GDT: MTL @ WAS 7PM - Unleash the MEH

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Teams with a strong offense have players that move into, and out of, the right spots on the ice quickly, and move the puck quickly from those spots to the net with purpose (shoot to score or create a rebound or tip) or to another player that has moved to an even better spots attack-wise.

So you need a scheme that identifies where and how those spots are likely to emerge, players with enough offensive instincts to see those spots when they emerge, and that get there in a quick and timely way, and then to do something positive in a quick way.

You need players with good offensive instincts and players who are quick. The Caps today have a few players with decent offensive instincts - Ovie, Max, Mantha, Carlson, Oshie - but who are either not quick, slow, or actual boat anchors. They are rarely able to create space for themselves and are mostly reliant on D miscues and breakdowns - e.g. Ovi being left wide open last night was a gift (though Strome made a great pass from a danger spot). And when they do get to the right spot, they often lack the quickness needed to heighten danger for the opponent

There are a couple of guys who are quick but have few offensive instincts - Milano, Fever. And then there is everybody else who are neither quick nor gifted with offensive instincts, with the exception of maybe Strome and Sandin.

I don’t see how this is on Carbs. They won earlier in the year playing Hunter Hockey and having Lindgren play like 2012 Holtby. It’s a hard way to play, not much fun, and as soon as the run of success stopped the olds threw in the towel because they’re not used to playing as hard without the puck or on the D side of the ice as they do in the O zone.

As long as the team continues to be structured to have its offense run thru guys who are old and slow (or worse) - and now, no longer committed to playing a 200 foot game and clinging to the delusion that their previously successful way of playing can work again even though they are older and slower and less skilled - it’s going to be like this.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Out of touch with the modern no hit league

How many consecutive losses before a line brawl? I think our situation calls for a Hanlon grade chicken dance. Next guy to take a big run at one of our stars may incur the wrath of a pissed off team.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
The roster is severely flawed and I don’t really want to put any blame on HCSC yet…. But man.. they are playing worse than their skill level. The offensive schemes and pressures are awful and have not improved at all. They lack any cohesiveness, no details, they miss the easy plays.

IMO it's just plain sloppy. Our guys are missing on passes that ought to be easy connections.

But yeah I agree, it's partially the system. The Capitals main outlet sequence is someone battles along the board and then kicks the puck out to another player who skates it out of the zone. The Canadiens were reading that play and clogging it up all night. Carbery needs an answer for that.

Last edited:

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Every loss is a good loss imo. Love the Caps, time to build it back up again.

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
I don’t think anyone is without fault. But the roster is so flawed in my opinion that no coach can get this team to win. We have a bottom 5 roster in talent. So not sure what people expect.
While certainly not elite, I actually think we have a relatively good amount of talent. Our goaltending and defense aren't terrible and we DO have some wingers who can put the puck in the net. The biggest problem is that there is a giant gaping black hole at center. The Caps rolled the dice on Kuznetszov and Backstrom regaining form and got snake eyes. The absence of a speedy playmaker up the middle that drives the play has absolutely tanked our offense this year. GMBM has to bring in a player or Carbery needs to adjust his system somehow. Either of those will likely be difficult.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
While certainly not elite, I actually think we have a relatively good amount of talent. Our goaltending and defense aren't terrible and we DO have some wingers who can put the puck in the net. The biggest problem is that there is a giant gaping black hole at center. The Caps rolled the dice on Kuznetszov and Backstrom regaining form and got snake eyes. The absence of a speedy playmaker up the middle that drives the play has absolutely tanked our offense this year. GMBM has to bring in a player or Carbery needs to adjust his system somehow. Either of those will likely be difficult.
I respect your opinion but could not disagree more. We have one, maybe two people who would play on a second line for most teams. We have zero that would play on a top line. Our best forward line all year has been our 4th line. That adds up to really really bad forwards.

On D we have no #1 and arguably not even a strong #2. We have a ton of #5/6 D and some #7/8 who are playing in the top 6.

Our main starting G sucks and our backup has played very well but not sure how sustainable his play is.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I respect your opinion but could not disagree more. We have one, maybe two people who would play on a second line for most teams. We have zero that would play on a top line. Our best forward line all year has been our 4th line. That adds up to really really bad forwards.

On D we have no #1 and arguably not even a strong #2. We have a ton of #5/6 D and some #7/8 who are playing in the top 6.

Our main starting G sucks and our backup has played very well but not sure how sustainable his play is.
He’s not wrong….add 2 good players at C and this is probably a playoff team if healthy. Carlson is serviceable as a 1d, the others as slotted. The black hole at C affects all phases of the team. The rest isn’t terrible at full strength.

$17 mil in cap space…..poof…..

Reactions: TheSmokingMan

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
He’s not wrong….add 2 good players at C and this is probably a playoff team if healthy. Carlson is serviceable as a 1d, the others as slotted. The black hole at C affects all phases of the team. The rest isn’t terrible at full strength.

$17 mil in cap space…..poof…..
Maybe, but that’s a big if. We have no centers so it’s hard to expect the coach to win when the rest your roster is average at best.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Who are you talking to right now? The poster you quoted said nothing about the coaching.

You really seem to be struggling with the caps' decline in play. You may need professional help - a therapist may be able to help sort through your frustrations.
Lol, commenting on BM being trash since his first season is needing help? It’s an observation, hardly a temper tantrum or indicative of mental health issues. And I never said that poster mentioned coaching, I was explaining to him why I mentioned BM since he joined in the criticism. The indignant responses like I said something about their sisters is more indicative of people perhaps needing a mental health break. But thank you for your medical advice, doctor.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
Lol, commenting on BM being trash since his first season is needing help? It’s an observation, hardly a temper tantrum or indicative of mental health issues. And I never said that poster mentioned coaching, I was explaining to him why I mentioned BM since he joined in the criticism. The indignant responses like I said something about their sisters is more indicative of people perhaps needing a mental health break. But thank you for your medical advice, doctor.
You were and are talking to yourself. Get help.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
You were and are talking to yourself. Get help.
Well seeing that you responded, I would beg to differ. I hope going with personal insults helps you make up for the bullying you experienced in your childhood. I’m glad you found your online gang.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad