TSN: Muzzin/Martinez could be available for an upgrade to King's top 9

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I kind of like the framework for either Martinez for Devin Shore+ or Hartman+ Depends on their next deals.

A Tavares deal could get ridiculously complicated, though awesome. An extension would need to be agreed upon, and the cost for the privilege paid for by the Kings. Gaborik would probably also need to be included for future salary cap implications. That's what the Kings need, how much the Isles want I won't even guess.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
When I read this, I immediately disregard their opinion on the Leafs. This is classic HFism, where the general HF opinion is touted for months or seasons after it is not longer true.

I do not understand how people think the Leafs defense is a tire fire, nor that they need "defense". They have defense, and good pieces from #2 - #10. If there is one hole, it is an elite #1 D.

Muzzin is not better than Gardiner, and Zaitsev has been better since last season as well. If Rielly continues to play as he has with Hainsey, I don't see how you could say that either.

Honestly, the post just wreaks of ignorance about the Leafs situation.

Certainly not possible that you're biased because you watch Gardiner, Rielly, Zaitsev like 3 times a week but Muzzin maybe 3 or 4 times a year, right?

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
He was a train wreck last year. Also, everyone on a good team looks good.

For example, nobody on the Leafs has below a 50% CF right now even though some of them have been terrible their numbers look good. I'd have to check Muzzin's numbers relative to his team but it's hard to draw a conclusion on anything 5-6 games into the season. For the early part of the season, it's best to use numbers from last season.

Actually the Kings coach Stevens (which was the Dman coach last couple of years) came out and said that Muzzin was trying to do too much. Being put on team Canada for the WCH made Muzzin try to play over his head to prove that he should have made the team without doubt. But it just made his play worse because he was putting himself in bad spots with positioning and turnovers. He actually started to play better at the end of the season when he was put with LaDue because he couldn't be so free to move in the play like he was with Martinez. He couldn't hang the rookie out to dry which settled his game.

He looks great to start the season. Back to his old ways. Definitely a #2 Dman

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
James VanRiemsdyk, Andrew Nielson, 2nd for Jake Muzzin

JVR - Carter - ____ would be a lethal 2nd line

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
I've been a fan of Martinez for years and he's signed for another three years at $4 million per. I'm also starting to believe that the odds of JT signing with the Isles are rapidly going away and one of our HF posters believes he has his sights set on Los Angeles for family reasons.

What is it worth to LA to offer for JT now to give them plenty of time to negotiate an extension? And what would you offer if you could pre-negotiate and sign him to an extension? It doesn't look like your prospect pool is all that good so how do you proceed if you are LA's GM? I might even be willing to offer JT and DeHaan together so come up with an offer for the two of them also.

I think a deal for Martinez could be worked out with the Islanders. I just don't think a JT deal can be. The Kings don't have the assets to make a deal and with him about to be a UFA soon it would suck if he didn't resign. No matter what people think he's leaning too. It would be the same stuff as Kings fans get with Doughty. Not worth it. If you want a proposal I can give you a shitty one but JT is worth more and would get more.

Muzzin/Martinez + Kempe +1st + B-level prospect

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
As a Wings fan i would love to bring Alec Martinez home to Detroit maybe something around Nyquist and possibly AA if he were looking to move elsewhere. 4 more years at $4 million per for Martinez is a pretty good deal. Nyquist+AA for Martinez+ either pick or decent prospect.

Reactions: Kingspiracy

member 88115

It was kind of implied with your statement but okay. The thing is he would only push out Hainsey as Zaitsev and Gardiner look like a solid pairing and shouldn't be split up. That doesn't mean he is worse than either player just they have good chemistry.

There are other factors to LA being a good defensive team such as bonafide number 1 defender, very good starting goalie, defensively responsible forwards, system etc.

Leafs have been really bad in giving away penalties and Andersen started the year poorly. Those are big factors in the leafs poor GAA.

Question, was Muzzin playing on the top pairing last year and that's why he had a down year. I'm curious.

With all that being said I would love to have him on the leafs if the price is right. Easily would do JVR++.
This is going to be Muzzin 3rd year on the second pairing (since we lost Voynot). Last year was terrible year for a lot of players in LA. Not only has Muzzin been better, but so has Kopitar, Brown & Quick (did not look that good once he came back from injury. At the moment Muzzin is averaging 23:31 ice time per game and is considered the leader of the pairing.

To me, Muzzin is not available because we have no one to replace him. On top of that, we would not trade him for a UFA, so JVR is a non-starter. If he was available, we would want someone younger if its ford winger. I saw the TSN clip and it seemed more like speculation from Lebrun, rather than an inside source

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Eh I think you're really undervaluing either Leivo, Liljegren or both. Leivo, Neilsen and a 1st I think would be a little closer, maybe another small add by Toronto
No i am valuing Muzzin more then you are. He is a top pairing defense man which most leaf fans under value. I like Liljegren more then any of them pieces. Kings need a right handed defense prospect and he fits the bill. The leafs don't really have the right fit for a forward imo thats why the extra piece As i said i don't see the fair value.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
No i am valuing Muzzin more then you are. He is a top pairing defense man which most leaf fans under value. I like Liljegren more then any of them pieces. Kings need a right handed defense prospect and he fits the bill. The leafs don't really have the right fit for a forward imo thats why the extra piece As i said i don't see the fair value.
If we are going to pay that much for Muzzin we are better to offer Marner+Liljegren for Doughty

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

Look at the Hamonic return though, a bit worse but also a bit younger, so I'd say Muzzin has marginally more value than him. Hamonic returned a 1st + 2 2nds, Liljegren is worth more than anything in that deal.

I like Muzzin, but he's not returning a top RHD prospect, young forward with top six upside and a first.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Look at the Hamonic return though, a bit worse but also a bit younger, so I'd say Muzzin has marginally more value than him. Hamonic returned a 1st + 2 2nds, Liljegren is worth more than anything in that deal.

I like Muzzin, but he's not returning a top RHD prospect, young forward with top six upside and a first.
Which is fine. Its not like we have to trade him. We have other options to increase our bottom 6 scoring inside the organization. Gaborik coming back will help more then people realize.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Giving up 19 goals in 5 games makes your defense a weakness. I can not make it clearer then that. That is almost 4 goals a game I don't think any cup winning team has had that.

A team let in 20 goals in their first 4 games of the playoffs in 2014. Despite their defense being that much of a weakness they managed to win the cup just six weeks later. Can't remember which team it was....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad