Value of: Murray or Fleury

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Everything boils down to the list he gave JR. Who's on it? How did MAF approach the decision making process of selecting those 16 teams. What was he looking for when he made that list? And how many of those 16 teams really want to acquire him? Like I said, if it's Dal, Cal, Car, Phil, NYI, Win, then a deal should be made.

Also interesting to note: I think Dallas is the team that needs him the most. Since he submitted that NTC list after LAST season, Dallas may have been one of the teams he'd accept. They were coming off a 1st place finish in the conference, with a solid roster of good players (and they've got great weather and no state tax in Texas!).

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
3) Loyalty? Pens are choosing Murray over him. Which, he understands is the right move for the organization. He understands the business. Now, he's got to look out for himself and do what makes sense for him.

Fleury got his NMC/NTC because he wanted it and you don't get these for free otherwise everybody would have it.
So Fleury left money on the table to get his NMC/NTC and now he should waive it? Damn business LOL

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
1) None of us knows what that list is right? Right now, teams with a need for a #1 are Philly as their top guy signed for next season is Neurvirth. NYI, maybe but as of last season, they had Halak signed. Carolina would still have Ward & Lack on the books. Anyone else in the East looking for a #1 goalie? In the West, you have Winnipeg, Calgary, and Dallas. Pavelec's deal is done, same with Elliott. Dallas would have to buy out goalies. But, Win and Cal both have young goalie prospects, which means no chance for an extension.

I doubt that'd be an issue, because if MAF did end up accepting a trade to Carolina, I'm fairly certain Lack would be part of the return. PIT would expose him, and if/when he goes unselected, he'd be Murray's backup.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Fleury got his NMC/NTC because he wanted it and you don't get these for free otherwise everybody would have it.
So Fleury left money on the table to get his NMC/NTC and now he should waive it? Damn business LOL

One thing MAF didn't do was leave money on the table when he signed his current contract.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I doubt that'd be an issue, because if MAF did end up accepting a trade to Carolina, I'm fairly certain Lack would be part of the return. PIT would expose him, and if/when he goes unselected, he'd be Murray's backup.

Yeah I think that's why Fleury to Carolina makes a ton of sense, I'm just not sure that Carolina isn't on Fleury's NTC or that Fleury would waive there.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Yeah I think that's why Fleury to Carolina makes a ton of sense, I'm just not sure that Carolina isn't on Fleury's NTC or that Fleury would waive there.

As Riptide mentioned earlier, MAF gave the Pens his 16 team list already (I assume per contract terms, it was done prior to the end of June 2016).

So, kind of have to rewind and look at the goalie landscape at that point in time, rather than how it looks now.

The Pens can always come back to MAF and ask to change out a team or two. But, MAF is not obligated to change his list, as he has fulfilled the terms of his contract by giving the 16 team list back in June 2016. Only, if MAF wants to.

What factors did MAF take into consideration. Winning team, competition from a young guy, location, probability of an extension once he is eligible, etc.

He'll either be traded or bought out. Don't see how it benefits MAF to agree to be dealt to LV. There are a couple of goalie needy teams that could use an upgrade in nets that he could help make the playoffs with.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
As Riptide mentioned earlier, MAF gave the Pens his 16 team list already (I assume per contract terms, it was done prior to the end of June 2016).

So, kind of have to rewind and look at the goalie landscape at that point in time, rather than how it looks now.

The Pens can always come back to MAF and ask to change out a team or two. But, MAF is not obligated to change his list, as he has fulfilled the terms of his contract by giving the 16 team list back in June 2016. Only, if MAF wants to.

What factors did MAF take into consideration. Winning team, competition from a young guy, location, probability of an extension once he is eligible, etc.

He'll either be traded or bought out. Don't see how it benefits MAF to agree to be dealt to LV. There are a couple of goalie needy teams that could use an upgrade in nets that he could help make the playoffs with.

I do remember reading over the trade deadline that Fleury was willing to waive some of the teams off his NTC, not all of them but a couple of them. That was right before everyone expected him to be traded though, I don't know if that would apply after the season.

splot

Jun 12, 2014
In the end he will probably be traded, but with ~1.5M retained. There's gonna be buyers at that price among the teams not on the no trade list and 2 years of wasted cap space beats 4.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Canes/Stars make the most sense to me, I'd be surprised if he wouldn't accept either of them.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Ha, good luck with that. Zero chance Fleury is waiving for expansion no matter what your feelings are.

I don't know if there is zero chance he waives but I am pretty sure he would rather stay in Pittsburgh than anything else and will probably do what he can to make that happen unless the Penguins straight up tell him that they no longer want him and will buy him out if he doesn't waive. In that case who knows if he will make them buy him out or not but the loyalty will be over with at that point.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
MAF gave the Pens his 16 team list already (I assume per contract terms, it was done prior to the end of June 2016).

Players can always change their list with teams they would accept a trade to, teams only need to agree to it. If a team wouldn't agree there would already be a bad taste in the relation and the player would likely block everything he can.

In this case Fleury's agent should have updated the trade list already.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Players can always change their list with teams they would accept a trade to, teams only need to agree to it. If a team wouldn't agree there would already be a bad taste in the relation and the player would likely block everything he can.

In this case Fleury's agent should have updated the trade list already.

Once again, you're just making stuff up. That's just flat out untrue. Lists are updated on July 1st of every year and they're kept throughout the year. They aren't changed midway through the year, at least not officially.

Why do you just make stuff up all of the time? Honest question. Because between a "draft cap" and this along with countless other things, you seem to make stuff up on the regular.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad