bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
What are the current shortcomings?

- Capacity is low and cannot be increased much if at all
- Fit and finish is rather lacking but this can be improved
- Seats are old but will be changed in the summer
- Only a semi-modern design when it was built (no open concourse due to footprint requirements)
- Doesn't have that "flair" that many modern arenas have
- I've heard the team facilities are rather lacking
- Ice has always been an issue, but has improved

Do any of these justify building a new arena? Is there anything else I'm missing?

Short of major structural issues that cannot be fixed I doubt we will be getting a new arena before 2040ish. Winnipeggers just don't need a fancy one like many to the south. TNSE is going to ride this building as long as they possibly can. It's not fancy, but the "core" product is very good like sightlines, acoustics, logistics, customer flow in out and around, etc.. there's no major shortcomings like the old winnipeg arena had.

I could be wrong but i believe that the team facilities are to be renovated in the coming years.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
I'm surprised by this point new sporting venues in particular aren't designed to be easily upgradeable or at least maintainable. Pending any major change to how games are marketed (aren't the idea of luxury suites, 'game-side bars', etc relatively new - 1980s/1990s?) it should be possible to make the building work for a long time to come no?

I know its impossible to predict and I'm FAR from having any knowledge in the area of engineering / construction but how much can really change by this point? Mainly hoping for discussion on this because the MTS Centre is in the perfect place right now and I hope (if there are) any 'future-proofing' measures that exist they would have been incorporated from the start.

If what I'm saying is entirely ridiculous from a construction / science stand point - what kind of things kill buildings like this and make it so new buildings are often necessary? And what factors could do that to the MTS Centre in particular?

May be oversimplification, but where is the motivation to plan this when in most cases substantial public financing builds these new arenas.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
What are the current shortcomings?

- Capacity is low and cannot be increased much if at all
- Fit and finish is rather lacking but this can be improved
- Seats are old but will be changed in the summer
- Only a semi-modern design when it was built (no open concourse due to footprint requirements)
- Doesn't have that "flair" that many modern arenas have
- I've heard the team facilities are rather lacking
- Ice has always been an issue, but has improved

Do any of these justify building a new arena? Is there anything else I'm missing?

Short of major structural issues that cannot be fixed I doubt we will be getting a new arena before 2040ish. Winnipeggers just don't need a fancy one like many to the south. TNSE is going to ride this building as long as they possibly can. It's not fancy, but the "core" product is very good like sightlines, acoustics, logistics, customer flow in out and around, etc.. there's no major shortcomings like the old winnipeg arena had.

Why is this still brought up? It was designed from day one for an NHL team and that's how big they wanted it. Another poor year like this and we'll have trouble filling 15,000 nevermind anything larger.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Why is this still brought up? It was designed from day one for an NHL team and that's how big they wanted it. Another poor year like this and we'll have trouble filling 15,000 nevermind anything larger.

What are you talking about....The building is sold out for years to come...and with thousands willing to take the seat of anyone who leaves.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
People were giving tickets away this year because they couldn't sell them, incase you were oblivious.

Yeah, giving away tickets that they already paid for. If people want to pay for tickets and not use them or give them away that's their choice. The Jets don't care because the seats are all paid for. There could be no one attending a game and it's still a sellout, which is seats sold.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
How hard would it be to add another 1500 seats to the MTS Center? It seems the extra revenue might help TNSE spend a bit more

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Yeah, giving away tickets that they already paid for. If people want to pay for tickets and not use them or give them away that's their choice. The Jets don't care because the seats are all paid for. There could be no one attending a game and it's still a sellout, which is seats sold.

Giving away tickets because they can't sell them.... that's a bit different. That's telling a story of what's to come.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
How hard would it be to add another 1500 seats to the MTS Center? It seems the extra revenue might help TNSE spend a bit more

Let's add 10,000 and make even more revenue!!!!
It's not as simple as adding seats making more money, I don't understand why this is so hard to grasp.

The MTS Centre was designed for an NHL team from the start and they wanted it at 15,000. The whole point of it is to keep the demand up for decades to come. The team was terrible this year. People were trying to sell their tickets like crazy. People are going to cry and not want to hear it, but Winnipeg is a small market that can't afford to have a bad team. Look at Toronto, Edmonton, etc. Bad year after year but have no issues with attendance. Here we are only a few years in and one really bad season and people are trying to get rid of their tickets. Winnpeggers simply can't afford to pay $100+ every game, and simply won't when the team is terrible. A few terrible seasons and we'd be in a lot of trouble. Step back as a Jets fan for just one second, and see the reality of it.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Let's add 10,000 and make even more revenue!!!!
It's not as simple as adding seats making more money, I don't understand why this is so hard to grasp.

The MTS Centre was designed for an NHL team from the start and they wanted it at 15,000. The whole point of it is to keep the demand up for decades to come. The team was terrible this year. People were trying to sell their tickets like crazy. People are going to cry and not want to hear it, but Winnipeg is a small market that can't afford to have a bad team. Look at Toronto, Edmonton, etc. Bad year after year but have no issues with attendance. Here we are only a few years in and one really bad season and people are trying to get rid of their tickets. Winnpeggers simply can't afford to pay $100+ every game, and simply won't when the team is terrible. A few terrible seasons and we'd be in a lot of trouble. Step back as a Jets fan for just one second, and see the reality of it.

The "reality" is that all renewals including P1 and P2's this season renews at a rate of around 97%. The ones that didn't renew went to wait list and were scooped up instantly. Meaning that 13000 seats will b sold for every game for the foreseeable future. That's not really an impending crisis.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
The "reality" is that all renewals including P1 and P2's this season renews at a rate of around 97%. The ones that didn't renew went to wait list and were scooped up instantly. Meaning that 13000 seats will b sold for every game for the foreseeable future. That's not really an impending crisis.

The 'reality' of it, which I stated, is give it a few more bad seasons and see what happens. Luckily I don't think we'll see that issue any time soon though. Winnipeg is not a huge city and Winnipeg is cheap, that's the truth. If it's not a winning team, people aren't going to spend money. Look at the Bombers, brand new stadium and people have already stopped going.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
The 'reality' of it, which I stated, is give it a few more bad seasons and see what happens. Luckily I don't think we'll see that issue any time soon though. Winnipeg is not a huge city and Winnipeg is cheap, that's the truth. If it's not a winning team, people aren't going to spend money. Look at the Bombers, brand new stadium and people have already stopped going.

Bombers don't have the same following as the Jets, especially among youth. A lot of businesses own tickets and a lot of people share tickets. It's a long winter here and even going to watch a bad team with hope for the future is better than most other option. That's just my opinion.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

I'm talking about the future not now. Do you not think they could've used the extra revenue in the first four years? Extra revenue for four years is more important than achieving 100% sellouts in year 5. AFAIK the seats are all sold, just some STHs had to eat tickets.

The NHL may in the future also say we need to address it. They're doing that right now in Calgary. No all star games or drafts until they get a new arena.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

By the time the revenue from those seats surpassed the cost of constructing them they'd probably be looking at building a new arena.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
They want to replace the Saddledome. It certainly doesn't need replacing.

I went to a game there a month ago. I thought the facility was great - very unique. Other than the crazy high seats we were sitting in on the sides - which prevented us from seeing the scoreboard.

Holy **** you're kidding? That place is a **** hole.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Yeah, CFL, NHL, same diff.

What are you on about?

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
The agreement True North signed with the province and the city for the annual subsidies is 25 years in length. Expect negotiations for a new arena to begin near the end of that agreement around 2035 or so.

I like the arena but there are several flaws including:

1. Seats and legroom are too narrow. It is becoming increasingly difficult to bring consumers out of their living rooms with all the creature comforts of home and large high-definition TVs. Yes, this can even happen with sports locals are enamored with. MTS Centre has 17-inch standard seats and 19-inch club seats while the normal standard is 19 and 21-inches. This cannot be alleviated by any other means than a new arena unless one is willing to reduce capacity by 1500 or so to accommodate larger seats. That is not an option given the small capacity of the arena.

2. Both the lower bowl and upper bowl concourse are too narrow (despite expansion of the upper bowl). This problem cannot be alleviated in the lower bowl and may only be alleviated in the upper bowl at great expense (cantilvering for the upper bowl?)

3. The lower bowl is too small. It only seats 8,000 and the standard for arenas with professional hockey teams is 9000 - 10,000. Having more seats in the lower bowl ultimately means greater revenues as the bulk of the gate comes from the lower bowl and suites. Those extra 1000-1500 seats would provide the club with a substantial influx of cash. The small footprint of the site did not allow for a larger lower bowl.

4. High-end seating options (not including suites here) have various flaws. All the club seats are behind the net. I imagine people spending money for this "premium" option) might get a little tired of the long-term prospect of having to spend every single year behind the net with the most expensive tickets in the building while club seat holders in nearly every other building in the NHL have the option of purchasing seats between the goal lines. The loge seats, as has been mentioned here many times were a poorly executed add-on to the MTS Centre that has detracted from the views of thousands of people in the upper deck. It would ideal if these loge seats had their own separate level in the arena (like the new Oilers arena) or were located at the top of the lower bowl (as in several NHL arenas). Again this cannot be accomplished at MTS Centre due to the footprint of the building itself.

5. Low number of loge and club seating. This is a bit of a carry-over from my last point. Only 250 or so loge seats and only 1000 or so seats for club seating. This may be fine for now...or maybe not, but I am positive it won't be fine a few decades from now. Only one club...behind the net. Virtually every other new arena has two or three club options and nearly double the club seats. This applies to the loges. Newer arenas typically have double the loges.

5. Player locker rooms and facilities. Probably the most meagre of any of the "newer" NHL arenas in the league.

6. Concession points of sale. Probably the fewest in the league outside a few of the older arenas. This despite improvements to the upper concourse. Long lineups cost the team money as people are discouraged to spend money if they miss a substantial portion of the game for which they dearly paid.

There are probably a few more flaws with the building but these are the ones that most immediately come to my mind.

Winnipeg and Manitoba are growing at a steady if unspectacular pace. The province has grown by nearly 75,000 since the Jets arrived, two-thirds of which is in Winnipeg and almost all of which resides in southern Manitoba. If this steady growth continues for the next two decades, we should expect to experience another increase of 300,000 in the province.

While I realize the population growth of this province is entirely derived from international immigration from mostly non-hockey-loving countries, I would think some of the newly christened Manitobans would latch on to hockey as their spectator sport of choice, not to mention their children who will have grown up in the culture which embraces hockey as its number one sport. I believe the demand will be there for a larger arena, with more high end options and various other additions that might not exist with current arenas but may become commonplace within a few decades.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I love posts that constructively add to a debate ^^^^^^^^^^

Well done blueandgoldguy

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

What will happen... sellout after sellout with ST renewals in the 95% range for a very long time. The Jets are in a unique situation because of the multi-year commitments that people have to do. The season ticket renewal performance has nothing to do with the on-ice performance.

Now, it might be totally different if the Jets allowed annual ST renewals, but they don't.

As far as the arena, yes there are issues, but I don't see a new arena even being talked about for at least another 20 years or more. And even then, 20 years from now it will cost close to a billion dollars, and if half that money has to come from the taxpayers...you can put the stop on that right then and there. There is no stomach for large outlays of taxpayer funds for arenas these days and I don't see that changing in this province anytime soon... not with all the other issues that need to be dealt with. Most people see arenas as a luxury item, not a necessity. When TNSE does decide to go to the public kitty to get a new arena, I think they will have a good fight on their hands.

Last edited:

Peter Tagli Eddie

All 3 of them?
Apr 14, 2009
The agreement True North signed with the province and the city for the annual subsidies is 25 years in length. Expect negotiations for a new arena to begin near the end of that agreement around 2035 or so.

I like the arena but there are several flaws including:

1. Seats and legroom are too narrow. It is becoming increasingly difficult to bring consumers out of their living rooms with all the creature comforts of home and large high-definition TVs. Yes, this can even happen with sports locals are enamored with. MTS Centre has 17-inch standard seats and 19-inch club seats while the normal standard is 19 and 21-inches. This cannot be alleviated by any other means than a new arena unless one is willing to reduce capacity by 1500 or so to accommodate larger seats. That is not an option given the small capacity of the arena.

2. Both the lower bowl and upper bowl concourse are too narrow (despite expansion of the upper bowl). This problem cannot be alleviated in the lower bowl and may only be alleviated in the upper bowl at great expense (cantilvering for the upper bowl?)

3. The lower bowl is too small. It only seats 8,000 and the standard for arenas with professional hockey teams is 9000 - 10,000. Having more seats in the lower bowl ultimately means greater revenues as the bulk of the gate comes from the lower bowl and suites. Those extra 1000-1500 seats would provide the club with a substantial influx of cash. The small footprint of the site did not allow for a larger lower bowl.

4. High-end seating options (not including suites here) have various flaws. All the club seats are behind the net. I imagine people spending money for this "premium" option) might get a little tired of the long-term prospect of having to spend every single year behind the net with the most expensive tickets in the building while club seat holders in nearly every other building in the NHL have the option of purchasing seats between the goal lines. The loge seats, as has been mentioned here many times were a poorly executed add-on to the MTS Centre that has detracted from the views of thousands of people in the upper deck. It would ideal if these loge seats had their own separate level in the arena (like the new Oilers arena) or were located at the top of the lower bowl (as in several NHL arenas). Again this cannot be accomplished at MTS Centre due to the footprint of the building itself.

5. Low number of loge and club seating. This is a bit of a carry-over from my last point. Only 250 or so loge seats and only 1000 or so seats for club seating. This may be fine for now...or maybe not, but I am positive it won't be fine a few decades from now. Only one club...behind the net. Virtually every other new arena has two or three club options and nearly double the club seats. This applies to the loges. Newer arenas typically have double the loges.

5. Player locker rooms and facilities. Probably the most meagre of any of the "newer" NHL arenas in the league.

6. Concession points of sale. Probably the fewest in the league outside a few of the older arenas. This despite improvements to the upper concourse. Long lineups cost the team money as people are discouraged to spend money if they miss a substantial portion of the game for which they dearly paid.

There are probably a few more flaws with the building but these are the ones that most immediately come to my mind.

Winnipeg and Manitoba are growing at a steady if unspectacular pace. The province has grown by nearly 75,000 since the Jets arrived, two-thirds of which is in Winnipeg and almost all of which resides in southern Manitoba. If this steady growth continues for the next two decades, we should expect to experience another increase of 300,000 in the province.

While I realize the population growth of this province is entirely derived from international immigration from mostly non-hockey-loving countries, I would think some of the newly christened Manitobans would latch on to hockey as their spectator sport of choice, not to mention their children who will have grown up in the culture which embraces hockey as its number one sport. I believe the demand will be there for a larger arena, with more high end options and various other additions that might not exist with current arenas but may become commonplace within a few decades.

Very good post. My two biggest complaints are the narrowness of the seats (especially w/ a winter jacket on) and the the main concourse size (points 1 & 2).

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
People were giving tickets away this year because they couldn't sell them, incase you were oblivious.

As long as people renew their ST's what difference does the vibrance of the resale market have on the team?

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
yeah i think we're several renewal cycles away from the ST market potentially drying up, and that's assuming the wait list is static which it won't be (maybe just won't grow as quick)

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
I second the plan for getting rid of Portage Place....whether or not we replace it with a new Arena.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad