My 2010 Draft-Redo(Top 44)

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I know, I know....Top 44...?? What a random amount.

Anyway, I got as far as 44 then got a headache and thought it was too difficult to figure out the rest....

So here's the idea.......this draft is based on my best guess of how the draft would go if NHL GM's were forced to redo it - today - right now - March 15th a little after midnight...

So, knowing what we know today....The GM's re-convene and get a 2nd crack at things....

1. Edmonton - Taylor Hall - I still think the Oil take Taylor, though Tyler isn't debated
2. Boston - Jeff Skinner- If the B's could do it over...how do you not grab Skinner
3. Florida - Cam Fowler- knowing what we know now of CF's 18 yr old rookie yr
4. Columbus - Tyler Seguin- Jackets love Johansen, but can't pass on Seguin
5. NY Islanders - Ryan Johansen- Islanders are loving Johansen at 5
6. Tampa Bay - Brett Connolly- I say Stevie Y stays with Connolly
7. Carolina - Alexander Burmistrov-pissed about Skinner, Canes take Datsyuk-lite
8. Atlanta - Vladimir Tarasenko-Having lost Burmistrov Thrash grab Vladdy
9. Minnesota - Mikael Granlund- Wild stick with Granlund
10. NY Rangers - Erik Gudbranson-Big, strong, skilled, he's Mcilrath but better!
11. Dallas - Jack Campbell-- Despite OHL struggles, Stars commited long term
12. Anaheim - Brandon Gormley- Having lost Fowler, Ducks need D- snag Gormley
13. Phoenix - Jaden Schwartz- With OEL, Goncharov, etc Yotes grab Parise-lite
14. St.Louis - Nino Niederreiter- Simply the BPA
15. Los Angeles - Derek Forbort- Lombo sticks with Forbort
16. St.Louis - Evgeny Kuznetsoz- Without Tarasenko, Blues nab other Russian
17. Colorado - Joey Hishon-Duchene's friend, still great pick for Aves
18. Nashville - Austin Watson- Preds stick with Watson
19. Florida - Nick Bjugstad-Cats like the big speedy forward and stay with him
20. Pittsburgh - Beau Bennett- Pens still like Beau's talented upside on the wing
21. Detroit - Jared Knight- Wings really come to like Knight and he jumps way up
22. Montreal - Charlie Coyle- They want more Max Pacs and take big young Forward
23. Buffalo - Quinton Howden- Decide if given a second choice they'd not take Pysyk
24. Chicago - Kevin Hayes- having traded for Jimmy Hayes, they keep bros together
25. Florida - Tyler Pitlick- Impresses Cats and is a riser
26. Washington - Curtis Hamilton- Having lost Kuz, Caps take Character and talent
27. Phoenix - Mark Visentin- Yotes thrilled to still get their goalie
28. San Jose - Jared Tinordi- Coyles gone, Sharks grab their own version of Regehr
29. Anaheim - Emerson Etem- Ducks stick with inline translating California kid
30. NY Islanders - Brock Nelson- Isles stick with Nelson
31. Edmonton - Calle Jarnkrok- Oil having lost Pitlick & Hamilron grab talented Swede
32. Boston - Ryan Spooner-Having already lost Knight, B's keep Spooner in the fold
33. Florida - Justin Faulk- W/ Pitlick & Bjugstad, Cats thrilled to tandem Fowler/Faulk
34. Columbus - Christian Thomas- Just like the long term scoring potential
35. Chicago - Ludvig Rensfeldt- Hawks stick with their pick
36. Florida - Riley Sheahan- Sheahan has been a faller, Cats cleaning up
37. Carolina - Jon Merrill- Pissed about losing Skinner and Faulk, Canes snag Merrill
39. Minnesota - Martin Marincin- Oiler lose another one. Marincin looking like real deal
40. Ny Rangers - Dylan McIlrath- Sather gets his D waaaay later. Silly 10th overall pick Slats
41. Dallas - Brad Ross-Thrilled to add another Steve Ott type. Burke is mad.
42. Anaheim - Devante Smith-Pelly- Ducks stick with Pick
43. Toronto - Dalton Smith- Leafs grab BPA, considering he fits in to a Leaf mold
44. St.Louis - Sebastien Wannstrom - Blues stick with Wannstrom

Don't be too harsh.....just my opinion...

Last edited:

malkovsby

Sep 4, 2009
BC
^^ haha was just about to post that before i looked..

i say gubranson at 3 moves fowler back to 12

gormley 13

kuznetsov 7

burmistrov 16

neidereitter 10

if it were the teams picking...

Last edited:

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
I'd still take Gudbransson at #3 over Fowler, Guds would also have made the NHL (bonus problem) and who knows what kind of season he would have. Much better defensively and a harder shot.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I would think Kuznetzov,Orlov and Hamilton would be higher. Campbell would not be pick in the top 30. Jared Knight rises? Why? Tinordi higher then McIlrath? not likely. You can make a case for Forbort ahead of him but not Tinordi. Dalton Smith? I think he would fall no offensive game. His teammate Toffoli would rise. Not sure what Bennett and Coyle have really done to rise up either

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
lol @ Nino falling to 14. Why because his poor WJCs? He already has more points than he did last year while playing 14 fewer games. Yeah I sound like a homer but Nino is a steal at 14

Handlanger

Mar 28, 2008
lol @ Nino falling to 14. Why because his poor WJCs? He already has more points than he did last year while playing 14 fewer games. Yeah I sound like a homer but Nino is a steal at 14

Nino actually has the highest Goals per Game percentage compared to the amount of games he played (less than most his opponents).

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I'd be interested to see what happens with Jeff Skinner, Tyler Seguin, and Cam Fowler. Those are clearly the next 3 after Hall, but in what order?

As a Bruins fan, I'd still stick with Seguin. I'm not sure Skinner will ever carry a team, and I think Seguin might be able to. I also like the fact that he's bigger and faster than Skinner. But you can't ignore the numbers Skinner has put up this year.

Fowler would be very hard to pass up, but, for a defenseman, he completely lacks physicality. Therefore, Seguin has the chance to be a more complete player in time.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I'd be interested to see what happens with Jeff Skinner, Tyler Seguin, and Cam Fowler. Those are clearly the next 3 after Hall, but in what order?

As a Bruins fan, I'd still stick with Seguin. I'm not sure Skinner will ever carry a team, and I think Seguin might be able to. I also like the fact that he's bigger and faster than Skinner. But you can't ignore the numbers Skinner has put up this year.

Fowler would be very hard to pass up, but, for a defenseman, he completely lacks physicality. Therefore, Seguin has the chance to be a more complete player in time.

How are those 3 CLEARLY the next 3 after Hall. Its one year removed from the draft. Most of the players haven't seen the NHL yet.

IHWR

The Chiropractor
Jul 25, 2006
Ottawa, ON
I would think Kuznetzov,Orlov and Hamilton would be higher. Campbell would not be pick in the top 30. Jared Knight rises? Why? Tinordi higher then McIlrath? not likely. You can make a case for Forbort ahead of him but not Tinordi. Dalton Smith? I think he would fall no offensive game. His teammate Toffoli would rise. Not sure what Bennett and Coyle have really done to rise up either

Orlov was 2009.

Temego

Mar 8, 2011
Who takes Pulkkinen?

People still dont seem to realize what kinda steal he is. 5th in FEL scoring on his rookie year (and he missed games during the WJC). I bet someone would grab him in the 44 first picks.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
There is NO WAY that McIlrath falls to 40. Sure, it was a bit of a stretch last year to take him 10th, but the kid was still a legit top 25 pick last season.

And after seeing him live a number of times this year, I really don't think it was that much of a reach at 10 anyways. The kid can dominate a game defensively and many WHL forwards say that McI is THE toughest defenseman to face on a regular basis.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I know, I know....Top 44...?? What a random amount.

Anyway, I got as far as 44 then got a headache and thought it was too difficult to figure out the rest....

So here's the idea.......this draft is based on my best guess of how the draft would go if NHL GM's were forced to redo it - today - right now - March 15th a little after midnight...

So, knowing what we know today....The GM's re-convene and get a 2nd crack at things....

1. Edmonton - Taylor Hall - I still think the Oil take Taylor, though Tyler isn't debated
2. Boston - Jeff Skinner- If the B's could do it over...how do you not grab Skinner3. Florida - Cam Fowler- knowing what we know now of CF's 18 yr old rookie yr
4. Columbus - Tyler Seguin- Jackets love Johansen, but can't pass on Seguin
5. NY Islanders - Ryan Johansen- Islanders are loving Johansen at 5
6. Tampa Bay - Brett Connolly- I say Stevie Y stays with Connolly
7. Carolina - Alexander Burmistrov-pissed about Skinner, Canes take Datsyuk-lite
8. Atlanta - Vladimir Tarasenko-Having lost Burmistrov Thrash grab Vladdy
9. Minnesota - Mikael Granlund- Wild stick with Granlund
10. NY Rangers - Erik Gudbranson-Big, strong, skilled, he's Mcilrath but better!
11. Dallas - Jack Campbell-- Despite OHL struggles, Stars commited long term
12. Anaheim - Brandon Gormley- Having lost Fowler, Ducks need D- snag Gormley
13. Phoenix - Jaden Schwartz- With OEL, Goncharov, etc Yotes grab Parise-lite
14. St.Louis - Nino Niederreiter- Simply the BPA
15. Los Angeles - Derek Forbort- Lombo sticks with Forbort
16. St.Louis - Evgeny Kuznetsoz- Without Tarasenko, Blues nab other Russian
17. Colorado - Joey Hishon-Duchene's friend, still great pick for Aves
18. Nashville - Austin Watson- Preds stick with Watson
19. Florida - Nick Bjugstad-Cats like the big speedy forward and stay with him
20. Pittsburgh - Beau Bennett- Pens still like Beau's talented upside on the wing
21. Detroit - Jared Knight- Wings really come to like Knight and he jumps way up
22. Montreal - Charlie Coyle- They want more Max Pacs and take big young Forward
23. Buffalo - Quinton Howden- Decide if given a second choice they'd not take Pysyk
24. Chicago - Kevin Hayes- having traded for Jimmy Hayes, they keep bros together
25. Florida - Tyler Pitlick- Impresses Cats and is a riser
26. Washington - Curtis Hamilton- Having lost Kuz, Caps take Character and talent
27. Phoenix - Mark Visentin- Yotes thrilled to still get their goalie
28. San Jose - Jared Tinordi- Coyles gone, Sharks grab their own version of Regehr
29. Anaheim - Emerson Etem- Ducks stick with inline translating California kid
30. NY Islanders - Brock Nelson- Isles stick with Nelson
31. Edmonton - Calle Jarnkrok- Oil having lost Pitlick & Hamilron grab talented Swede
32. Boston - Ryan Spooner-Having already lost Knight, B's keep Spooner in the fold
33. Florida - Justin Faulk- W/ Pitlick & Bjugstad, Cats thrilled to tandem Fowler/Faulk
34. Columbus - Christian Thomas- Just like the long term scoring potential
35. Chicago - Ludvig Rensfeldt- Hawks stick with their pick
36. Florida - Riley Sheahan- Sheahan has been a faller, Cats cleaning up
37. Carolina - Jon Merrill- Pissed about losing Skinner and Faulk, Canes snag Merrill
39. Minnesota - Martin Marincin- Oiler lose another one. Marincin looking like real deal
40. Ny Rangers - Dylan McIlrath- Sather gets his D waaaay later. Silly 10th overall pick Slats
41. Dallas - Brad Ross-Thrilled to add another Steve Ott type. Burke is mad.
42. Anaheim - Devante Smith-Pelly- Ducks stick with Pick
43. Toronto - Dalton Smith- Leafs grab BPA, considering he fits in to a Leaf mold
44. St.Louis - Sebastien Wannstrom - Blues stick with Wannstrom

Don't be too harsh.....just my opinion...

The only person I take over Seguin is Hall, still.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If Pitlick is gone at 31, Oilers take Marincin. During the draft the scouts had a huge deabte if they should take Pitlick or Marincin at 31. They wanted Marincin, but couldn't over-look that Pitlick was still there and shouldnt have been.

10 is way to far back for Gudbranson. If he's still there with the Islanders pick I say they take him and run.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
No Zucker? the kid is having a monster year in NCAA as a true freshman he belongs in the top 44

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I don't think Nino's stock has fallen that much, if at all. He certainly wouldn't have fallen quite that far. I also think Howden's impressed enough to move him into the top 20, and I agree that Pulkkinen and Toffoli should both be here, probably top 35.

Jonathan17

Trollface!
Nov 19, 2005
Oakville
There is NO WAY that McIlrath falls to 40. Sure, it was a bit of a stretch last year to take him 10th, but the kid was still a legit top 25 pick last season.

And after seeing him live a number of times this year, I really don't think it was that much of a reach at 10 anyways. The kid can dominate a game defensively and many WHL forwards say that McI is THE toughest defenseman to face on a regular basis.

Yeah, I don't really get why so many people seem down on McIlrath. He was picked 10th overall and two of the teams that traded back had provisions in the deals that if McIlrath was available, the deal was off. I think NHL teams valued McIlrath a lot more than he is given credit for.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
This list totally overrates initial impact. This is about long term impact. Diasgree about a whole lot here.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Also Wild were dumb for not trading down getting another pick and taking Bjugstad or even picking him at 9, watching him play he has all the tools just needs to put them together and then you throw in getting a chance to play for his favorite team.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
Yeah, I don't really get why so many people seem down on McIlrath. He was picked 10th overall and two of the teams that traded back had provisions in the deals that if McIlrath was available, the deal was off. I think NHL teams valued McIlrath a lot more than he is given credit for.

I love post-draft info like this. Where did you come across it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad