Post-Game Talk: Mustard Kittens 2 - Pooped Jets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
My only beef with Stanley is his insertion into the lineup comes at the cost of somebody better being out. If he were better than everybody else, I'd have no issue with him being in the lineup. It's that simple. Samberg has shown in his smaller NHL resume that he is a better defender and a more agile skater.
Samberg is also a better skater than Pionk, Dillon, and Demelo - and a better defender than Pionk and Smitty -
I don't think he is any better than Stan at defending - they just have differing strenghts.

If I were to break it down between the two of them:
Stan is a lot more poised out there when defending - he doesn't run around and his outlets are smart and on target - Samberg will get caught running around at times and his outlets are often rushed and stressed - especially if it's busy back there.
Samberg is quicker so he can get to loose pucks faster. Stan is probably better at stopping the cycle - just with his size.
They both are physical at Jets standards - they take the man and can hit - I don't see one being much better than the next.
They both can manage plays on the boards and net front as good as anyone on the team (other than you know who) -
As far as up and down speed goes, they can both get up and down the ice with decent speed - both are faster than Pionk, Smitty or Demelo. But Stan won't look at pretty doing it - but he can go. Samberg has much better mechanics
Backing in is Stan's weakness - he doesn't make the turn as well and that's his height being a disadvantage - he's not agile.
But then again, if you are watching Pionk, he's as bad or worse. Smitty isn't much better. Demelo gets caught a lot too - his turns are OK, but he's as slow as slow gets as a dman when he's backing in. Samberg is OK - and getting better.
Stan has a pretty good stick - and he's using it more now than he has in the past - probably coaching. His wing span makes it tough to beat him one on one - as long as he leaves some gap - and he can with that wingspan - coaching is helping him here for sure - the learning will continue despite how long he has been around.
Samberg has better gap and uses it more - I like how he defends backing in and think he is one of the better dmen on the team in that regard.

If we want to, we can drill holes in most of our D - other than JoMo, they all have problems.
Stan gets a lot of fan attention because he's been around longer and the others are still getting the benefit of the doubt as far as their ceiling is perceived.
Many see him as peaked or close to it - when he makes a mistake, it is heard around the world - but when you reflect, he has shown gradual improvement (w/ last year being an outlier due to the teams over all performance).

What is obvious is that the org is not prepared to give up on him and likely see the improvements - he appears to be worth the time and energy they are putting into him (and patience) as far as they are concerned.
Then again, he could be part of a package on is way out tomorrow - but so could any of the guys battling for that last spot.

I will admit, I'm a self professed Stan fan - I like his attitude, work ethic, and team spirit - and he's a guy that is worth the time IMO.
I also think that if he was as bad as some of the feedback he gets, he would have been long gone by now.
Apologies in advance for the long winded take

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Stanley in his maybe 3rd or 4th season has been ok. Samberg has been ok his 1st real season. Heinola flopped it appears. Ville Niku

I'd move pionk out too. You don't need both him and nate and nate appears to be playing well under bones. And can play well with our others. Pionk plays like crap with everyone

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Wonder if they should try Cole for someone. Also if they did who? I’m guessing Ehlers or Schief. As Pld is the net front. Connor the sniper. Mo the D.

Please do not take 27 off PP1 after trying to get him on it for years
Also Scheif is too good to take off IMO
I'd leave Perfetti on PP2 until either someone leaves or is injured, or possibly if PLD stops producing

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Please do not take 27 off PP1 after trying to get him on it for years
Also Scheif is too good to take off IMO
I'd leave Perfetti on PP2 until either someone leaves or is injured, or possibly if PLD stops producing
But what is 27s role. The pp has been struggling lately. 81 is the sniper, 44 is the d. 81 is the net presence. 55 is the second scoring option. What does 27 add other than zone entry when you could replace him with a playmaker.
Meanwhile the 2nd unit doesn’t have a sniper when they do go out. It would give him the green light to shoot whenever he wants.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
But what is 27s role. The pp has been struggling lately. 81 is the sniper, 44 is the d. 81 is the net presence. 55 is the second scoring option. What does 27 add other than zone entry when you could replace him with a playmaker.
Meanwhile the 2nd unit doesn’t have a sniper when they do go out. It would give him the green light to shoot whenever he wants.

27 can also be a playmaker or a sniper as needed, plus zone entry and creativity
Put 81 on PP2 if you want a sniper (also a mistake IMO) but I feel like Ehlers deserves some PP1 time after all these years to show what he can do

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
Wonder if they should try Cole for someone. Also if they did who? I’m guessing Ehlers or Schief. As Pld is the net front. Connor the sniper. Mo the D.
Scheif has the most goals (and most PP goals) on the team. Aside from that, he plays the most dynamic role on the PP in retrieving and distributing pucks as well as shooting. He is the last guy I would take off.

You could take off Ehlers, but I don't see how Perfetti improves anything. He isn't strong enough on the puck or fast enough to escape if challenged.

I think they have the right personnel. They just need to work on greater mobility around the perimeter to break down slot coverage and open up passing lanes. Ehlers is already helping with this to my eye. It might just be a case of tweaking his positioning and working on integrating Connor and Morrisey into the upper cycle.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
i mean he should be. it's not like it's high competition b/w him & Gus.
I liked what David Gustafsson brought to the team. His defensive awareness is very high, a lot of opposing chances die because he positions himself so well. I think he skates the ice better than Stenlund. I think he's probably one of the best PK options on the whole team. But -4 in his last 7 games, 0 goals for the season, and some struggles on the draw, and I am not sure what his future is now.

The best defensive metrics in terms of GA/60 you can get out of that group of forwards consist of Maenalaen, Gustafsson, and either Barrron or Stenlund (between 1.6 and 2.2, Perfetti is the only one in the top 6 in that range, at 2.1). AJF isn't far behind, but his GF/GA ratio ES is the most negative of that group. All have good PK metrics too. All have a GF/60 of 1.7 or 1.8 ES, so there's not usually scoring on either side of the puck, but strong PK work is the common thread. Jansen Harkins has a lower GA/60 than any of them, but he doesn't seem to be coming back, at least there wouldn't be room for him now without demoting someone else.

Out of the 6 forwards I would consider battling for bottom six, which includes Kuhlman, and likely 4th line positions, Stenlund is probably in the safest spot because no one is as strong on the draw especially as a RHC. And that's earned him some trust from his coach and some defensive zone responsibility. But that could change rather quickly.

Barron to me seems like Adam Lowry's apprentice this year, there's definitely a lot of communication between the two on the bench. Unlikely he stays in the top 9 though if the scoring drought for both he and Lowry continue. Not sure how much difference Mason Appleton would make but we should find out before the trade deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad