Confirmed Trade: [MTL/TOR] Plekanec (50%), Baun for Valiev, Rychel, 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
This.

Months and months of hearing that he's not worth ****.

Cheers Pleks, see you back this summer :thumbu:

And yet we had a trade proposal where we agreed on giving you a second. We do not have a hive mind or group voice any more than all Hab fans paint all fans of other teams with the same brush, just the special ones do that :naughty:

Reactions: garyturner3

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Just saying watching the Habs-Rangers series very closely last spring, so my own eyeball test, Nash popped out as basically the only impact forward on the Rangers in that very tight defensive series (Radulov was the only one on Montreal). Was very impressed by him then and actually expected a better season from him this year but then again the whole Rangers season was a big disappointment to say the least. So the comparisons between Plekanec and Nash are a bit off because Nash brings an extra level of offensive impact that Plekanec doesn't have right now (along with a defensive pedigree), and you're going to pay more for that.

Plex is a fine player and I would be totally ok with the Habs signing him back this summer so I'm not trying to diss him. You will not be disappointed with his play especially on the defensive side and his offense is now a bit underrated. He's not as washed up as people have made him out to be.

Nash is always an eye test darling. And yet he, and his team, always ends up dissappointing.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I don't think I've ever see Valiev in a trade proposal and I have seen Rychel involved extremely rarely.

Here's one:

July 15
To Toronto-
Fabbro
Aberg
1st
2nd

To Nashville-
Bozak
Jvr@25%
Valiev

I just typed Valiev in the search bar. The search returned numerous pages of results. A similar search routine of Rychel returned 15 pages of results (hence, too much time to go through).

Last edited:

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Plex is a fine player and I would be totally ok with the Habs signing him back this summer so I'm not trying to diss him. You will not be disappointed with his play especially on the defensive side and his offense is now a bit underrated. He's not as washed up as people have made him out to be.

Plekanec was a pretty good defensive forward with the super low scoring Canadiens. With the high scoring Leafs, he should do very well, as he certainly won't be counted on for any scoring, but will benefit from a higher octane lineup. I can see some pretty good point production in his near future, and his responsible-in-his-own-end play will benefit the Leafs at the same time.

With Matthews, Kadri, Bozak, and Plekanec as the Centres(and Nylander and Marner able to slot in whenever needed.....), the Leafs are very deep down the middle. And with Leivo/Komarov - Plekanec - Kapanen as a 4th line, they can match up against most anyone very well.

I doubt Rychel and Valiev will become much of anything, but the Habs now have four 2nds in the next draft, and there is more to come. That bodes well for the rebuild.

Win-win.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
No Petry is a good 3-4 on a decent deal. He's worth more than a 35 year old UFA come on now
Never said he has the same value as Plekanec. Until the trade, his value was unknown. In earlier discussions around Petry some Hab fans seemed content with a couple picks.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
And yet we had a trade proposal where we agreed on giving you a second. We do not have a hive mind or group voice any more than all Hab fans paint all fans of other teams with the same brush, just the special ones do that :naughty:

Whatever suits yourself my dear common one.

Enjoy Plekanec, I'm sure he'll fit the role perfectly.

HABSFTW

Jun 19, 2007
Thunder Bay
Like most have said, pretty win win trade. I was happy with a 2nd rounder, getting a couple lower end prospects is a quasi bonus. I do have the feeling that TO didn't really need to make this trade, but heck, I'll take that 2nd rounder for someone that's going to play on the 4th line/pk.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It is going to take a while before I get used to this guy in a Leaf jersey, but the price is acceptable.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Said it before and I will say it again to me the top 4 teams the NHL when it comes to center depth are Toronto Winnipeg, Nashville and the Pens those 4 teams are ridiculously stacked down the middle.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I don't understand why Toronto did this deal. Especially with money retained. Everything lead up to the deadline was saying that TOR were buyers, but this is just a half step or little risk.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Nash’s teammates are shooting at under 5% it’s giving him a Cy Young stat line. He is scoring 5 on 5 goals at the same rate as Tarasenko.

I feel like that needs more context. While true, Tarasenko is having a pretty subpar year by his standards.

But it's still good.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I don't understand why Toronto did this deal. Especially with money retained. Everything lead up to the deadline was saying that TOR were buyers, but this is just a half step or little risk.
im sure the leafs tried to get other deals done but they just didnt end up working out. they tried getting better without auctioning off good futures im sure.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

QFT.

While you obviously cannot go back in time, it's interesting to note that in the last 2 seasons, the Leafs have departed with pair of 2nd rounders, plus whatever draft pick value Rychel and Valiev may have had; for short term solutions at 4th line C for 2 years.

Last year I get, as it was important for the team to get playoff experience... but this year, given the moves that everyone else made, I can't help but wonder if this move realistically gives us any better chance of beating Boston or Tampa in the first 2 rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad