Music 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

DharmaBum

Just like a young Dave Ellett
Nov 14, 2010
Winnipeg
A couple of cover songs that may seem a bit odd.

First up is a cover of Springsteen's Atlantic City by Justin Townes Earle (son of Steve Earle)

song begins at the 1:10 mark

Next up is David Usher, he was the lead singer of the Canadian band Moist, doing a cover of Pink's "Get the Party Started" skip to the 1 minute marker to get past the talking. Pretty interesting cover with a little bit of Ozzy's Crazy Train thrown in.

And believe it or not the Black Crowes first hit "Hard to Handle" is actually a cover of an Otis Redding original. Since everybody knows the cover, I'll leave you with the original .

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Just gotta say I love this thread. No drama, just happy and all over the board. Love finding new stuff to listen to that the algorithm doesn't provide. Thanks all.

Remember K-Tel? Of course you do. Who knew the songs were actually not sub 3:00? LOL. I think I got a K-Tel album each Christmas for about 6 straight years. Shortened the songs may have been, but they stuck.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Many decades ago, when I was still in school and living at home, I would lie in my bed on the weekends in the wee hours of the morning with my little portable radio (not too loud of course, didn't want to disturb my parents sleeping across the hall) and I discovered a show on U of M radio. The host would always have the same song as a lead-in, and I thought it was the most beautiful piece of music I had ever heard. Of course, this was long before the internet where you could simply type in a few lyrics and Google would tell you what the song was. So, I would wait for the song to end in the hope that the host would come on and say what it was, only to be disappointed. But I persevered, listening week after week, month after month until finally my patience was rewarded. This is that song.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Many decades ago, when I was still in school and living at home, I would lie in my bed on the weekends in the wee hours of the morning with my little portable radio (not too loud of course, didn't want to disturb my parents sleeping across the hall) and I discovered a show on U of M radio. The host would always have the same song as a lead-in, and I thought it was the most beautiful piece of music I had ever heard. Of course, this was long before the internet where you could simply type in a few lyrics and Google would tell you what the song was. So, I would wait for the song to end in the hope that the host would come on and say what it was, only to be disappointed. But I persevered, listening week after week, month after month until finally my patience was rewarded. This is that song.

College (university) radio was a great thing at the time. The U of M also had a couple of great guys working in the bookstore in their music section and it was a fantastic place to pick up pretty obscure stuff. The guys were all too happy to help and knew so much. I got some great Japanese masters from them at the time. That goes back to late 70s, early 80s and the record section was gone by probably 1985-86 or so. The management at the Bookstore was such a disaster at the time, through into the 90s.

I used to love staying up at nights on Sunday night and using either the transistor radio or my clock radio to scan the dial for cool radio stations. On more than one occasion I was able to pick up The Loop out of Chicago.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
8EC79252-80DD-4B96-990A-5E5F375B8901.jpeg

Thinking of Gordon Lightfoot’s B-day and how he influenced generations of Canadian Artists, even indirectly.

This song honestly reminds me of The Doors, but the haunting tone also makes me think of Lightfoot.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Just gotta say I love this thread. No drama, just happy and all over the board. Love finding new stuff to listen to that the algorithm doesn't provide. Thanks all.

Remember K-Tel? Of course you do. Who knew the songs were actually not sub 3:00? LOL. I think I got a K-Tel album each Christmas for about 6 straight years. Shortened the songs may have been, but they stuck.

Hey @buggs speaking of K-Tel albums this was one of my first albums and i still have it. :laugh: Seriously listen to this whole album it's very good.

Mentioning K-Tel:
giphy.gif

I had to remove the Media links in order to embed the maximum here. I wanted to compress as many songs as possible into each Post, rather than string them out in singular fashion.

K-Tel was the first experience of "owning" music for me as a child. My parents big expense one x-mas was an 8-track player, and they bought me a 2 pack for my gift:

Goofy Greats/Kooky Kountry (Yes, I obviously was identified as a joker early)

I realize these probably belong in the Humour Thread rather than here, but I'm confident that you will all understand why I'm putting them here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad