MultiVersus

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Apparently this entire project can be traced back to the origin of that Super Saiyan Shaggy meme that popped up a couple years ago.

That is absolutely hilarious if that's actually true. What an incredibly dumb, yet somehow also incredibly intriguing idea

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
One of the rumoured DLC characters is LeBron James.
no-hard-pass.gif

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
My gaming time right now is being consumed by the new Xenoblade game but I will say this seems like a pretty solid platform fighter from the little time I played it.

Positives:
-The animations/voicework/overall look and presentation is well done.
-Full multiplatform support is appreciated.
-It is free to play with no pay to win mechanics.
-It's a solid platform fighter.

Negatives:
-I don't care for the perk system. I guess some of the major character ones could be interesting decisions like trading power for speed, etc. But it just seems like busy work for a game that should be mostly skill based.(My opinion might change when I get more playtime in though)
-2v2 mode being the main mode doesn't interest me a lot. Like, if I was playing a friend I could see myself having a ton of fun playing. Playing with randoms online just seems too chaotic though.
-Of course some cosmetic DLC prices do seem pretty high... I really don't know what the best approach when it comes to this. I guess if you could afford it and you love the game, yeah sure go ahead spend a couple hundred dollars but that always strike me as wrong...

Neutrals/Worries:
-I'm never going to have time for the battlepass systems in these games, so that's just a bunch of noise to me.
-I'm concerned that the perk system could be a way of introducing some pay to win mechanics later.
-Obviously balancing is always something that's going to need working through... I hope the dev team will make the right decisions. (I'm worried they might go too nerf heavy for example, when that happens it makes games feel boring to me)

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I will say this, as a game trying to mimic the Smash formula, this is the closest one has come to being really good.

Easy to pick up and play, adds its own twist on the formula by getting rid of shielding and grabbing and has roster potential that's much, much deeper than Nintendo given the sheer amount of shit Warner owns.

There is some absolutely horrendous issues with hitboxes and attack priority but apparently they're already working on a big overhaul that should be ready at some point after EVO.

Here's hoping because the potential is absolutely there. It hits the perfect sweetspot between casual and competitive that no other smashlike has been able to do until this one.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
No one has been able to do it as well as Smash Bro's. I'll give it a shot i'm sure but expectations are lowered

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
The game is fun when it works but the netcode is terrible. I have 15 hours in it and the last 5 hours or so got worse and worse until I just uninstalled it. I'll come back to it down the line but it is unfortunately not worth the frustration in its current state.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Honestly not a bad alternative to smash

Will get better as they add nee characters but damn the matchmaking sometimes

I try out a new character in like my 5th ever game and face two weenies stacking level 15+ superman

Reactions: John Price
Sep 19, 2008
Honestly not a bad alternative to smash

Will get better as they add nee characters but damn the matchmaking sometimes

I try out a new character in like my 5th ever game and face two weenies stacking level 15+ superman
Yeah it sucks. Sometimes you get lucky though. I matched up against 2 level 1 reindogs and they still won 1 round lol. Think I won in 3

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Not a fan honestly, but then again I never got into games like smash either. I gave it a try, but I just couldn't get into it. Those that enjoy it, have fun with it, but it is just not my cup of tea.

Sep 19, 2008
Not a fan honestly, but then again I never got into games like smash either. I gave it a try, but I just couldn't get into it. Those that enjoy it, have fun with it, but it is just not my cup of tea.
This was the first fighting game I've played and it really was fun. I had never been a fan of smash bros either but something about this game is pretty exciting. Maybe it's the grinding game. Every 3-ring out situation (when both teams have 3) seems like sudden death ot in hockey lol

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I'm a massive Smash fan who still plays it regularly, but this hasn't appealed to me. The focus on 2v2 really kills it for me, I just don't find it nearly as entertaining to watch or play. And apparently the 1v1 is pretty bad, the games completely balanced around teams.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
jfc ever since the update, every god damn Iron Giant just bodies

tosses everyone around and the damage is whack

basically feel like quitting right away whenever I see a level 10+ Iron Giant or Arya Stark on the other team

Sep 19, 2008
jfc ever since the update, every god damn Iron Giant just bodies

tosses everyone around and the damage is whack

basically feel like quitting right away whenever I see a level 10+ Iron Giant or Arya Stark on the other team
yeah im' uppercutting the whole time and that thing goes from 105 dmg to 15 :laugh:

gotta keep at it

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Didn't love it when I played with friends a couple weeks back, it's just a shittier Smash (which we all know) and I never cared for that game either. Perks seem like they're overcomplicating something that is supposed to be simple. One thing I did like, if I'm remembering correctly, was that if there were multiple people playing the same character they really made yours stand out.

I'm sure my friend group will play this from time to time, but we won't play it with regularity.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah the more i played it the more i appreciate the 20+ years of tweaking/fine tuning that got smash to where it is today.

Game shouldn't have launched with the pisspoor hitboxes and servers it has.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Who do you guys typically fight as? I usually use Bugs or Superman, but I want to try out more, trying to decide who to buy though

Sep 19, 2008
Who do you guys typically fight as? I usually use Bugs or Superman, but I want to try out more, trying to decide who to buy though
Take advantage of the characters in the free rotations, as mentioned Morty is free and Iron Giant for now.

Honstly I would buy Harley and Garnet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad