TSN: Muzzin/Martinez could be available for an upgrade to King's top 9

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
A team let in 20 goals in their first 4 games of the playoffs in 2014. Despite their defense being that much of a weakness they managed to win the cup just six weeks later. Can't remember which team it was....
Seriously wonder what your point is. Leafs arent anything close to that team.

That being said, Muzzin is a nice player and something this thread is lacking is his low $4M cap hit. Yet his play is way too inconsistant to be called a top pairing defenseman. Just watch the highlights vs Buffalo from last week, that's Muzzin.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Seriously wonder what your point is. Leafs arent anything close to that team.

My point was exactly what it claimed to be - a response to this quote: "Giving up 19 goals in 5 games makes your defense a weakness. I can not make it clearer then that. That is almost 4 goals a game I don't think any cup winning team has had that."

Lots of Stanley Cup winners have let in 19 goals or more over the course of 5 games during the season they won the Stanley Cup. The Penguins did it several times last year - once allowing 24 goals in 5 games. The Kings let in 20 goals in the first 4 games of the playoffs during their second SC run - despite having Doughty, Muzzin and Martinez.

It's almost like you can't assess a team's defense based on a 4 or 5 game stretch. And I understand that the Leafs are nothing like that Kings' team - unlike the King's team the Leafs won most of their games during their stretch and scored far more goals than they let in.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
As a Wings fan i would love to bring Alec Martinez home to Detroit maybe something around Nyquist and possibly AA if he were looking to move elsewhere. 4 more years at $4 million per for Martinez is a pretty good deal. Nyquist+AA for Martinez+ either pick or decent prospect.

This is the trade I'd make depending on the prospect. Which prospect would you be looking at?

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
My point was exactly what it claimed to be - a response to this quote: "Giving up 19 goals in 5 games makes your defense a weakness. I can not make it clearer then that. That is almost 4 goals a game I don't think any cup winning team has had that."

Lots of Stanley Cup winners have let in 19 goals or more over the course of 5 games during the season they won the Stanley Cup. The Penguins did it several times last year - once allowing 24 goals in 5 games. The Kings let in 20 goals in the first 4 games of the playoffs during their second SC run - despite having Doughty, Muzzin and Martinez.

It's almost like you can't assess a team's defense based on a 4 or 5 game stretch. And I understand that the Leafs are nothing like that Kings' team - unlike the King's team the Leafs won most of their games during their stretch and scored far more goals than they let in.
[MOD] so many goals against is not a good sign and you were comparing apples and oranges.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
How about Soderberg for just a pick. He's a distraction for the Avs locker room from my standpoint, but he's clearly not as bad as his numbers. Bednar seems to just not know how to use him. Could be that solid 2/3 center you're missing and he'd fit right into LA's defensively responsible culture.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Don't really know all that much about the Kings prospects? Depends but LA and Detroit would make good trading partners here and have heard that Holland has had interest in Martinez in the past.

I think both teams have the other teams needs, so we'd make good partners. I know I've always been on the Tatar train to LA but Detroit won't move him. He and Kopitar just have great chemistry on the ice.

But I definitely think Nyquist would add the skill LA needs too. AA would be great but his contract is up in the air but I think LA has the cap to get him signed.

Iafallo--Kopitar--Brown
Pearson--Carter--Toffoli
Gaborik--AA--Nyquist
Cammy--Shore--Lewis

Would be a great lineup

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Does AA play centre? I'd be more interested in Nyquist and Sheahan from Detroit.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
[MOD] so many goals against is not a good sign and you were comparing apples and oranges.

Sure, but I don't think that the goals against over a short period of time are any kind of sign. Freddie is a slow starter. He has done far better this year than last year, even though this year scoring has been up, and last year he turned out fine:

First 5 games 2016: 22 GA - .851 SV (1-1-3)
First 5 games of 2017: 19GA - .880 SV (4-1-0)

First 6 games of 2016: 24 GA - .866 SV (2-1-3)
First 6 games of 2017: 19GA - .899 SV (5-1-0)

Rest of the season he had a .923 SV which would have placed him 7th or 8th in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I think both teams have the other teams needs, so we'd make good partners. I know I've always been on the Tatar train to LA but Detroit won't move him. He and Kopitar just have great chemistry on the ice.

But I definitely think Nyquist would add the skill LA needs too. AA would be great but his contract is up in the air but I think LA has the cap to get him signed.

Iafallo--Kopitar--Brown
Pearson--Carter--Toffoli
Gaborik--AA--Nyquist
Cammy--Shore--Lewis

Would be a great lineup
Probably something in the neighborhood of Nyquist+Sheahan for Martinez would work and it still leaves close to $2.8 million to resign AA i think it helps both clubs here.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
1. Literally no Kings fan in this thread has mentioned anywhere near Marner and in fact some seem open to a Bozak+ or JVR+ package

2. What is the point of having legit top 9 forwards not playing when you can make a clear upgrade on your team weakness? Swapping JVR and Rosen/Borgman for Leivo and Muzzin doesn't make the team weaker, that's absolutely ridiculous.

3. There's still more they can do.
I'd do Bozak with a plus, probably not jvr though, unless he was for sure not re-signing or it was straight across jvr<-> Muzzin. I'm also higher on jvr and keeping him than other leaf fans on here and think he can be re-signed to a reasonable cap hit (8/36=4.5). Bozak + non roster player excluding Dermott Liljegren & Kapanen + a mid pick (SJ's 2/3rd) for muzzin would work for Toronto, but then you're looking at sliding Nylander full time to C mid season and putting Marner on Matthews wing. Would upgrade to a 1st if TML makes the finals.
Marleau-Matthews-Marner
JVR-Nylander-Kapanen
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Martin/Leivo-Fehr/Moore-Hyman

Muzzin-Rielly
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Carrick
Borgman-Rosen

Last edited:

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Why? Kings fans know he is not a top pairing D. He might have been at one point, but even they said he was poor last year and looking about the same this season as well.

Leafs don't need anyone unless it's an upgrade on the top pair. Maybe he replaces Hainsey, but this is a trade to look at maybe at the TDL if the team feels it needs an upgrade with a bigger sample size to evaluate the team.

Leafs defense is under rated on here.

Lol Muzzin has not looked poor. Last year yes this year no . He has 4 points in 5 games and close to 20 shots and 20 hits while playing 20+ minutes a night. Muzzin is the reason why we are winning. He has been getting shots thru the point on net consistently and has been a consistent 30-40 point defenseman. This year I'll wager he gets 40+ . On Toronto possibly 50+.

Kings fans are just talking blind about how good Muzzin is because they want to make it seem like the organization will have a legit reason to trade Muzzin. If we trade Muzzin we are worse off. I wouldn't trade Martinez or Muzzin. Teams don't know how good they are.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
There's one thing forgotten to be mentioned in the original post and mentioned throughout the responses. Jon Rosen lakingsinsider mentioned that the Kings have talked internally about moving one of Muzzin or Martinez but only if Voynov returns next year or one of the youngsters take a big step forward. But apparently we are trying to bring Voynov back next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad