Confirmed with Link: Murphy Renewal 4 Years $4.4m AAV

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
If going off stats guys, jfresh ranked him quite highly. But I think also role to him is what you actually play, and for 3 years Murphys pretty solidly been the top pairing RHD

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
View attachment 463123

fancy stat article writers suggest murphy is 1.2m per overpaid, not sure what world he ever takes a pay cut and only gets 3.2 a year if he hit ufa next summer

I counter your funny numbers tweet....with another funny numbers tweet!

Top pairing defenseman. Should only make $3.2M a season. And people wonder why nobody takes these advanced stats "gurus" seriously?

:laugh:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Wow at anyone who thinks Murphy is a bottom pairing guy. He's closer to a top pairing guy than bottom pairing, and will be a real stable presence to that 2nd pair.

Jones will be getting 24ish minutes a night with Murphy at around 22. That's a lot of stability on the right side every night.

I could see bitching about this deal if he was overpaid or signed too long, but neither is the case, so there should be no crying over his contract.

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Great signing, rock solid right side for the foreseeable future.

Team is a coach away and a young D man becoming a number 4 from taking a massive step imo

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
The two are about the same....3rd pair vets. Murphy can do no wrong around here. It's hilarious.
You see what you want to see. Murphy struggled at times being the best player on his pairing playing against the other team's best players. De haan struggled 80% of the time playing against the other team's worst players.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
You see what you want to see. Murphy struggled at times being the best player on his pairing playing against the other team's best players. De haan struggled 80% of the time playing against the other team's worst players.
I look forward to the day that hawks defense is not so bad that they don't have to rely on these guys.

Reactions: Pertti

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
There are few weird, lame ass posters commenting about Murphy, how he supposed to suck (or isn't that good)
Have you not seen him play, like at all??. :huh:

Been one of Hawks best d-men, in his time in Chicago.

Maybe those same guys said same shit about Seth Jones as well..

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
i think murphy will be great this year now that he will be slotted correctly. I wonder who he will be paired with.

Reactions: tdfxman

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Answer me this:

Where does Murphy stack up vs. tgevother "defensive defenseman " / "shutdown " dmen who are 2nd pair guys in the NHL ...in terms of defensive stats?

I do notcsee hom as an elitec"shutdown" guy.. Naybe average or below average.

The issue is *not lack of offense...only talking defensive EFFECTIVENESS!)...is hecrealky that effective in stifling goals agaibst?

Is he that special making our PK EFFECTIVE ?

It stinks so he cannot be tgat much a "differebce-maker" in that role.

Ok 5x5..does he shine getting to loose picks firsthand EFFECTIVELY clearing? I do not have tgat impression atcalk..he is slow.

Is he goid standing at the line and breaking up rushes before they get into our zone? AGAIN I do not get that impression at all.

Does he Effectivelyvsealnoff guys and re-takevtgebpuck or causevourvothervpkayersctobretrieve thevjarredvkoise pucks? NAH...again I just do not get tgat impression.

Is he an elitecshot blocker? MAYBE average but I AGIN do notcsee him in the ekitebofvtgecNHL for this.

AmI wrong?

What is it that makes anyone want to label hom "shutdowb" dman?

I am sorry but I do not see it...If tgecstatsxshow otherwise,I will stand corrected but to me mybimoresdionnofbhommis meh.

Is Meh worth $4.4 million per?In today's NHL maybe..butbplease do not label him as a shutdown dman ...when he is on,still too.many goals go into our net.

Coukdcwe have found better for $4.4 million per?

I do not know...maybe not...Maybecab"elite" no offense but top of the class "defensive defenseman" would cost $6milkion +per year?

So maybe somebody less lazy than me can compile the top 5 defensive defensemen with stats proof and also postt their cap hits ...then maybe we can compare his effectiveness and value against those guys to get proper assessment of what Murphy is.

Is there a way to measure how long pucks stay in our zone when he is on shift vs. thise top 5 elite defensive dmen?

I just cannot see him as much difference -maker defensively.

Sure you can say hevis better defensively than otgercalterbatives on our own team..but thatvdoes not earn him shutdown statis.

At best....he us less worse than others we could put out at RD defensively ..but that in itself is no ringing endorsement.

Can we not find better ?Maybe ...but maybe not as "cheaply" as $4.4 per.

Reactions: BobbyJet

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Answer me this:

Where does Murphy stack up vs. tgevother "defensive defenseman " / "shutdown " dmen who are 2nd pair guys in the NHL ...in terms of defensive stats?

I do notcsee hom as an elitec"shutdown" guy.. Naybe average or below average.

The issue is *not lack of offense...only talking defensive EFFECTIVENESS!)...is hecrealky that effective in stifling goals agaibst?

Is he that special making our PK EFFECTIVE ?

It stinks so he cannot be tgat much a "differebce-maker" in that role.

Ok 5x5..does he shine getting to loose picks firsthand EFFECTIVELY clearing? I do not have tgat impression atcalk..he is slow.

Is he goid standing at the line and breaking up rushes before they get into our zone? AGAIN I do not get that impression at all.

Does he Effectivelyvsealnoff guys and re-takevtgebpuck or causevourvothervpkayersctobretrieve thevjarredvkoise pucks? NAH...again I just do not get tgat impression.

Is he an elitecshot blocker? MAYBE average but I AGIN do notcsee him in the ekitebofvtgecNHL for this.

AmI wrong?

What is it that makes anyone want to label hom "shutdowb" dman?

I am sorry but I do not see it...If tgecstatsxshow otherwise,I will stand corrected but to me mybimoresdionnofbhommis meh.

Is Meh worth $4.4 million per?In today's NHL maybe..butbplease do not label him as a shutdown dman ...when he is on,still too.many goals go into our net.

Coukdcwe have found better for $4.4 million per?

I do not know...maybe not...Maybecab"elite" no offense but top of the class "defensive defenseman" would cost $6milkion +per year?

So maybe somebody less lazy than me can compile the top 5 defensive defensemen with stats proof and also postt their cap hits ...then maybe we can compare his effectiveness and value against those guys to get proper assessment of what Murphy is.

Is there a way to measure how long pucks stay in our zone when he is on shift vs. thise top 5 elite defensive dmen?

I just cannot see him as much difference -maker defensively.

Sure you can say hevis better defensively than otgercalterbatives on our own team..but thatvdoes not earn him shutdown statis.

At best....he us less worse than others we could put out at RD defensively ..but that in itself is no ringing endorsement.

Can we not find better ?Maybe ...but maybe not as "cheaply" as $4.4 per.
The above is my view of Murphy as well. One can only hope that he stays healthy and can thrive as Hawks defense, in general, should be better going forward.

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
Murphy was our best D last season. Since neither Jones(es) nor McCabe hasn't played for us a single second, I still think he is our best D.

True if we have 4 better D than Murphy he would be 3 pair D but until that happens he is top 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad