My 2011 NHL Draft North Amercain Top 40

Hamilton35

Jan 21, 2009
The age factor is almost nil here. Prince is 3 and half months older. As for comparing their rookie year stats (even tho you knock stats), I dont think you can ignore the development that Prince has made. He came into this season with an extra 15lbs of muscle on his frame. Not only is he bigger, but imo this helped improve his speed. He is by far one of the fastest players in the league with the puck.

Also, you cant call him a soft playmaking winger. Do you think Martindale and Toffoli are going to go to the corners or stand in front of the net? Not a chance. Hes the grit on the big line.

It definitely helps to play with skill players, but Toffoli and Martindale had very average starts to the season before Prince joined the line. Toffoli had 22pts in 16 games before they played together after Sarnia. Martindale had 24 in 18. Prince was leading the team before this. Since putting them together they have all seen a big increase in production. Stats dont show everything, but they do mean something. Not like we are trying to say a 40 point player is better. We are talking about a kid in 2nd.

When you say Catenacci is a more complete player, the only way I see how is because he is a Centre and has more responsibility defensively. Prince has shown much more flash, determination, and high end skill in the offensive zone than I have seen in Catenacci.

I would take the top 6 potential of a Shane Prince over the safe pick of a Dan Catenacci.

ohlguy

Oct 18, 2010
Oshawa
I have seen both Catenacci and Prince play a minimum of 10 games each this season. Catenacci is by far the better pro prospect, not taking anything away from Prince but just look at Catenacci's overall strength on the ice and on his skates. He is one of the Gary Roberts boys working out at Gary's home which will go a long way for him as seen this season. Just immagine what he will do after another summer with Roberts. Also look at who Catenacci's linemates are and who Prince gets to play with. Thompson and Catenacci are both Centres and do not play on the same line for the Greyhounds.

Scouts also look at the fact that Catenacci is a 93 born and Prince being a 92 born has played an extra year in the OHL. Prince had 12 points his first OHL year and Catenacci had 30 points in his first year. Prince had 30 points in his second year and Catenacci curently in his second year has 48 points in 37 games so far and should blow past Prince's second year totals. Lets not forget that Cat is doing this with not much support. Now, lets see what Catenacci would do next season in his third year if he gets Toffoli and whoever on his line?

Never mind the points, Catenacci is probably the most complete player in this draft. He can score, set-up plays, penalty kills and will shut down top lines in the league. He is the Greyhounds hardest hitter, his 60 plus minutes in penalties can confirm the edge he plays with. I have also read a few scouting reports having him down as the fastest skater in the draft. From what I've been hearing as of late, Catenacci should crack the top 15 if his play keeps up. I also like Prince, but he doesn't bring what Catenacci brings as far as a pro prospect.

If you read the quote above you will see it said that Prince being a 92 born has played in the OHL an extra year. An extra year of development means a lot to a scout projecting potential. Now given that Catenacci has more than doubled Prince's first year totals and should easily double Prince's second year totals just think of what he will do in his third year if he is given the opportunity to play with players like Toffoli and Martindale? The Greyhounds do not have one NHL drafted forward. The skill and speed of Cat is incredible. Mix that with his strength and you don't get too many players that have a combination of Speed skill and grit. I have watched these two players on many occasions and Catenacci has shown me more in all aspects. This doesn't mean that Prince isn't a good prospect and I actually like him as a player.

QMJHL37

Aug 3, 2010
Gatineau
If you read the quote above you will see it said that Prince being a 92 born has played in the OHL an extra year. An extra year of development means a lot to a scout projecting potential. Now given that Catenacci has more than doubled Prince's first year totals and should easily double Prince's second year totals just think of what he will do in his third year if he is given the opportunity to play with players like Toffoli and Martindale? The Greyhounds do not have one NHL drafted forward. The skill and speed of Cat is incredible. Mix that with his strength and you don't get too many players that have a combination of Speed skill and grit. I have watched these two players on many occasions and Catenacci has shown me more in all aspects. This doesn't mean that Prince isn't a good prospect and I actually like him as a player.

Prince-Martindale-Toffoli were not a line for the first 13 games of this season. After 13 games Prince-19pts, Martindale-14pts, Nesbitt-14pts, Toffoli-13pts. So clearly Prince was fine before that line was put together. Not sure who Prince was playing with but Smith was the LW with Martindale-Toffoli.

Also Catenacci came into the OHL as the #1 draft pick. Everone knows that in itself is going to buy him quality ice time. Catenacci played more PP in SSM in one game than Prince did in his entire time in Kitchener before the trade to Ottawa. Prince was a 3rd or 4th line PK which is why he wanted out of Kitchener. So comparing their numbers prior to this season means nil.

Also Prince being a late '92 will not have any negative affect on him at all. Taylor Hall, Joey Hishon just to name 2 of last years 1st round late '91s. In fact Prince's late birthyear status could actually help him as scouts see he is still growing and still improving.

Also it's not like Shane Prince is outproducing ONLY the 2011 Draft Eligibles but he is also outproducing the 2010 Draft Class who remain in the CHL. So whether he's a few months older than this years 93's he's also younger than last years drafts as well and outperforming them. So what does that say about last years drafts?

Getting back to Catenacci I have only seen him play the one time Soo came to Ottawa and he looked very good to me. I think both Catenacci and Prince are bonafide 1st round players with a better than average chance of a good NHL carreer. Both swift agile skaters, solid, gritty with skill. I love those kind of players and clearly they can both get the job done.

loxcane

Apr 7, 2008
Canaduh
Nesbitt- 8
Lindsay- 7
Martindale- 5

These were the main contributers for prince through those first 13 games.

As far as Catenacci getting prime ice time his first year. No, he didn't. He never got 1st line time at all and was always 2nd or 3rd line, killing penalties and 2nd PP unit for the most part. The Hounds were trying to win last year so they had Thompson centering the first line and usually it was Cousins centering the second. This year he played with Findlay and Carrick and the only time he saw Thompson, the only legit scoring threat aside from Catenacci was on the PP

GoWingsGo

Aug 4, 2010
Livonia, MI
Better player at every single aspect of hockey. Too bad Catenacci didn't have his linemates so you could conclude stats are all that matter for him too

What an absolute ridiculous statement. Catenacci better than Prince at all aspects of hockey Really? Take a look at this clip below, I do believe that's Catenacci #7 skating lazy and eating Prince's dust while Prince is lighting the lamp!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYPKFr5Wxmc

I've seen Catenacci play many times. He's a very good player and might be as good as Prince in a few areas but he's not clearly better than Prince at anything and that is not meant as a knock against Catenacci. I think they will both get drafted very high and are a lot better than some others. But get real with the outrageous comments.

And when the combine comes around meet me here and we'll talk about the strength tests results. Prince is a beast in the gym and would have kicked ass at last years combine too.

loxcane

Apr 7, 2008
Canaduh
Great. We'll judge by that clip who can do what because as everyone knows, one clip is all it takes an NHL team to decide on their picks, don't we?

james30

Jan 13, 2010
Looked at your link. Oh woopie. That was the 7th goal in a game! You have to show something a bit better than that to get him drafted in the first round! With as many points as he has there must be a better video. I have a feeling he will be a replacement player in the Top prospects game.

Last edited:

Hamilton35

Jan 21, 2009
Nesbitt- 8
Lindsay- 7
Martindale- 5

These were the main contributers for prince through those first 13 games.

As far as Catenacci getting prime ice time his first year. No, he didn't. He never got 1st line time at all and was always 2nd or 3rd line, killing penalties and 2nd PP unit for the most part. The Hounds were trying to win last year so they had Thompson centering the first line and usually it was Cousins centering the second. This year he played with Findlay and Carrick and the only time he saw Thompson, the only legit scoring threat aside from Catenacci was on the PP

He was never playing behind cousins. He was playing the wing many times last year, and is playing and has playe3d with Thompson.

If you want to compare teammates, Prince played with Merrett and Carnevale last year in Ottawa. His fault he didnt get points?

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Amazing how little love Colin Jacobs is getting these days. I seem to be the only guy trying to pimp him around here. I guess I am to him what scoutman is to MacKinnon

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Amazing how little love Colin Jacobs is getting these days. I seem to be the only guy trying to pimp him around here. I guess I am to him what scoutman is to MacKinnon

I've done my fair share of pimping Jacobs. Very impressive player. Very smart.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I get to see Catenacci play every night so my view is probably a little "homerish", I have only seen Prince play a few times since he plays in the East. Prince was impressive when he was here, but its hard for me to compare him to the Cat. What I can say about Cat is; fastest player I can rememeber in the Soo and maybe the league since I started buying season tickets, he is more dynamic that any Hounds I have watched including Carter or Thornton... sure both were high picks, but never did anything close to what Catenacci does on the ice. The kid blows you away every game, and he is doing it this year on a last place squad, his current linemates are David Quesnele and Brett Findlay (some nights Nick Cousins).. he is not working with other stars, but is still putting up great numbers. He is the go to guy for the PK, he plays the PP and will even play the point sometimes on the man advantage. He is good in shootouts, and often is relied on to shutdown the key players on the other team... I mean last year they relied on him to shut down Seguin, when he was a 16 year old rookie. I think Cat will go somewhere near 20th overall, I cant speak for Prince because I have seen him play.. but I would not be suprised to see the Cat move up a few spots, or maybe fall a few.. the draft all depends on who gets hot near the end of the year, also Cat will not get the benifit of impressing scouts in the playoffs like some other players

ohlguy

Oct 18, 2010
Oshawa
I get to see Catenacci play every night so my view is probably a little "homerish", I have only seen Prince play a few times since he plays in the East. Prince was impressive when he was here, but its hard for me to compare him to the Cat. What I can say about Cat is; fastest player I can rememeber in the Soo and maybe the league since I started buying season tickets, he is more dynamic that any Hounds I have watched including Carter or Thornton... sure both were high picks, but never did anything close to what Catenacci does on the ice. The kid blows you away every game, and he is doing it this year on a last place squad, his current linemates are David Quesnele and Brett Findlay (some nights Nick Cousins).. he is not working with other stars, but is still putting up great numbers. He is the go to guy for the PK, he plays the PP and will even play the point sometimes on the man advantage. He is good in shootouts, and often is relied on to shutdown the key players on the other team... I mean last year they relied on him to shut down Seguin, when he was a 16 year old rookie. I think Cat will go somewhere near 20th overall, I cant speak for Prince because I have seen him play.. but I would not be suprised to see the Cat move up a few spots, or maybe fall a few.. the draft all depends on who gets hot near the end of the year, also Cat will not get the benifit of impressing scouts in the playoffs like some other players

Glad to hear from someone who watches Catenacci on a cosistent basis. I have watched him quite a bit this season and I believe it won't really matter where he is ranked by NHL CS. NHL teams aren't dumb and see what this kid brings every shift. I was also passionate of Skinner and Hishon last season when NHL CS had them ranked way lower than where they should have been ranked. We all know where both ended up going even though CS had them way lower. Other than the PP Cat does not play with Thompson, but does play with Findlay, Quesnelle and sometimes with Cousins. Earlier I also found out that not one forward on the Greyhounds has been drafted to the NHL. Thanks for your confirmation Saska Sault.

Ghockey10

Oct 31, 2010
ohlguy brought up some good points, but I have to disagree. Both Prince and Catenacci are great players and will go high in the draft this June. I think both will be drafted first round. Having played with Prince in minor hockey, I would say that he brings great speed and playmaking ability to the table. His work ethic and attitude are second to none as well. Catenacci has unreal speed too, but has a slightly smaller build than Prince, which matters to NHL scouts. Prince also impressed the other day at the top prospects game, scoring the only goal for Team Cherry and played on the top line with Couturier and Thomas Jurco. That is definitely going to boost his stock come this June. I agree that Prince definitely has an advantage playing with Martindale and Toffoli, while Catenacci doesn't have as much talent on his line. However, Prince is the one who sets up everything for Martindale and Toffoli, and statistics definitely matter to scouts. If Prince finishes the year in the top 2 in OHL scoring, there is no doubt in my mind that he will break the top 15 and possibly the top 10. Catenacci is a great prospect as well, but I see him going later in the first round.

edgevolution

GO USA!
Apr 7, 2010
State of Hockey
1 Person I think is missing from your list is Mario Lucia. Top rated player in the Minnesota high school league, ranked 30th in the NHL midterm rankings. The kid is a hell of player. I get that nobody outside of Minnesota gets to watch the guys from here play, but he deserves to be on the list.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Catenacci showed his speed this past prospects game, winning the fastest skater and scoring a nice shorty to start the game off. As for Prince, I was impressed with him. Interesting that he was a replacement player, with his point totals you would figure he would have been a lock? Must be something scouts see or dont see in him? As for comparing the players, the are different players in different situations.. very hard to compare. Its like comparing Tavares to Stamkos, both out of this world talents, but playing on two different teams. If Tavares had St. Louis, Vinny and Gange would he put up 40 or 50 goals, could be? If Stamkos played on Long Island, and had no one to give him one timers, how would he fare? Who knows, who cares. Both Catenacci and Prince are great players, and will be high picks.

As for Catenacci not having top end potential, I disagree. Yes his size will be a problem, but skill is skill, it will translate if it is there. He makes unreal plays, is chippy, has an edge, and is one of the most skilled Hounds I have seen in decades. His speed is already NHL ready, and his defensive play is above average, I can see him making an NHL squad as a teenager/young 20's, playing a checking line role and developing into a top 6 player. As for Prince, I cannot comment because I have rarely seen him play.

GoWingsGo

Aug 4, 2010
Livonia, MI
Catenacci showed his speed this past prospects game, winning the fastest skater and scoring a nice shorty to start the game off. As for Prince, I was impressed with him. Interesting that he was a replacement player, with his point totals you would figure he would have been a lock? Must be something scouts see or dont see in him? As for comparing the players, the are different players in different situations.. very hard to compare. Its like comparing Tavares to Stamkos, both out of this world talents, but playing on two different teams. If Tavares had St. Louis, Vinny and Gange would he put up 40 or 50 goals, could be? If Stamkos played on Long Island, and had no one to give him one timers, how would he fare? Who knows, who cares. Both Catenacci and Prince are great players, and will be high picks.

As for Catenacci not having top end potential, I disagree. Yes his size will be a problem, but skill is skill, it will translate if it is there. He makes unreal plays, is chippy, has an edge, and is one of the most skilled Hounds I have seen in decades. His speed is already NHL ready, and his defensive play is above average, I can see him making an NHL squad as a teenager/young 20's, playing a checking line role and developing into a top 6 player. As for Prince, I cannot comment because I have rarely seen him play.

Keep in mind that only a handful of players were selected for each event at the top Prospects Skills Competition. So because Catenacci won the fastest skater event doesn't mean he's the fastest skater of all the prospects. Taking nothing away from the kid because he's fast and can play, I like him and Prince a whole lot more than 75% of the top 30 ranked players by NHLCS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->