Post-Game Talk: Musik

3 Stars

• Total voters

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Yup. Just need .920-.925 Shesterkin.

By the way, and this surprised me, but last year’s HDCA was about 4.9 a game at ES for Shesterkin games. This year it’s 4.4 and his HDCA sv % is higher than last year. So all the extra goals are coming from the PP and also from non-high danger. He’s let in a lot of softies. Not absolving the team defense here, but it’s clear Igor is also in a big time rut.
Informative post.

Igor is not our biggest problem but he's definitely a piece of the puzzle this season.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Imo the rift is two fold;

Trouba wanted Copp back and is pissed at Drury is who he was referring to.
Trouba expected a few of those guys back.

Trouba thinks Panarin - Ziba are soft frauds and Kreider is shielding them.

There’s your divide .
you might be right here... what do you mean by the bolded...

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Schneider's goal was a full screen with the shot perfectly placed and nothing Binnington can really do, yes a bad angle, but that's why you screen the goalie. The tips (Laf and Trocek) were not his fault either. Even the Laf tip, shot was going far side, Binnington doesn't even overextend but he does need to keep his pads open 3 inches to ensure full coverage of the far side post where the shot was heading, and Laf's tip (puck luck) finds it's way into the 3 inch opening 5 hole. CK's goal is a breakaway and he lifted the backhand so not such a bad goal. A bad breakaway goal is the one handed 5 hole poke breakway by Hughes against Igor last week, backbreaker. Miller's was definitely a crappy goal to give up. All in all not a great performance by Binnington, but not a complete stinker some are making it out to be to minimize our goals scored.

I think the bigger issue for St Louis is the one the Rangers have been struggling with...they allowed those shots to get through and for players to make tips in spots where it hurts the most. Other teams have done a good job clogging that middle so shots just don't get through

Reactions: romba

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I think the Rangers should realize that they can’t pull off the dangles and fancy tape to tape passes anymore. The zone entries never work when they try to stick handle, carry it in.

Look how the power play is struggling bc they think they can still pull it off. The chemistry, confidence just isnt there right now. Also I‘ve pointed this out a number of times but the communication issues are blaring. They over think and over complicate their game.

I want to see some dumping and chasing. The faster they accept that they have to be a dirty, grind it out, crash the net team but play a back to basics smart hockey game the faster we’ll see more goals and wins.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
they need to figure out how to score off the rush more. they get barely any odd man rushes anymore. last years team was an odd man rush machine. they were really lucky that Binnington was so bad last night.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

FUZfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2018
That was a "stop the bleeding" win last night. Let's hope they can build off it.

I liked the Kreider, Goodrow, Vesey line in the third.

Reactions: leetch99

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I think the Rangers should realize that they can’t pull off the dangles and fancy tape to tape passes anymore. The zone entries never work when they try to stick handle, carry it in.

Look how the power play is struggling bc they think they can still pull it off. The chemistry, confidence just isnt there right now. Also I‘ve pointed this out a number of times but the communication issues are blaring. They over think and over complicate their game.

I want to see some dumping and chasing. The faster they accept that they have to be a dirty, grind it out, crash the net team but play a back to basics smart hockey game the faster we’ll see more goals and wins.
What individuals on this team would thrive in a dump and chase and greasy goal offense? Because aside from trocheck and ck I dont see much there.
Kakko and laf are not designed to be those types of guys (theyre doing it because gallant wants them to, not because they thrive that way).
Panarin isn't that guy, mika isnt that guy.

Dump and chase hockey doesn't work very well anymore unless you consistently force turnovers. Defensemen can skate and puck handle alot better now than they could in 1994. So all you do is lose posession 95% of the time with a dump and chase, unless you're faster than they are, or big enough to force a fumble.

The rangers are absolutely more of a carry in, and keep it deep team using a cycle or boards.

That was a "stop the bleeding" win last night. Let's hope they can build off it.

I liked the Kreider, Goodrow, Vesey line in the third.
Getting either trocheck or chytil on that line will make it even better. Goodrow kills so many posessions.

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
I meant this:

"Trouba wanted Copp back and is pissed at Drury is who he was referring to."

what did he say in that interview that made you believe this?

thx
They are childhood friends

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
What individuals on this team would thrive in a dump and chase and greasy goal offense? Because aside from trocheck and ck I dont see much there.
Kakko and laf are not designed to be those types of guys (theyre doing it because gallant wants them to, not because they thrive that way).
Panarin isn't that guy, mika isnt that guy.

Dump and chase hockey doesn't work very well anymore unless you consistently force turnovers. Defensemen can skate and puck handle alot better now than they could in 1994. So all you do is lose posession 95% of the time with a dump and chase, unless you're faster than they are, or big enough to force a fumble.

The rangers are absolutely more of a carry in, and keep it deep team using a cycle or boards.

I honestly think Laff would excel at. Laff with the chase and Kakko can compliment it with cycling. But I never see them really try. And I know Laff needs to take some power skating clinics with a weighted backpack.

They already lose possession. Time and time again we’ve seen them attempt to carry it in and be denied. It just not working.

Last night (even though the Blues are trash) was a good example on them switching up their style in the third and just playing a little more simple.

I just want them to switch it up because their strengths have been anything but this season.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
dump and chase and carry it on both require the team to be working together in order to be effective. Neither one works well if it's a bunch of out of sync individuals.

if you're dumping it in then it needs to be timed so you or your teammates can get in and retrieve the puck or disrupt the breakout before the other team transitions back up the ice. if you're always dumping it in with your teammates standing still at the blueline it's not gonna work very well.

same with carrying it in though, if you're carrying it in and end up isolated with nowhere to put the puck then you'll just get walled off and have the puck taken away.

the rangers haven't been attacking well as a 5 man unit lately which is a huge part of their problem and just one style or another isn't going to fix it, but figuring out how to make those styles work

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I honestly think Laff would excel at. Laff with the chase and Kakko can compliment it with cycling. But I never see them really try. And I know Laff needs to take some power skating clinics with a weighted backpack.

They already lose possession. Time and time again we’ve seen them attempt to carry it in and be denied. It just not working.

Last night (even though the Blues are trash) was a good example on them switching up their style in the third and just playing a little more simple.

I just want them to switch it up because their strengths have been anything but this season.
It’s interesting, Laf doesn’t have great acceleration but he’s not slow, so he needs to be moving from the red line to get in fast enough.

Reactions: Cmox

Deleted member 23124

I think a lot of this is due to the fact that teams are more than prepared for the Rangers.....if we could see that they only have a Plan A, I'm sure the rest of the league could as well. As a result, opposing teams now have sticks in the passing lanes, clogging the neutral zone. Yet, the Rangers have continued trying to force the issue.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Shesterkin is now 17th in Goals Saved Above Expected. With a 4.5.

Last year he was first and no one was even close to him.

This is where the lack of confidence from the whole team started and snowballed.

And halak isn’t even on the planet. Hovering around 53rd

The goaltending needs to be there for this thing to turn around. The leads need to be held. We’re easily 6-8 pts better if we hold some leads alone. People think I expect another 940 season from shesterkin. I don’t. But what were getting now is garbage
Definitely and he was again shaky last night but the fact that team was able to prop him the win scoring more goals should give HIM some confidence to build upon.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Definitely and he was again shaky last night but the fact that team was able to prop him the win scoring more goals should give HIM some confidence to build upon.

In a weird way I think its good for the team to have Igor struggling. They took their foot off the gas a lot last year and the start of this year when they had a lead because they were reliant on Igor shutting the other team down.

If Igor is giving up some softies, it will hopefully teach the Rangers to actually keep playing the whole game, which is a foreign concept to them

Deleted member 23124

In a weird way I think its good for the team to have Igor struggling. They took their foot off the gas a lot last year and the start of this year when they had a lead because they were reliant on Igor shutting the other team down.

If Igor is giving up some softies, it will hopefully teach the Rangers to actually keep playing the whole game, which is a foreign concept to them
Didn't work when Henrik was here....

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Informative post.

Igor is not our biggest problem but he's definitely a piece of the puzzle this season.
Not one aspect of this team can be absolved of blame for this poor year so far. 5 on 5 offense is still a problem and can't score, PP isn't clicking, defensive coverage is still awful with so many open looks for opposing teams in high danger areas, goaltending has been average at best and some would say below average, and Gallant is totally clueless as to what to do. His systems and line combinations deserve a ton of criticism. The only positive from this season is that they are lucky other teams have struggled and they still have a chance to make the playoffs. A few more weeks of lousy play and it's over though.

BlueShirtGal

It's Hurricane season!
May 19, 2014
Federal Way, WA
LOL

Attachments

• BD050D7B-5AD4-4F23-A731-CE7E73E8B335.jpeg
    BD050D7B-5AD4-4F23-A731-CE7E73E8B335.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 2

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
dump and chase and carry it on both require the team to be working together in order to be effective. Neither one works well if it's a bunch of out of sync individuals.

if you're dumping it in then it needs to be timed so you or your teammates can get in and retrieve the puck or disrupt the breakout before the other team transitions back up the ice. if you're always dumping it in with your teammates standing still at the blueline it's not gonna work very well.

same with carrying it in though, if you're carrying it in and end up isolated with nowhere to put the puck then you'll just get walled off and have the puck taken away.

the rangers haven't been attacking well as a 5 man unit lately which is a huge part of their problem and just one style or another isn't going to fix it, but figuring out how to make those styles work
Yep. Team has talent but that’s meaningless when the first option is pat-a-cake hockey. Opponents will put their sticks on the ice and break up all the fancy passing, eventually.
The key is to lead with the ugly hockey and then go fancy when the defense breaks down. This team has been going at it ass-backward for most of the season. Yesterday was encouraging though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot