Murray and Muzzin

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
It seems like there is at least some chance Murray will be recovered and could be ready for the playoffs, Major surgery and of September so almost 7 months to recover. I'm not sure it matters but he was a .921 in 50 playoff starts for the Pens against a .914 regular season.

But with Muzzin I only recall speculation about his future, not real details about the injury or what, if any rehab was getting done. Maybe mention of concussion back in 2022 but nothing since. He was travelling some with the team last year and then in this October the were calling him a scout. Safe to say he will never lacem up again I guess.

Reactions: Anthrax442

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I'm kind of curious to see Matt Murray continue his career as a Leaf just for the weird novelty of it. If it's cheap like a Martin Jones deal, why not?

Muzzin's done. I wonder if he goes into management?
Murray in the mix for a backup job next year *would* be neat, especially if you’re pretty confident in Hildeby being ready by the end of next year or to start ‘25-26 in the NHL.

If Muzzin can coach D like he played D, sign me up.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Muzzin is likely 100% done. He's literally already working on his next job - Tre (or Shanny?) hired him as a pro scout. Has been working for the Leafs since October.

Murray seems like he wants to play again. I can see him getting the Jones deal to be the dirt cheap vet #3 next season
Can he do that? :huh::huh::huh:

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
If you don't know who the sucker at the table is it's you.

Tells us all how bad a GM Dubas was that Dorion was able to pull one over on him. Trading for the crippled body of Matt Murray had to be one of the dumbest things Dubas did while he was here. Ottawa paying their historic rival to take Murray off their hands says a lot about what they think of him.

Says a lot about what they think of Dubas too.

One year of sucking, it happens, don't give up. Two years of sucking is a little worrisome, but again, it happens. Three years of sucking, guess what, this is pro sports, three strikes and you're out.

Time to give Dubas a call.

Dubas loves taking on other teams rejects. Thinking he got a good deal. Not realizing that in the NHL, like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

In this case Dorion paid Dubas to take the trash away.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

Tells us all how bad a GM Dubas was that Dorion was able to pull one over on him. Trading for the crippled body of Matt Murray had to be one of the dumbest things Dubas did while he was here. Ottawa paying their historic rival to take Murray off their hands says a lot about what they think of him.

One year of sucking, it happens, don't give up. Two years of sucking is a little worrisome, but again, it happens. Three years of sucking, guess what, this is pro sports, three strikes and you're out.

Dubas loves taking on other teams rejects. Thinking he got a good deal. Not realizing that in the NHL, like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

We literally gave up nothing in the trade and even got 2 draft picks attached. His contract is buried and isn't affecting the cap. So what's the problem?

Even when he played games for us, he gave us a .903sv% which is the league average.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
We literally gave up nothing in the trade and even got 2 draft picks attached. His contract is buried and isn't affecting the cap. So what's the problem?

Even when he played games for us, he gave us a .903sv% which is the league average.
Now imagine this year if we could not have put Murray on LTIR. Murray was Dubas thinking he was smarter than everybody else. He was so desperate to trade for him that he caved and accepted only 25% retention, a 5th and a 7th. A 5th and a 7th for Murray and his 4.7mx2 cap hit. He follows it up last summer by almost taking on all EK's cap hit. Well done Kyle.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Dubas also happened to hit Muzzin in the neck with an abacus while measuring his height and coming to the conclusion he was too tall, causing the neck injury and early retirement. Sad, really.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Yeah so it was a good deal :laugh:

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
I did like a lot of what Dubas did. But the Murray trade was such an unnecessary risk from day 1 and probably the worst move he made.

Muzzin going out the way he did sucked. He’s exactly what we could use right now.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Now imagine this year if we could not have put Murray on LTIR. Murray was Dubas thinking he was smarter than everybody else. He was so desperate to trade for him that he caved and accepted only 25% retention, a 5th and a 7th. A 5th and a 7th for Murray and his 4.7mx2 cap hit. He follows it up last summer by almost taking on all EK's cap hit. Well done Kyle.
Imagine that they had added a goalie without the horrendous recent injury history and he was better than .898 in the playoffs. A stupid deal based on the slim chance Murray would be healthy into the post season. No point in beating it up any more. But for this playoff if Sammy was .898 last year why is he going to be better this year? Please give us back last seasons Woll.

Reactions: ToneDog

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
We got a 3rd for Murray, not a 5th. Iirc Ottawa wasn't willing to retain more than 25% because their internal cap but I agree that Dubas probably could've got more and I was disappointed with the return. Either way we got an adequate backup with extra assets for free as opposed to just signing an adequate backup in FA and not getting the assets.

I know Dubas had been talking to SJ about Karlsson but I don't remember there ever being details reported about it. I don't see how Dubas would have acquired an 11M player here at full cap

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
We got a 3rd for Murray, not a 5th. Iirc Ottawa wasn't willing to retain more than 25% because their internal cap but I agree that Dubas probably could've got more and I was disappointed with the return. Either way we got an adequate backup with extra assets for free as opposed to just signing an adequate backup in FA and not getting the assets.

I know Dubas had been talking to SJ about Karlsson but I don't remember there ever being details reported about it. I don't see how Dubas would have acquired an 11M player here at full cap
Come on nobody pays $4.68M for a backup:) Murray was brought in the be the #1 because of his playoff history. The $1.8M player the Caps didn't want to qualify was clearly the backup. The club acquired who they thought was to be their playoff goalie at a cost of only cap space because he was cheap and the spent picks for position players instead. Murray doesn't become the backup just because he got hurt and left the job to Sammy.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Murray back in a Jones-esque role next year would be interesting. He may get better offers out there.

Murray back on the Leafs bench in the playoffs likely involves a disaster scenario. Would be a very good story though.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Come on nobody pays $4.68M for a backup:) Murray was brought in the be the #1 because of his playoff history. The $1.8M player the Caps didn't want to qualify was clearly the backup. The club acquired who they thought was to be their playoff goalie at a cost of only cap space because he was cheap and the spent picks for position players instead. Murray doesn't become the backup just because he got hurt and left the job to Sammy.
Do you know who the best goalie FA were that off-season? Kuemper and Campbell. It didn't look like we were ever going to be in the running on Kuemper. Would we have been much better off with anyone else in FA that year? Comrie, Lindgren, Jones, Pickard, Domingue, Halak? Murray was a worth while gamble if he had regained even a little bit of his former self. Yes, he had an injury history. Everyone knew that.

We still got an adequate goalie for free with assets as opposed to signing someone like Jones with no assets attached and getting similar or worse results.

GreatDayforHockey

Jul 21, 2022
  1. Who knows when or if Murray will be ready for game action but I believe a player can compete in AHL games on a conditioning stint.....PRIOR to coming off LTIR. That would be an interesting experiment to have him play 3 or 4 AHL late season games to help get the rust off....just in case he might be needed in a long playoff round.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
If you're auntie had nuts she'd be your uncle!

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

A lot of GM's do that because they have this inner voice that tells them they can fix the player or get him playing to the level everyone expected him to. I don't think it is unique to Dubas...but he sure did try it too much hoping for the homerun that never happened. He did the whole ECHL team thing hoping to unmask another Justin Holl or Bobby McMann....and now the ECHL team is going to go under. So much for that Idea.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If Leafs stack up against Floria (1st round) or (if possible 2nd round); this time around I want someone to pull a muzzin and lob a puck at Tkachuk so he can lose his marbles and starts crying and whining again :laugh:

this was muzz's one of the greatest accomplishment as a Leaf :laugh:

Reactions: OddyOh

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
It seems like there is at least some chance Murray will be recovered and could be ready for the playoffs, Major surgery and of September so almost 7 months to recover. I'm not sure it matters but he was a .921 in 50 playoff starts for the Pens against a .914 regular season.

But with Muzzin I only recall speculation about his future, not real details about the injury or what, if any rehab was getting done. Maybe mention of concussion back in 2022 but nothing since. He was travelling some with the team last year and then in this October the were calling him a scout. Safe to say he will never lacem up again I guess.

Murray will be ready just in time to take over the net for game 1 and put on a Roy/Hasek level display in the playoffs to will Toronto to its first cup since 1967.

Then Murray will collect his 3rd ring, retire, and ride off into the sunset to go to school for physiotherapy so that he can pass on all the secrets that he has learned in his time on the table during his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad