Murray and Muzzin

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Murray will be ready just in time to take over the net for game 1 and put on a Roy/Hasek level display in the playoffs to will Toronto to its first cup since 1967.

Then Murray will collect his 3rd ring, retire, and ride off into the sunset to go to school for physiotherapy so that he can pass on all the secrets that he has learned in his time on the table during his career.
This is accurate except for the bolded. He takes over as the proverbial Hail Mary after we go down 3-0 in the 1st round.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Now that I think about it ...

I implore the Leafs to clear them for the playoffs.

With no intention of ever using them, they should do it to give the updigit to the league for the garbage they have permitted teams in the past.

All contracts are up at end of season, there is no harm.

Reactions: HolyCrap

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I’d be happy to see Murray in a Jones role next year. If he can be a cheap solid backup, why not.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Do you know who the best goalie FA were that off-season? Kuemper and Campbell. It didn't look like we were ever going to be in the running on Kuemper. Would we have been much better off with anyone else in FA that year? Comrie, Lindgren, Jones, Pickard, Domingue, Halak? Murray was a worth while gamble if he had regained even a little bit of his former self. Yes, he had an injury history. Everyone knew that.

We still got an adequate goalie for free with assets as opposed to signing someone like Jones with no assets attached and getting similar or worse results.
But he wasn't actually adequate. He was signed as the solution and fell apart like he had been doing for years. He was added at the expense of getting a legit #1 starter. He gave Ottawa 45 starts and a s% under .900 over 2 years :huh: How did they ignore that red flag?

3/10/22Neck
2/15/22Undisclosed
10/23/21Head
10/15/21Illness
4/26/21Lower Body
2/13/21Upper body

With Sammy not being qualified coming off a .896 year in Washington, at the beginning of last season, would you have said the Leafs would succeed with a Samsonov/Woll tandem? Murray was "the" big move. I don't think we can assume that because the Leafs didn't add a better goalie than Murray it meant there wasn't one available.

Anyways if you thing that was a smart hockey move I am not going to change your mind so lets leave it at that. It is theoretically possibly for Murray to actually make it so, so the story may not be over yet.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
But he wasn't actually adequate. He was signed as the solution and fell apart like he had been doing for years. He was added at the expense of getting a legit #1 starter. He gave Ottawa 45 starts and a s% under .900 over 2 years :huh: How did they ignore that red flag?

3/10/22Neck
2/15/22Undisclosed
10/23/21Head
10/15/21Illness
4/26/21Lower Body
2/13/21Upper body

With Sammy not being qualified coming off a .896 year in Washington, at the beginning of last season, would you have said the Leafs would succeed with a Samsonov/Woll tandem? Murray was "the" big move. I don't think we can assume that because the Leafs didn't add a better goalie than Murray it meant there wasn't one available.

Anyways if you thing that was a smart hockey move I am not going to change your mind so lets leave it at that. It is theoretically possibly for Murray to actually make it so, so the story may not be over yet.
He was adequate in that he gave us league average goaltending. I don't know why you keep ignoring the fact that we got a league average goalie with assets attached as opposed to signing another question mark with no assets attached. So yes that was a fairly smart move. We knew he had injury history, one injury Murray blamed the Sens staff for and he was coming here where we had top notch medical care. He then ended up destroying his groin/hips, which happens to most goalies. I showed you that there wasn't much out there that summer.

Was I confident in a Murray/Sammy tandem and if they were the solution to get us a cup? No. Did I think that was about as good a situation as we were going to do? Yes. Because again, LOOK AT WHAT WAS OUT THERE. I was more than fine with signing Sammy because he was a goalie coming off a down year, that had given a few years of at or above average goaltending and had 1st round pedigree. It paid off. He had a .919sv% last year. For the record, the tandem I had wanted was Samsonov/Blackwood. Both young guys with pedigree looking to have bounce back years and I figured Blackwood wasn't going to be expensive to acquire (6th round pick).

Reactions: I am Canadian

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
He was adequate in that he gave us league average goaltending. I don't know why you keep ignoring the fact that we got a league average goalie with assets attached as opposed to signing another question mark with no assets attached. So yes that was a fairly smart move. We knew he had injury history, one injury Murray blamed the Sens staff for and he was coming here where we had top notch medical care. He then ended up destroying his groin/hips, which happens to most goalies. I showed you that there wasn't much out there that summer.

Was I confident in a Murray/Sammy tandem and if they were the solution to get us a cup? No. Did I think that was about as good a situation as we were going to do? Yes. Because again, LOOK AT WHAT WAS OUT THERE. I was more than fine with signing Sammy because he was a goalie coming off a down year, that had given a few years of at or above average goaltending and had 1st round pedigree. It paid off. He had a .919sv% last year. For the record, the tandem I had wanted was Samsonov/Blackwood. Both young guys with pedigree looking to have bounce back years and I figured Blackwood wasn't going to be expensive to acquire (6th round pick).
Look at what was out there assumes any play who wasn't traded must not have been available. Would trade for the right price vs needs to trade are not going to be identical lists. And I don't know why you keep ignoring that the league average goalie was brought in to be the playoff goalie and wasn't there:) That the only reason they spent that much cap on him and he wasn't there for the post season. Murray getting hurt was about the least surprising thing that happened last season. Anyways :deadhorse We don't know what deals almost happened and we likely never will.

There are a few players including Blackwood and Driedger that I would have taken ahead of Murray with the understanding that the club might have to pay a premium mid season if they and/or Sammy didn't work out.

The interesting thing is Tre will be going into next year in almost the same position with no reliable #1 guy, Woll still a question mark, Hildeby at least another year away, and Sammy showing crazy inconsistency.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Now that I think about it ...

I implore the Leafs to clear them for the playoffs.

With no intention of ever using them, they should do it to give the updigit to the league for the garbage they have permitted teams in the past.

All contracts are up at end of season, there is no harm.
The best part if they did this would be the massive outcry that would rise up immediately, and the league would finally jump in to 'fix' the issue of teams being over the cap in the playoffs.

Reactions: HolyCrap and ULF_55

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
It seems like there is at least some chance Murray will be recovered and could be ready for the playoffs, Major surgery and of September so almost 7 months to recover. I'm not sure it matters but he was a .921 in 50 playoff starts for the Pens against a .914 regular season.

But with Muzzin I only recall speculation about his future, not real details about the injury or what, if any rehab was getting done. Maybe mention of concussion back in 2022 but nothing since. He was travelling some with the team last year and then in this October the were calling him a scout. Safe to say he will never lacem up again I guess.

Doctors told Muzzin that if you continue to play you are risking permanent damage to your quality of life after retirement. Permanent like paralyzed from neck or waist down.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Except he is made of glass. So I would just move on from him. Why not re-sign Jones then? Unless he can get a better gig out there?

Jones is likely getting a pay bump.

He's going to be some teams backup next season (maybe even the Leafs for all we know). But he's probably getting around 1.5 mil. They'll need a #3 for league minimum,.which Murray will likely take. So that fits at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad