Speculation: Much Ado About Kovy: Staying in Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I'd love to know the demands also. I'm glad the devils at stuck to their guns. More then prepared to get nothing for him. WHy should we help another team if they were giving us scraps?

I do think he signs in nyr next year but that contract will be guaranteed good luck with that

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Kovy could've just as easily stayed in Russia and not even tried this year. We'd be in the same boat. I'd rather Shero aim for the fences (espc with a divisional team) than take a crap return. He wouldnt win in that situation. He'd get castrated by fans of other teams for taking such a crap return and half of our fans would say it was not enough.

Would those that are saying "Boo hoo nothing for Kovy, what a failure" be saying that if we shipped him to Columbus or the Rangers of all places for 3 years for a 4th round pick? Until we know the offers that were on the table, I take Ray's side. It also takes two to tango if Kovy was picky over contracts from other teams that were potentially offering more in trade return.

We had the best draft on paper that we've had in probably a decade +. We acquired MoJo for two picks that Ray picked up for Lou and taking the Savard contract. We made a smart signing by bringing in Boyle. We jettisoned a bunch of useless crap and have a crop of young players that could make this team really exciting in the coming year. Its also only July 4th.

The expansion draft circus didn't happen. Kovalchuk is an *******. Shattenkirk was always a pipe dream. It's not the end of the world.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Not really as high on him as you apparently are. Wouldn't call a 2 and a 3 pennies in a good draft year when we have zero defensive prospects also.

We got a 26 year old legitimate top 6 forward for Graham Black, PauL Thomspon, and Lou Lamoriello leaving.

that is a steal. There is no debate to be had.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Not really as high on him as you apparently are. Wouldn't call a 2 and a 3 pennies in a good draft year when we have zero defensive prospects also.

They were pennies considering how they were acquired. And I'm sorry but a mid 20s forward who is coming off a strong year is easily worth that cost. It's universal that we stole MoJo. Strong draft doesn't mean its drafted well.

Its the biggest steal made by any team the entire offseason so far.

Adelais

Jun 6, 2017
I just don't get why Kovalchuk couldn't have just played 1 year for us though

Kind of makes me sad, I think he would have done well

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
We got a 26 year old legitimate top 6 forward for Graham Black, PauL Thomspon, and Lou Lamoriello leaving.

that is a steal. There is no debate to be had.

Johansson seems like a complimentary forward who's numbers were inflated on an offensively stacked team. Lets see how he does playing with old man Zajac and Nick Lappin.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Johansson seems like a complimentary forward who's numbers were inflated on an offensively stacked team. Lets see how he does playing with old man Zajac and Nick Lappin.

what the hell does that even mean?

Nick Lappin is going to be in the AHL so I don't even know what point youre trying to make.

MarJo's ES points/60 are in line with a bunch of really good players. He is unquestionably a top 6 player that we got for literally nothing.

Some of you guys will never be happy

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ

He wasn't coming over here to play with us for one year. He either was taking the money in Russia or the cup chance here. I could have lived with a small return for him from a western conference team. If it was the Rangers only I'm thrilled Ready said something big or you don't get him.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

This is what I don't get. He could've played here until the deadline and we ship him to a contender.

People will say it's the money he wants. Well I'm sure he would've gotten x amount for us and then teams would've been waiting next year to sign him up if he had a radulov type year.

Now? Questions will only mount about his game and being on a guarantee contract will only compound teams wanting to stay away.

So it really doesn't make sense why he wouldn't be play here for half a year. Only way I should that the devils didnt want him here for that half a year.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Main board yesterday:
Kovy is old KHLer, worth nothing

Main board today:
Shero so dumb for letting ultra-valuable Kovy get away

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
what the hell does that even mean?

Nick Lappin is going to be in the AHL so I don't even know what point youre trying to make.

MarJo's ES points/60 are in line with a bunch of really good players. He is unquestionably a top 6 player that we got for literally nothing.

Some of you guys will never be happy
Some of these posters would rather return to 2013/14 where we had Lou running the roster and prospect pool into the ground and Vanderbeek being brankrupt while the arena started to fall apart due to a lack of maintenance. Glory days. :laugh:

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
Shero must have been getting awful offers for Kovy's services ... don't blame him a bit for not accepting trash.

On a conference call on Sunday, Shero said he did not want to be an “impediment†to Kovalchuk returning to the NHL but, at the same time, added he would not accept “pennies on the dollar†in any potential trade.

http://www.northjersey.com/story/sp...ovalchuk-remain-russia-next-season/450300001/

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
This is what I don't get. He could've played here until the deadline and we ship him to a contender.

People will say it's the money he wants. Well I'm sure he would've gotten x amount for us and then teams would've been waiting next year to sign him up if he had a radulov type year.

Now? Questions will only mount about his game and being on a guarantee contract will only compound teams wanting to stay away.

So it really doesn't make sense why he wouldn't be play here for half a year. Only way I should that the devils didnt want him here for that half a year.

He doesn't want to play here. Not for one year, not until the trade deadline, not one game. It was sign and trade or bust.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Shocker lol. One of two things here. This was all a show to simply milk more money from ska or Ray was getting low balled left and right. If so, why bother making the competition stronger only to get pennies in return? Let him rot in Russia for another year. Just glad to finally be done with this bull ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad