Confirmed Trade: [MTL/TOR] Plekanec (50%), Baun for Valiev, Rychel, 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
It will take him a bit of time to understand he doesn't want the Leafs to lose. Right now, it's still instinct... do things to make the Leafs lose. Can't blame the lad.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I'm curious, as a proponent of defense by committee, I was interested in Petry and the package for Plekanec ended up similar to what I was wondering whether it would work for Petry. I was thinking Nielsen or Valiev plus a 2nd and 4th 2019. Wondering if that would have worked?

That wouldn't have worked or even been close to enough in my opinion.

Petry is worth considerably more than Plekanec. I thought, if there was a bidding war, they could get a 2nd rounder for Plekanec with retention. I'm not sure if there were any other teams bidding, but they managed to get that 2nd rounder plus a couple of AHL pieces that may or may not provide some depth to the NHL club.

But Petry is a lot more valuable, signed to a decent contract and would have cost considerably more to acquire.

That being said, I think you are right, he'd have been an excellent addition to Toronto.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
IMO, this trade looks better and better as the day goes on.

Agreed. Initially I hated it because I didn't think we needed an upgrade in our 4th line C role, but that's probably just me not knowing Plekanec's game that well. The more I look at it, the more I realize he brings a lot more to the table than Moore and that's worth a 2nd rounder. Adds a bit of insurance in case of injuries as well. Rychel and Valiev, while both well above average AHL players, had pretty much zero shot of ever cracking the Leafs' roster so I don't really consider them a loss at all.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
QFT.

While you obviously cannot go back in time, it's interesting to note that in the last 2 seasons, the Leafs have departed with pair of 2nd rounders, plus whatever draft pick value Rychel and Valiev may have had; for short term solutions at 4th line C for 2 years.

Last year I get, as it was important for the team to get playoff experience... but this year, given the moves that everyone else made, I can't help but wonder if this move realistically gives us any better chance of beating Boston or Tampa in the first 2 rounds.

I don't get this mindset when it comes to the NHL playoffs. Other sports like basketball where upsets are few and far between, sure. But hockey? It's not that far off from a coin flip once you get in. I can't remember the last year where things went as expected. Here's how the last 6 years of cup finals have went down:

East seed vs West seed
2017: 2nd vs 8th
2016: 2nd vs 6th
2015: 3rd vs 4th
2014: 5th vs 6th
2013: 4th vs 1st
2012: 6th vs 8th

How much history do we need to be convinced the Leafs have a legit shot at winning? They're not some garbage team just squeezing in. They're sitting in 2nd right now (realistically 3rd after you factor in Boston's games in hand). It's hockey....the game is filled with so much parity that things rarely go as expected and as you can see from the above list, the best teams on paper more often than not bow out earlier than expected.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Well actually im wrong. The times you do notice him are when he kills the offense.

This is why he got constantly ripped on on the Habs board. Fans tend to get more excited when the game is in the offensive zone and whenever Pleks touches the puck there it kills the excitement, sadly that's when he gets noticed the most. Too bad because he is always doing excellent job defensively.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
It was his first game and was against Tampa! Geez, you people need to stop nitpicking! Wait till playoffs that is where it really counts! What did you expect a Gordie Howe hat-trick in his first game?

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Dude took 2 penalties, one with under 4 minutes to go in a tied game while doing absolutely nothing positive throughout the entire game. Ya, we expected better.

Can only go up from here... right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad