Mustang thread

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Thinking about this at length, it might be done the way the last Ford GT will be: presold to a select group of elite clients and never actually available to the public.

Unlike the new Ford GT they'll make this street-legal...but it's not like they're going to be driven like they're meant to be anyways.

Last edited:

MikeFolignosHelmet

Fan of the game
Sponsor
Dec 24, 2018
Banner Elk, NC
Tropical storm rain this morning (and bald tires) send this local Mustang.to the junkyard.

1000004863.jpg

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I get wanting a V8 in a car like the Mustang but the Ecoboost manual Mustangs are pretty fun and still offer adequate power.

It's the exhaust note. The sound of your engine/exhaust adds to the enjoyment significantly.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
lol you can't really use more than 300 hp on the roads in a responsible manner, hence all the braindead Mustang GT owners crashing at Cars and Coffee events.

If you actually want to learn how to drive, take your car to the occasional track day, get the Coyote especially if you have the money.

I have over 300hp and get gapped effortlessly by people with much more power. Has nothing to do with excessive speeding.

Let's say you never go more than 20 over, acceleration still exists...you can have a lot more fun in 500-600hp than 300-400hp.

Another thing is AWD. I have a RWD with performance tires and even widened my rears. I barely spin when launching in dry spring,summer, and fall...but add rain or snow or cold and I can get gapped by a Honda CRV with half the horse power.

It seems like today to have fun all year round in Canada, you would want something like a BMW M, Audi RS, or Mercedes Benz AMG and get a tune to add 100hp and you'll be set. Maybe an aftermarket exhaust for a better sound, though they sound nice stock.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
I have over 300hp and get gapped effortlessly by people with much more power. Has nothing to do with excessive speeding.

Let's say you never go more than 20 over, acceleration still exists...you can have a lot more fun in 500-600hp than 300-400hp.

Another thing is AWD. I have a RWD with performance tires and even widened my rears. I barely spin when launching in dry spring,summer, and fall...but add rain or snow or cold and I can get gapped by a Honda CRV with half the horse power.

It seems like today to have fun all year round in Canada, you would want something like a BMW M, Audi RS, or Mercedes Benz AMG and get a tune to add 100hp and you'll be set. Maybe an aftermarket exhaust for a better sound, though they sound nice stock.
If you get a BMW M car you're going to be spending most of your time in the shop anyways so I don't know about "all year round"

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
If you get a BMW M car you're going to be spending most of your time in the shop anyways so I don't know about "all year round"

I guess it depends on luck of the draw...but also on maintenance.

I agree their reliability is not the greatest and their parts are expensive.

What other options are there for 400+hp AWD cars that have a turbo that can gain a lot of power with a tune?

Not many companies make performance models anymore.

I give Hyundai props for coming out with the N cars, but even those are all FWD little 4 bangers with under 300hp. Fun, sure, but not exactly the same.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021

What other options are there for 400+hp AWD cars that have a turbo that can gain a lot of power with a tune?

I give Hyundai props for coming out with the N cars, but even those are all FWD little 4 bangers with under 300hp. Fun, sure, but not exactly the same.
Sorry, you lost me right here.

You might as well get an EV if you're willing to put a sock in your induction and exhaust noises proverbial mouth with turbos. I'm very biased here though; I hate turbos.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Sorry, you lost me right here.

You might as well get an EV if you're willing to put a sock in your induction and exhaust noises proverbial mouth with turbos. I'm very biased here though; I hate turbos.

I saw that.

I drive a N/A.

It's just almost everyone who has a turbo for a few hundred bucks can add a decent % to their power.

What can I do?

Sure, you're argument would be to originally buy something with adequate power, but this was my first car and I don't want massive car payments...and you always get used to your power and want more. 300+ may have been enough in my 20s...but in my 30s, I'm often like "let's gooooo" unless im launching it and redlining it.

I've widened my tires.
I've put small spacers/adapters to make my wheels more flush (rims coming soon)
I've gotten a whole new catback exhaust.
I've gotten a short throw shift kit.
No aftermarket intake provided a power increase over stock.
Like, headers and cams are all I can do and that's expensive.

This is where having a turbo comes with a lot of cheap effective upgrades.

I also don't see the comparison to an EV lol. An EV is quiet. Plenty of sweet sounding turbo cars. Also EV is one gear. No manual. I don't see the comparison at all

MikeFolignosHelmet

Fan of the game
Sponsor
Dec 24, 2018
Banner Elk, NC
My favorite Mustang of all time with my favorite color and interior, 1969 Mach 1 Super Cobra Jet in Black Jade with white interior. There is one for sale right now, but I don't have the garage space for it or she would be mine.

scj.jpg

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
I saw that.

I drive a N/A.

It's just almost everyone who has a turbo for a few hundred bucks can add a decent % to their power.

What can I do?

Sure, you're argument would be to originally buy something with adequate power, but this was my first car and I don't want massive car payments...and you always get used to your power and want more. 300+ may have been enough in my 20s...but in my 30s, I'm often like "let's gooooo" unless im launching it and redlining it.

I've widened my tires.
I've put small spacers/adapters to make my wheels more flush (rims coming soon)
I've gotten a whole new catback exhaust.
I've gotten a short throw shift kit.
No aftermarket intake provided a power increase over stock.
Like, headers and cams are all I can do and that's expensive.

This is where having a turbo comes with a lot of cheap effective upgrades.

I also don't see the comparison to an EV lol. An EV is quiet. Plenty of sweet sounding turbo cars. Also EV is one gear. No manual. I don't see the comparison at all
Forgive my ignorance but which turbo cars are these?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Forgive my ignorance but which turbo cars are these?

What do you mean?

Turbo cars that can add a lot of HP with a few hundred bucks on a tune? Almost any. It does depend on the car. Im on a Hyundai FB group, and there are a couple shop owners that will do tunes for your car and they can boost the HP and torque by like 20-40 for a few hundred bucks. So like velosters and elantras and sonatas and konas. They all come with turbo options and with the N version of their cars, they're getting quite the following.

Where as with my N/A car, I'm going to have to spend a lot more than a few hundred bucks to gain 20-40HP.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
What do you mean?

Turbo cars that can add a lot of HP with a few hundred bucks on a tune? Almost any. It does depend on the car. Im on a Hyundai FB group, and there are a couple shop owners that will do tunes for your car and they can boost the HP and torque by like 20-40 for a few hundred bucks. So like velosters and elantras and sonatas and konas. They all come with turbo options and with the N version of their cars, they're getting quite the following.

Where as with my N/A car, I'm going to have to spend a lot more than a few hundred bucks to gain 20-40HP.
I'm not talking about power, I'm talking about sound which is what i bolded in my response. Im asking you which turbo cars sound good, because you implied there are many and I'm pleading ignorance here.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I'm not talking about power, I'm talking about sound which is what i bolded in my response. Im asking you which turbo cars sound good, because you implied there are many and I'm pleading ignorance here.

I guess it depends on if you like the sound of a blow off valve. I find that "pshhh" every time you let off the gas kind of cool. My buddy had an rx7 that sounded so cool with the conbo of a high revving engine with a loud blow off valve.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

M cars and AMG cars are a PIA to maintain. They need to be consistently driven hard, and that's difficult in North America with speed limits being what they are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad