Pre-Game Talk: MTL @ TBL | Sat. Dec. 28th 2019, 7PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Although the division looks like the easier route, you have to think at some point, tampa gets their act together, and join boston as a divisional seed, and the leafs as well. They've actually been making a move since the coaching change, as teams often do.

That leaves the WC spot, where habs are clearly behind, and the WC bar is actually even higher than last year right now. The habs are also pacing below their own mark from last year as it stands.

There were a couple things that had to happen IMO for the habs to enter playoffs this year. The isles and jackets had to take a step back. The jackets have done so, but the isles are still rolling. Not only that, but the flyers have also roared into the picture with a new coaching staff.

So, who exactly are the habs taking out in order to get a spot? I just don't see it.

I don't see it either. This as-is roster can't go anywhere; can't make the playoffs, nor go far into them if they somehow get in. On Dec 3rd I posted this in pre-game talk, where @Adam Michaels said he would only accept that conclusion if the gap to a playoff spot actually widened by the end of the trip across Western Canada.

As for the standings, I'm not sure I feel comfortable in the 5th (out of 10) position for the WC race with Tampa and Columbus at #6-7 and Toronto, Pittsburgh and Carolina fighting out for the two available spots. It's early December and I think we're done based on the above. Done done done.

Now the competition "in range" of the Habs is PIT, CAR, FLA, BUF, CBJ and NYR. With the Habs, that's seven (7) teams fighting for two (2) playoff spots given that BOS, TOR and TBL will be the Atlantic seeds at the end of the year, let's not kid ourselves.

This as-is roster + Bergevin's inaction when it comes to acquiring high end talent will kill all hope for a Cup. :(

We don't have the horses to compete with the rest of the Atlantic on the basis of high end talent, the team won't tank to draft high end talent and Bergevin won't trade for high end talent (asking price, "not available").

To make things worse (a lot worse), summer of 2022 brings a massive cap increase to the NHL with the renewed tv contract. That's when BOS, TBL, TOR and several teams in the Metro will acquire more high end talent and sign them to hefty contracts.

Bergevin will of course miss the boat and sign a few extensions for the current roster, that's it. We're toast until 2-3 generations of players from now, think 2030+ in the second next tv contract era.

Trying to win a Cup for Price & Weber before 2022 when other teams get (a lot) better? Ha.

I got heresy from Habs fans on the trade board for even suggesting that it would be a good idea for the franchise. Kings fans settled on either a 1st or Poehling for Jeff Carter's contract, which ends..... you guessed it, summer 2022. Perfect timing. And he's back to doing Jeff Carter things from a few years ago, he's not dead.

.....nah man, let's just wait until Price & Weber fade for good and enjoy something like a yearly $32M chunk in cap space ~2.5 years from now when the new tv contract kicks in, that's a lot better. Yay.

Go Team. :yo:

Jul 6, 2016
Habs have their future in their hands. They play vs two teams which might take them out of Playoffs in their own division. Must win vs TB and FLO. Or get at least 4 points in their next three games.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
A quick review of the Habs "dep" shows that the AHL call ups have played 38 games and Hudon is the only call up with a point, one single point from all call ups so far. That's ugly

Reactions: the

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Habs have their future in their hands. They play vs two teams which might take them out of Playoffs in their own division. Must win vs TB and FLO. Or get at least 4 points in their next three games.

Literally not a single team can say that. Boston, Washington maybe? You seem very much focused on the short term.

Every other team relies on losses to other teams to climb in the standings. The Habs need to worry about wildcard standings on the long term i.e. be aware that they are fighting PIT, CAR, FLA, BUF, CBJ and NYR to get one of only two available spots. That's a LOT of must-win games, not just this weekend. This hard pace will keep up until the end of the year, and the team generally doesn't find a 2nd gear in the Winter/Spring since they seem to gun for the October Cup year in, year out.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Literally not a single team can say that. Boston, Washington maybe? You seem very much focused on the short term.

Every other team relies on losses to other teams to climb in the standings. The Habs need to worry about wildcard standings on the long term i.e. be aware that they are fighting PIT, CAR, FLA, BUF, CBJ and NYR to get one of only two available spots. That's a LOT of must-win games, not just this weekend. This hard pace will keep up until the end of the year, and the team generally doesn't find a 2nd gear in the Winter/Spring since they seem to gun for the October Cup year in, year out.
When the mandate for the GM is to build a bubble team this is what you get

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Last season Habs didn't do well in these types of games

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
With Armia out I would consider calling up McCarron or playing Vejdemo, and sending Barber back down

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Domi-Suzuki
Poehling-Kotkaniemi-Cousins (puke)
Vejdemo/weal-Thompson-McCarron

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
So after 8 years Bergevin built a team that when Joel Armia goes down it's considered disastrous for the team. Good job!
Yeah, let’s forget about Drouin. Also, the fact that Armia is worth so much to this team could also be a sign that he’s a bette player than people thought?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, let’s forget about Drouin. Also, the fact that Armia is worth so much to this team could also be a sign that he’s a bette player than people thought?

Armia is really valuable to this team and other players…..he's the only one able to pick up stuff from the top shelf in the dinning room.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Next 2 games are imho critical to win. Those could be the difference between calling the Habs "Bubble" or "Seller".

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
KK back in :facepalm:

Boy this organization is pathetic.

He Just looks like he’s going to get hurt out there... praying to Jebus he survives the season.
He’s medically cleared....what do you want them to do?

I’d like to know the stats on the past 20 concussion cases, when they were cleared and how long after being cleared did they play......did the respective organizations purposely hold back the player in any of the cases and if they did for how long?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I don't see it either. This as-is roster can't go anywhere; can't make the playoffs, nor go far into them if they somehow get in. On Dec 3rd I posted this in pre-game talk, where @Adam Michaels said he would only accept that conclusion if the gap to a playoff spot actually widened by the end of the trip across Western Canada.

I still stand by what I said though. And as you can see, their trip to Western Canada was successful and no gap has widened.

For what it's worth, I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm saying that I'm not where you are at this point.

Reactions: Roadhouse

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
Armia is really valuable to this team and other players…..he's the only one able to pick up stuff from the top shelf in the dinning room.
Funny but if you think Armia is worthless you'd be dead wrong. I am pretty sure a lot of teams would love to have Armia.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I still stand by what I said though. And as you can see, their trip to Western Canada was successful and no gap has widened.

For what it's worth, I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm saying that I'm not where you are at this point.

That's fair, lots of hockey to be played still. I just don't like the outlook... Hockey Reference's algorithm has us at 43% chance of making the playoffs. And I presume that would be a last seed type of deal.

We should be able to get the pulse on Tampa's current roster tonight. Point centers Kucherov, Cirelli centers Stamkos. It's like having Suzuki centering Gallagher and Kotkaniemi centering Tatar, on a lesser level.

Funny enough I posted this 20 min before the LA game started last night. Jeff obliged with a 3 point game, and a beaut of a setup for Frk after Karlsson gobbed the puck in his own zone. 5 million and change for two years, then he's out and cap goes way up (2022/tv).

I got heresy from Habs fans on the trade board for even suggesting that it would be a good idea for the franchise. Kings fans settled on either a 1st or Poehling for Jeff Carter's contract, which ends..... you guessed it, summer 2022. Perfect timing. And he's back to doing Jeff Carter things from a few years ago, he's not dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad