OT: Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Anyone else go and see Sabbath yesterday at Bell centre? They were killer

Still remember the first time I saw Ozzy at BC place he came out did two songs then Goodbye to Romance he walked off the stage and they did like a 15 minute Goodbye to Romance jam and then turned up the lights...goodtimes

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
George Martin passed away yesterday. Talk about a giant of the music industry, the infamous "5th Beatle".

Here's a tribute from Paul McCartney, where he adds this:

I am proud to have known such a fine gentleman with such a keen sense of humour, who had the ability to poke fun at himself. Even when he was Knighted by the Queen there was never the slightest trace of snobbery about him.

http://www.paulmccartney.com/news-blogs/news/paul-mccartney-on-george-martin

So refreshing to hear in this era of blatant ego-centrism defined by clicks, views and how many followers one has on several media platforms. Martin remained down to earth despite all the success he had. Props and respect to the man. RIP.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
CdmeSmDWEAEQvWF.jpg

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just listening to School of Seven Bells' new album. It's a keeper.

Don't know anything about them. Randomly tried a cut, sounded a little like Anya.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
"Frankenstein" by The Edgar Winter Group

A little retro clip about a song from the early 70s, but that always found its way to FM rock stations beyond its prime. "Frankenstein" by The Edgar Winter Group is a staple of creativity and its own unique genre and one of my all-time favorites. Enjoy.

Top user comment for this clip:

There is everything you want in this video. Wild haircuts, weird and too small clothes, strange sounds, a lot of drugs I imagine and it's set in a freaking garage ! I bet people would call the police nowadays if something like this happened !

Edgar Winter still rocking it in circa 2006, with the same song and Sheila E. on drums:

Interesting footnote about the song's origins and how it impacted the market:

"Frankenstein" is a rock instrumental by The Edgar Winter Group from their album They Only Come Out At Night. In live performances of the song, Edgar Winter further pioneered the advancement of the synthesizer as a lead instrument by becoming the first person ever to strap a keyboard instrument around his neck, giving him the on-stage mobility and audience interaction of guitar players. The song topped the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart for a week starting in May 1973, and sold over one million copies. It was knocked from the #1 spot by Paul McCartney's "My Love". Frankenstein reached #18 in the UK the following month.

The song's title, coined by the band's drummer Chuck Ruff, derives from the fact that the original recording of the song was much longer than the final version, as the band would often deviate from the arrangement into less structured jams. The track required numerous edits to shorten it. The end result was pieced together from many different sections of recording tape using a razor blade and splicing tape. Winter frequently refers to the appropriateness of the name also in relation to its "monster-like, lumbering beat". (One riff was first used by Winter in the song "Hung Up", on his jazz-oriented first album Entrance. He later tried a variation on it, "Martians" on the Standing on Rock album.) Winter played many of the instruments on the track, including keyboards, saxophone and timbales. As the release's only instrumental cut, the song was not initially intended to be on the album, and was only included on a whim as a last-minute addition. It was originally released as the B-side to "Hangin' Around", but the two were soon reversed by the label when disc jockeys nationwide were inundated with phone calls and realized this was the hit. The song features a "double" drum solo, with Ruff on drums and Winter on percussion. In fact, the working title of the song was "The Double Drum Solo".

The song was actually performed three years previously when Edgar was playing with his older brother Johnny Winter at the Royal Albert Hall in 1970. This rare recording was recently released as one of several live bonus tracks included in the two disc Deluxe Edition CD of Johnny Winter's Second Winter.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Don't know anything about them. Randomly tried a cut, sounded a little like Anya.
New album is number one on heatseeker chart. Lots of variation on it. Try the track: Ablaze.

I hadn't heard of them before but they've been big on the indy scene for years. It was a woman/man duo. They were former lovers and their romantic relationship broke up but they continued the musical partnership. He got cancer in 2013 and died the same year. He wrote and performed on parts of the album and this is sort of her tribute to him. It's been in production for close to two years.

Some of it is very poppy and would be right at home on the top 40. Other tracks are more indy rock. Ablaze is probably my favourite on the album. Worth a listen anyway.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
New album is number one on heatseeker chart. Lots of variation on it. Try the track: Ablaze.

I hadn't heard of them before but they've been big on the indy scene for years. It was a woman/man duo. They were former lovers and their romantic relationship broke up but they continued the musical partnership. He got cancer in 2013 and died the same year. He wrote and performed on parts of the album and this is sort of her tribute to him. It's been in production for close to two years.

Some of it is very poppy and would be right at home on the top 40. Other tracks are more indy rock. Ablaze is probably my favourite on the album. Worth a listen anyway.

Thanks for sharing. Interesting backdrop to the album, am always interested in the particular motivations behind an artistic project. Just listened to Ablaze, it has a compelling melodic quality, I like the singing voice, very smooth.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What is it with all this rock legends passing away this year?

Keith Emerson of ELP fame died on Friday, but not of natural causes. Another dark day for an industry with a long list of self-inflicted fatal tragedies. RIP.

There was a Montreal connection for ELP, that mega concert they performed at the Big O in 1977. Sound was apparently not that great based on accounts from people who attended. Hardly surprising given how the Big O always was an echoey cement-ville. However, some fans claimed the sound was good but it must have been based on an advantageous seating location.

An iconic photo of Emerson practising or posing at the Big O in 1977:

1035x736-GettyImages-109766321.jpg

Was surprised to find their Montreal concert on YouTube, with very good sound at that. At 1:08:54, ELP is in its encore portion of the concert and this is where Greg Lake appears from the darkness sporting a Habs sweater:

Surprised to see how much soloing by Carl Palmer on drums, forgot how much of a showman he is. Great chops. At their Montreal gig, they had a 65-piece orchestra accompanying them, which they ended up scrapping due to budgetary reasons -- it had almost bankrupted them.

...on August 26, 1977, at Olympic Stadium in Montreal, ... an event that many would consider to be the pinnacle of Emerson, Lake & Palmer's musical career. In front of an estimated 78,000 fans, ELP took the stage with a 65-piece orchestra and gave the most memorable performance of their legendary Works Orchestral Tour.

Some interesting user comments:

Wow, that concert was the very first I ever attended. Tickets were 15$. That was a lot of money; to me back then... :) . We were all seating on the ground. No chairs! First come first seated. Couldn't go to bathroom, because I would have lost my place and could not have returned. Drank 4-5 beers before concert, outside stadium ( I was just 15 ). First thing I did after concert was peeing my bladder off for 5 minutes on the street! Was worth it!

The real star of this ELP tour was that massive Yamaha GX-1 synthesizer that Keith Emerson is playing. That synthesizer is an absolute tank (it weighs 600 lb) but it is one of the most incredible sounding instruments created by man. It was a nightmare for ELP to tour with but it was an indispensable component to the sound of late 70's orchestral ELP. It is also one of the rarest keyboards in the world: only 50 are claimed to have been built and only 10 are known to exist outside of Japan.

Other pic of the band at the Big O:

ELPMontreal_1977_ShoutFactoryC.jpg

I was surprised to see that ELP's big stadium song, the theme from Peter Gunn, was not in the above clip. However, there was a release that led to believe there was a Montreal connection:

Last edited:

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
saw Arms and Sleepers in a small but cozy bar in beijing a few back. so good. the guy had 2 sets of an hour each separated by a q&a, which is a bit odd, but he was very forthcoming and brought some montreal love with him - all his graphics are mad by an artist from montreal

if you're into ambient electro and tycho-esque stuff, i highly recommend. its my go to 'sorry working right now' music.

Barilko

You are what you is
Jan 30, 2016
ELP Big Owe

Nice report on the show guys

I was there and yes it did depend where you sat

As for Peter Gun they did not play it in Montreal

Peter Gun was used as the opening track on the works tour after they dropped the orchestra

Yes the live album with the big owe cover was mostly recorded at the big toilet bowl. Yet Peter Gun was not

Trust me this happens all the time

Ie Purple Made in Japan the music ya the cover is from The Rainbow Theatre in London

and many live albums are recorded all over yet claim to be recorded at certain venues which also includes many studio overdubs that are deemed to be live. Ala Kiss etc

as for Radiohead. the Bell Center would be nice and I'll choose The Silversun Pickups from the line up as my opening act

ELPMontreal_1977_ShoutFactoryC.jpg

I was surprised to see that ELP's big stadium song, the theme from Peter Gunn, was not in the above clip. However, it appears that they did play it Montreal, in August 1977:

[/QUOTE]

didimentionlarseller

Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Im so glad I saw ELP live theyre one of my prog favs - Emerson seemed like the tortured type i guess he was really upset about his hands i know that from interviews

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yes the live album with the big owe cover was mostly recorded at the big toilet bowl. Yet Peter Gun was not

Trust me this happens all the time

Ie Purple Made in Japan the music ya the cover is from The Rainbow Theatre in London

and many live albums are recorded all over yet claim to be recorded at certain venues which also includes many studio overdubs that are deemed to be live. Ala Kiss etc

Thanks so much for clarifying yet another dirty aspect of live acts that is swept under the rug. That rug has camel humps by now, with all of the garbage accumulated over the years. How do they justify these excesses -- albums are work of art and not intended to bear accuracy when it comes to facts?

as for Radiohead. the Bell Center would be nice and I'll choose The Silversun Pickups from the line up as my opening act

I'm looking for more suggestions on prog. bands that are putting out quality stuff. Which bands are in this mold? Also, how did you happen on The Silversun Pickups and what do you like about them?

SOS goes out to anyone here who has prog. band suggestions. Please include your favorite titles. Thanks.

didimentionlarseller

Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
what the **** - Prince is playing two shows tonight at Place des Arts and the first I heard of this was on 690 today

this is a serious problem

Last edited:

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
I am having a huge brain cramp right now. How do I embed youtube video? I've done this many times on other forums but keep getting a fuzzy video error...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I am having a huge brain cramp right now. How do I embed youtube video? I've done this many times on other forums but keep getting a fuzzy video error...

Just hit "quote" on any post that contains a YouTube video and you'll see what part of the sequence needs to be used. You only need to lift the part that follows the "=" sign and use the YouTube icon above to insert it. Hoping this helps.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
Just hit "quote" on any post that contains a YouTube video and you'll see what part of the sequence needs to be used. You only need to lift the part that follows the "=" sign and use the YouTube icon above to insert it. Hoping this helps.

It does. Thank you.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
30 years (!) since this great track and album, I Against I, was released. Ahead of their time, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad