Confirmed with Link: Murphy Renewal 4 Years $4.4m AAV

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Meh he would be a 3rd pairing guy in a contender, too much money for a 3rd pairing guy as this team needs to be a contender at one point. Not gonna happen under Stan but in the grand scheme of things and the expectations this is a bad move cap wise. This team now is cap locked, good job Stan man you took us back where you are comfortable most, in a state that you can let guys like TT go and people will blame it on cap restrains but can’t use the cap space to your advantage when other teams are desperate. Pathetic clueless man.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Given salaries, his play, limitations, etc.....pretty reasonable.

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
Can’t complain with the amount and term. He would easily get this in free agency next year if he had waited.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Welp....I'll be that guy. This has the typical Bowman "tip". I like Murphy and I really think you can have a playoff caliber team with him in your middle pairing (with the right other 3 guys in your top 4). 4 years is a nice term where you are getting to his 33 year old year and not extending into the ages where you could see a big decline in ability/play. All that said, in a flat cap world I would have liked it more for a nice round number like 4 million per. We are talking about a guy in Murphy that generates very little offense (even with a slight uptick in historical norms in that past couple shorten seasons). I don't hate the deal, but I don't love it either. Hopefully things rebound and the cap start to creep up again and this deal looks a little better by the time we get to far into it.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Welp....I'll be that guy. This has the typical Bowman "tip". I like Murphy and I really think you can have a playoff caliber team with him in your middle pairing (with the right other 3 guys in your top 4). 4 years is a nice term where you are getting to his 33 year old year and not extending into the ages where you could see a big decline in ability/play. All that said, in a flat cap world I would have liked it more for a nice round number like 4 million per. We are talking about a guy in Murphy that generates very little offense (even with a slight uptick in historical norms in that past couple shorten seasons). I don't hate the deal, but I don't love it either. Hopefully things rebound and the cap start to creep up again and this deal looks a little better by the time we get to far into it.
Not every D needs to provide offense... that's not his style. He's a defensive D. One of your shutdown guys. You have other offensive D to handle that load. Any complaining about this signing is complaining just to complain.

Reactions: JLarucci23

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Not every D needs to provide offense... that's not his style. He's a defensive D. One of your shutdown guys. You have other offensive D to handle that load. Any complaining about this signing is complaining just to complain.

So explain why I should be happy about we just handed the right handed Jake McCabe (both are limited offensively with almost identical .22 points per game over large sample sizes....but pretty solid defensive D men) a contract at 10% more then McCabe's contract where the ink is barely dry? I say all that where I do really like both McCabe and Murphy as players and a team with both of them can be very good.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
So explain why I should be happy about we just handed the right handed Jake McCabe (both are limited offensively with almost identical .22 points per game over large sample sizes....but pretty solid defensive D men) a contract at 10% more then McCabe's contract where the ink is barely dry? I say all that where I do really like both McCabe and Murphy as players and a team with both of them can be very good.

Genuinely asking: has Jones ever played with a partner who was as good or close to as good defensively as he is?

Maybe the thought is to find a guy to take some defensive pressure off of Jones to open up his offensive game a bit.

Nothing wrong with McCabe on the top pairing in that role IMO and same exact thing with Murphy if you can find the right partner to play that role for him.

Reactions: JLarucci23

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

One is coming of ACL surgery and the other is not.

Reactions: MileHighHawksFan

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Murphy is not good enough to play top pair minutes. I agree with the premise that he is worth a million bucks less than his contract but Hawks are rather desperate for his experience. They need him and need him healthy.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Genuinely asking: has Jones ever played with a partner who was as good or close to as good defensively as he is?

Maybe the thought is to find a guy to take some defensive pressure off of Jones to open up his offensive game a bit.

Nothing wrong with McCabe on the top pairing in that role IMO and same exact thing with Murphy if you can find the right partner to play that role for him.

I do not disagree with you in the least as far as abilities or potential role. My crazy dream is Beaudin takes a big step forward and makes an ideal partner with Murphy where their strengths and weakness compliment each other well. I am also eager to see McCabe and Jones paired as that too could be a really good fit.

My issue is what in Murphy's resume compared to McCabe's makes him worth 10% more in value? Both are the same guy....limited (not terrible, but limited) offensively with nearly identical .22 points per game and pretty strong on the defensive side of the puck. One guy just signed from another team as a UFA (typically meaning you pay a bit of a premeum) and the other is an extension with a year of contract left.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Murphy is not good enough to play top pair minutes. I agree with the premise that he is worth a million bucks less than his contract but Hawks are rather desperate for his experience. They need him and need him healthy.

Name me second pair D in the NHL who make 3m/season. Murphy isn't going to be playing top pair minutes, more than likely. I would think that will land on McCabe and Jones. Top pair D make anywhere from 6-10m, depending where they sit in the rankings of the top 64 D in the NHL...

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I do not disagree with you in the least as far as abilities or potential role. My crazy dream is Beaudin takes a big step forward and makes an ideal partner with Murphy where their strengths and weakness compliment each other well. I am also eager to see McCabe and Jones paired as that too could be a really good fit.

My issue is what in Murphy's resume compared to McCabe's makes him worth 10% more in value? Both are the same guy....limited (not terrible, but limited) offensively with nearly identical .22 points per game and pretty strong on the defensive side of the puck. One guy just signed from another team as a UFA (typically meaning you pay a bit of a premeum) and the other is an extension with a year of contract left.

McCabe is coming off ACL surgery. Murphy isn't. He missed 30 games in 2018-2019, just 8-10 the year prior, and like 6 last year. Say what you want about his back issues, but Murphy has only missed about 60 or so games in his entire 8 year career.

See above.

Reactions: Brightwing

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Name me second pair D in the NHL who make 3m/season. Murphy isn't going to be playing top pair minutes, more than likely. I would think that will land on McCabe and Jones. Top pair D make anywhere from 6-10m, depending where they sit in the rankings of the top 64 D in the NHL...
I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make but I do think Murphy is overrated on this board.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I was pro consider trading Muprhy, but with this being a good deal under the max I would want him extended or paid. He's what 32/33 at deals end. Typically defensive dmen are breaking down then so maybe the final year he'll be bad but still a solid extension.

I hope which could happen is Murphy thrives being behind a #1 RHD in Jones.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make but I do think Murphy is overrated on this site.

The point I'm making is that Murphy is paid probably league average for 2nd pair D with that new contract. There aren't many 2nd pair D you'll see making less than 4-5m. And think what you want, he's still a very good 2nd pair, shut-down defender, and 4m/season is more than fair for that.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The point I'm making is that Murphy is paid probably league average for 2nd pair D with that new contract. There aren't many 2nd pair D you'll see making less than 4-5m. And think what you want, he's still a very good 2nd pair, shut-down defender, and 4m/season is more than fair for that.
IMO, Murphy would be a 5th or 6th Dman on a better team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad