Value of: Murray or Fleury

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Has Fleury's play this season and particularly in the playoffs increased his value to the point any other teams would be interested in trading for him?

Has Fleury's play let to the Pens' brass to even consider the possibility of exploring what Murray's value would be on the trade market?

I would posit that if Murray was traded, it would HAVE TO be for a very high end prospect, or a player who is expansion draft exempt. If Fleury was traded, the preference would also be for a prospect or ED exempt player, but not essential.

What would your team give for either Murray or Fleury?

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
Fleury is still gone after the season. All his recent play is doing is making him easier for the Penguins to get rid of.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Wonder if the Flames regret not trading for Fleury.
And at the same time, Glad JR just didn't trade him for a pick, right now with Murray out it would have been a disaster

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
My team would not go after either though I am sure everyone would love to have Murray. Fleury's value is hard to gage because he has such control over the situation.

The Pens if they trade him only need to get a goalie they can expose to be ahead of the game, that is still better than a buy out so my suspicion is they get sub market value for him.

Murray? A 1rst a prospect and a player? Pretty much what any star gets. Maybe a bit more due to his age, maybe a bit less due to how deep goaltending is in the NHL and the number that will be available due to expansion.

Shoofyou10

Apr 30, 2009
The Burgh
The Penguins arent trading Murray. He's still the goalie of the future. As for MAF? people on this board undervalued him all season (many Dallas fans saying he wasn't an upgrade over what they already had, LOL). He's still a top 15 goalie in the league. The problem is that all the other teams know that they have to trade him and he has a no trade clause (meaning he has a lot of the power). So it's hard to think he would get all that much despite the fact that he is still very good and still young enough that you could get 5 more good years out of him (if not more).

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I don't think it really changes anything TBH.

A team like Winnipeg could be interested in MAF (assuming he waives), but that kind of trade was always going to be post XD. I don't think his value will fluctuate much at this point, he's been in the league long enough, I don't think a GM would be swayed with his current performance to offer more than they would have prior to the start of the playoffs.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Murray is not being traded, Fleury is being traded. Stop suggesting otherwise, it makes negative sense to trade Murray.

Fleury is either going to Vegas or Calgary if I had to guess this offseason.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
fleury- very little to no value, 2 good games in the playofs doesn't change that he was below average all season and is a career average goalie and below average in the playoffs.
murray- ALOT

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
Fleury has moderate value due to his relatively low price tag for a good starter. Still probably wouldn't command much in a trade, but he won't be getting traded for nothing. Murray is off the table

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
There were rumblings a month or so ago about a deal already being on the table with McPhee/Vegas. Would imagine maybe their 2nd for Fleury with 1-1.5 mil retained?

There are still only a few other teams who would concievably want Fleury as an upgrade in goal and are at an appropriate point in their roster's life cycle that adding a starter on the back-9 of his career would make sense. Calgary, Dallas, MAYBE St. Louis? MAAAYBE Buffalo?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Bill Watters reported MAF was offered to the Jets for a 2nd rd pick and the Jets passed.

Needless to say MAF doesn't hold much value even to a team desperately needing to improve their goaltending like the Jets.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Bill Watters reported MAF was offered to the Jets for a 2nd rd pick and the Jets passed.

Needless to say MAF doesn't hold much value even to a team desperately needing to improve their goaltending like the Jets.

A. It makes sense why the Jets would say no to that due to the expansion draft.
B. I really doubt that because from what everything we heard, JR was letting others make offers on Fleury (which no teams did I believe). JR wasn't offering Fleury to other teams, if he was, I don't doubt a deal would have gotten worked out. Maybe not with Winnipeg, but with someone.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Its weird that Murray magically hurt himself right before the playoffs while the pens kept Jarry up and Fluery got a chance at redemption... seems a bit of a too good to be true story... wonder if the Pens arent simply fluffing his value a bit... If murray comes back after the first loss and plays fine then I will be very skeptical this wasnt the case... the pens have lots of faith and respect for MAF... I honestly wouldnt put it past them...

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Has Fleury's play this season and particularly in the playoffs increased his value to the point any other teams would be interested in trading for him?

Has Fleury's play let to the Pens' brass to even consider the possibility of exploring what Murray's value would be on the trade market?

I would posit that if Murray was traded, it would HAVE TO be for a very high end prospect, or a player who is expansion draft exempt. If Fleury was traded, the preference would also be for a prospect or ED exempt player, but not essential.

What would your team give for either Murray or Fleury?

Cup winners usually need a top 10 HD goalie.
except for 3 teams
2 had unique reefing DAL +
and
one's offence outscored there poor goaltending.
2009 Pitsburgh

Murray had the second best HD start to a goalie career reg Ssn and Playoffs.

Since 08-09 22 active goalies have started 17+ Playoff games.
More than the min wins to get a cup (16).

Active goalies Rank SV%
1. M Smith .945 SV%
2. Holtby .936
3. C. Andersson .930
4. Rask .928
5. Bishop .927
6. Lundquist .925
6. Halak .925
8. Jones .924
9. Murray .923
10. Quick .921
11. Crawford .919
-------------------------- Meadian
12. F. Andersson .917
13. Price .916
13. Rinne .916
15. Brodeur .915
15. Ward .915
15. Varlamov .915
18. Miller .914
19. Luongo .912
20. Elliott .908
21. Fluery .902
22. Dubnyk .900

Current active Goalies min 5 GP last 4 playoffs.
1. Talbot .948
2. C. Andersson .944
3. Holtby .939
4. Darling .936
5. Luongo .934
6. Mrazek .931
7. Allen .929
8. Bishop .927
9. Halak .926
10 Jones .924
10. Lundquist .924
12. Murray .923
12. Griess .923
14. Price .922
14. Rask .922
16. Fluery .921
17. Vasilevsky .920
18. Kuemper .919
------------------------ Median
19. F. Andersson .917
19. Rinne .917
21. Crawford .916
21. Tokarski .916
23. Elliott .915

Fluery still makes me nervous!

las vegas will likely have pick of!
Cup winners need
1. HD Sys coach
Gallant Yes

2. Top 10 HD goalie
they could get
Murray PIT
Darling NYR

3. 3+ top 60 HD Dmen.
List of Dmen who have Had 2 + yrs top 60 HD.
Mcquaid or K. Miller; BOS
TVR; CHI
Fayne EDM
Greene or Mcnabb LAK
Spurgeon or Scandella or Dumba MIN
Ellis NSH
N. Schmidt WSH

4. 5+ top 120-130 fwds last 3 seasons
Stempniak CAR
Hartnell CBJ
Brouwer CGY
Plekanac MTL
Bozak TOR

UFA
Iginla
Hudler
Marleau
Thorton
Vanek
Veersteeg

4. +ve Goal dif Special teams.

Vegas has a chance to build from the net out and be GA Cup competitive from day 1.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
jets have a better goalie than Fleury, so that makes sense that they declined, and don't they have alot of money tied up in Pavelec? two meh goalies making 5 or so Million is a bad idea.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I am OK with taking on Fleury, on condition that we, one way or another, have a deal in place which ensures that Hellebuyck is a Jet next season. I also wouldn't be willing to pay two different teams: either Fleury waives his NMC, or we have to pay Vegas, in which case I wouldn't pay anything to Pittsburgh.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
What kind of injury does Murray have?
Obviously they played him too much but what is a goalie worth if he's not ready for the playoffs.
And now Fleury shows his true face.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Fleury is still gone after the season. All his recent play is doing is making him easier for the Penguins to get rid of.

The only thing that would keep Fleury in Pittsburgh is the 16 team trade list that he gives to the Pens.

Unless it contains only (Mon, Tor, Ott, Bos, TB, Fla, NYR, NJ, Was, SJ, Ana, LA, Edm, Chi, Nas, Min), all of whom have a set #1 goalie, then I can see where the Pens would be forced to trade Murray, as Fleury can't be exposed in the ED or waived. He could have his contract bought out however.

But, as long as Fleury's trade list has Calgary, Dallas, Winnipeg, Carolina, etc. on it, the Pens should be able to move him.

Are there valid reasons as to why Fleury wouldn't list all of those teams? Yes. Win, Cal, and Car are all grooming young goalies, like Murray to take the #1 job when Fleury's contract expires in 2 years. So, he may not want to go somewhere where he has to move again when is contract is up. He might get an extension in Carolina, but it wouldn't be for more than 2 years, as Alex N. would need some more development time, compared to Helly/Comrie in Winnipeg and Gillies in Calgary, who should be ready to take over after 2 years with Fleury as the starter.

Tunez33

Mar 29, 2013
The only thing that would keep Fleury in Pittsburgh is the 16 team trade list that he gives to the Pens.

Unless it contains only (Mon, Tor, Ott, Bos, TB, Fla, NYR, NJ, Was, SJ, Ana, LA, Edm, Chi, Nas, Min), all of whom have a set #1 goalie, then I can see where the Pens would be forced to trade Murray, as Fleury can't be exposed in the ED or waived. He could have his contract bought out however.

But, as long as Fleury's trade list has Calgary, Dallas, Winnipeg, Carolina, etc. on it, the Pens should be able to move him.

Are there valid reasons as to why Fleury wouldn't list all of those teams? Yes. Win, Cal, and Car are all grooming young goalies, like Murray to take the #1 job when Fleury's contract expires in 2 years. So, he may not want to go somewhere where he has to move again when is contract is up. He might get an extension in Carolina, but it wouldn't be for more than 2 years, as Alex N. would need some more development time, compared to Helly/Comrie in Winnipeg and Gillies in Calgary, who should be ready to take over after 2 years with Fleury as the starter.

or you buy him out, murray is the future and present you do not lose him

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Said this on the Pens board: Trade Fleury to Vegas for low pick to make sure they don't select Maatta/Schultz or whoever we leave unprotected and select one of Wilson or Hags. That's actually not bad for Vegas, get a proven starter goalie and a speedy top9 winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad