHL and obviously it help having Martindale and Toffolli on your line but he battles hard and is usually creating the plays. Otherwise a very good list but I don't understand why you Used A's instead of F's.

I've been to almost every 67's home game this season. Believe me on most nights Prince and Toffoli are what make that line go. Prince doesn't quite have Toffoli's shot but Prince has everything else that makes the line go! I've seen that line without Martindale when he was injured for a few. Toffoli and Prince still dominated, they were on fire. If Prince keeps on his torrid pace (and it appears he's still building steam) he will be chosen in the Top 25 and possibly the Top 15. Go ahead and doubt but come draft day how many teams are going to pass over a 120 point OHL forward with speed and skill? Think about it.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

A is French (avant) for forward.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Why do you like Zack Phillips ahead of Xavier Ouellet? Phillips hasn't really stood out in the games I've seen. I think he's a product of playing with a great team.

Ian Altenbaugh

May 24, 2008
Pittsburgh
Nice work on the list.

As one of the editors at HF, I can appreciate the amount of work that goes into constructing one.

You tend to overrate a lot of CHL prospects. It's nothing against you as much as they are seriously over-scouted. That is not to say the Canadian Major Junior leagues don't provide a ton of great NHL talent, they annually provide some of the best in the world, just that CHL players get scouted a lot compared to other players, to the point where their game is over-dissected.

There are a few players there, that while are good scorers, are seriously undersized meaning under 5'10. The Tyler Ennis' of the world are the exception to the rule in the same way the Zdeno Chara's are. Part of the issue with many gifted offensive players is that they are forced to play in the lower leagues and juniors a little longer than others and can develop some bad habits on both sides of the puck. Tobias Reider for example, I don't see as a bonafide NHL prospect at this point. He is playing alright now but when the game becomes far more structured and the players bigger and stronger, he could run into some trouble battling for the puck and playing tough defensemen with good sticks.

The same could be said about Shane Prince. He's got some great skills and plays on an extremely skilled line. How will he fair matched up against NHL defensemen though has to leave some concern.

I could see Saad going earlier than 8...possibly in the top-5. He's physically one of the most mature players in the draft class and could probably slide into the NHL assuming he didn't have to take on too much responsibility. He can skate very well for a big man which makes him a rare commodity. Talent-wise, I'd say he's similar to Bobby Ryan.

The USHL has a few good prospects this season aside from Grimaldi including Scott Mayfield. More and more teams are drafting players out of the amateur leagues because they like the flexibility they have with the player and how he develops. The college option is particularly appealing for goaltenders and defensemen since they tend to take longer to develop anyway. Don't expect this trend to stop anytime soon.

All that said, this is not going to be a particularly good draft class compared to the last few. The first few rounds will be alright but once you get into fourth and beyond, there could be for a lot of 'project players' or 'hit-or-miss' prospects. It's just how things fluctuate from year-to-year.

Gervess

@Gervess
Jan 3, 2011
Gatineau, Quebec
Why do you like Zack Phillips ahead of Xavier Ouellet? Phillips hasn't really stood out in the games I've seen. I think he's a product of playing with a great team.

Yeah like I've said it was a mid-december ranking, I have Phillips, Harrington, Jurco, Jenner that has fallen a bit and Prince, Nieto and McNeill that has gotten up a little bit.

And just to let know everyone, Larsson is the first on my europeen Top 10, with Armia, Rask, Jaskin and Shanulov following in that order. I do two list because I don't same info with players in Europe so I prefer to don't mix them up too late.

loxcane

Apr 7, 2008
Canaduh
Prince over Catenacci? Seriously? I guess counting stats are all that do matter to those who never see most play

Hamilton35

Jan 21, 2009
Well what exactly is Catenacci better than Prince at? Prince is bigger than him too. So what you got?

Dont get me started on Schleife either...

loxcane

Apr 7, 2008
Canaduh
Better player at every single aspect of hockey. Too bad Catenacci didn't have his linemates so you could conclude stats are all that matter for him too

Trunz05

Dec 2, 2010
Well what exactly is Catenacci better than Prince at? Prince is bigger than him too. So what you got?

Dont get me started on Schleife either...

Catenacci had been described as the mist complete player in the draft other than landeskog just to put things into perspective for you.

Trunz05

Dec 2, 2010
Better player at every single aspect of hockey. Too bad Catenacci didn't have his linemates so you could conclude stats are all that matter for him too

This.

It's really too bad for catenacci that he doesn't have any really good linemates other than Thompson maybe, and he benefits from playing with catenacci.

loxcane

Apr 7, 2008
Canaduh
And if the reports out of the Soo are correct, he won't even have Thompson for long either, then he'll really drop.....

Lazarrr

Apr 10, 2010
Ottawa

Like me and the person who posted under, if you actually watch him play like I do for most of the 67's game, then you'd notice he creates his own chances. He goes against players like Taylor Doherty of the Kingston Frontenacs and is able to dominate his opposition physically and outplay these players with his smarts and skills. No doubt he has on of the best pure goal scorers in the entire chl of his line, but you have to consider why he has so many goals. He has so many because Prince is able to setup most of the time. I'm not saying he's the best player in the draft but he is by far better then Catenacci and stats don't lie. And if think Catenacci has more NHL potential then Prince then you have to realize that he's smaller then Prince. Like I said before, I'm not sure how well his game will translate to the NHL, but I'll be surprised if some team doesn't take a chance on him in the 1st round.

loxcane

Apr 7, 2008
Canaduh
As long as it isn't bias talking because apparently no one agrees with you, including pro scouts. Catanacci plays in all situations and plays them very well. Again, let him play with Toffoli and Martindale and see how your stats equal themselves out per actual talent. As far as size? You lost me. The best player in the world isn't 6 feet tall. The third highest scorer in the NHL isn't 6 feet tall. Do you think anyone cares about 1 inch?

Lazarrr

Apr 10, 2010
Ottawa
Another thing. Don't get me wrong Catenacci is great player to watch and could end up being a better then Prince. But do you really think a team is going to pass up a potential 1st/2nd line scoring forward then a small sized 2nd/3rd two way forward. Sure Prince could end up being a bust, but as of right he has more potential to be a better NHLer then Catenacci. Btw if the Sens drafted Catenacci I would be thrilled.

Trunz05

Dec 2, 2010
......ugghhhh. i'm not going to argue with you people ablout this, your opinion is yours and mine is mine.

ohlguy

Oct 18, 2010
Oshawa
I have seen both Catenacci and Prince play a minimum of 10 games each this season. Catenacci is by far the better pro prospect, not taking anything away from Prince but just look at Catenacci's overall strength on the ice and on his skates. He is one of the Gary Roberts boys working out at Gary's home which will go a long way for him as seen this season. Just immagine what he will do after another summer with Roberts. Also look at who Catenacci's linemates are and who Prince gets to play with. Thompson and Catenacci are both Centres and do not play on the same line for the Greyhounds.

Scouts also look at the fact that Catenacci is a 93 born and Prince being a 92 born has played an extra year in the OHL. Prince had 12 points his first OHL year and Catenacci had 30 points in his first year. Prince had 30 points in his second year and Catenacci curently in his second year has 48 points in 37 games so far and should blow past Prince's second year totals. Lets not forget that Cat is doing this with not much support. Now, lets see what Catenacci would do next season in his third year if he gets Toffoli and whoever on his line?

Never mind the points, Catenacci is probably the most complete player in this draft. He can score, set-up plays, penalty kills and will shut down top lines in the league. He is the Greyhounds hardest hitter, his 60 plus minutes in penalties can confirm the edge he plays with. I have also read a few scouting reports having him down as the fastest skater in the draft. From what I've been hearing as of late, Catenacci should crack the top 15 if his play keeps up. I also like Prince, but he doesn't bring what Catenacci brings as far as a pro prospect.

Gervess

@Gervess
Jan 3, 2011
Gatineau, Quebec
Scouts also look at the fact that Catenacci is a 93 born and Prince being a 92 born has played an extra year in the OHL. Prince had 12 points his first OHL year and Catenacci had 30 points in his first year. Prince had 30 points in his second year and Catenacci curently in his second year has 48 points in 37 games so far and should blow past Prince's second year totals. Lets not forget that Cat is doing this with not much support. Now, lets see what Catenacci would do next season in his third year if he gets Toffoli and whoever on his line?

I'm 100% with you on this and with the fact that Catenacci is one of the most complete player of this draft. The thing I like the most with Catenacci is hat he can pass but he can score as well. And he is one of my favorites player of this draft along with Couturier, Landeskog, Murphy, Strome, Huberdeau, Rattie and St.Croix

Trunz05

Dec 2, 2010
I have seen both Catenacci and Prince play a minimum of 10 games each this season. Catenacci is by far the better pro prospect, not taking anything away from Prince but just look at Catenacci's overall strength on the ice and on his skates. He is one of the Gary Roberts boys working out at Gary's home which will go a long way for him as seen this season. Just immagine what he will do after another summer with Roberts. Also look at who Catenacci's linemates are and who Prince gets to play with. Thompson and Catenacci are both Centres and do not play on the same line for the Greyhounds.

Never mind the points, Catenacci is probably the most complete player in this draft. He can score, set-up plays, penalty kills and will shut down top lines in the league. He is the Greyhounds hardest hitter, his 60 plus minutes in penalties can confirm the edge he plays with. I have also read a few scouting reports having him down as the fastest skater in the draft. From what I've been hearing as of late, Catenacci should crack the top 15 if his play keeps up. I also like Prince, but he doesn't bring what Catenacci brings as far as a pro prospect.

Thank you for this, this is everything I wanted to say and more. I'd just like to add that I don't think any hounds forwards are even drafted some because they aren't eligible and some because they're too old, and only three are likely o be drafted this year, catenacci cousins and Findlay maybe. Not too important but just to show you what he's got to work with.

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
2011 draft

Being from St John and a die hard, dog fan, Im surprised phillips is not a bit higher, he is certainly better than jurco, He and huberdeau have been unbelievable. Playing on the top ranked team in the country and are 1 and 2 in scoring both with nearly 60 points in 39 games and plus/minuses of around 30..not shabby !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad