Proposal: MTL/PIT/CAR

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that Svechnikov is not a "high end" forward even though he scored 20 goals as a rookie playing on the 3rd line with zero power play time. Who ever said the rule is you have to have *three* "high end forwards"? And what is a "high end" forward? And what makes Drouin a "high end" forward? The Canes have Dzingel, Haula and in theory Justin Williams; all those players have a track record of outproducing Jonathan Drouin.

The dude had the 4th most PP minutes of any F on the team.

On top of that, for the 2nd bolded:

Dzingel o.51 pts per game
Haula 0.33 pts per game

Drouin 0.58 pts per game.

Not saying the deal is good or makes sense, but no reason to fudge the undisputed facts just to make the case.

Reactions: Nick Slafkofield

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
No thanks from the Pens. I know you're trying to shed salary, but the value isn't there. We can't just hand off the best asset we acquired in the Phil Kessel trade. This is how we've been replacing all those low end first rounders we've been throwing away for the past decade. And for that reason I have no interest in moving Pierre-Olivier Joseph in this trade.

Mike Dukarm

Aug 3, 2018
Montreal
:pens
Lucas Wallmark (C)
CAR 2020 2nd
MTL 2021 3rd

:habs
Pierre-Olivier Joseph (LD)
Gustav Forsling (LD)
Nick Bjugstad (C,RW)

:canes
Jonathan Drouin (LW,RW,C)

PIT needs to clear cap space and replace Bjugstad at centre and they do that with Wallmark. They lose a high end
prospect trading POJ, but they add two draft picks.
CAR desperately needs to add a high end forward, they do that with Drouin. They give up some valuable pieces, but nothing that will keep them from improving.
MTL gets what they need the most. LHDs. Bjugstad is a nice add for them. He'll get 40 pts for them and is versatile.

Big pass for Habs Fan. We need Drouin. And i think he will have a great season this year.

Reactions: BHD and NORiculous

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
3rd*. And what garbage?
garbage in my book = a bunch of lesser pieces that fill no role/purpose for our team.

Pierre-Olivier Joseph (LD)---> We are loaded with prospects who are better and are closer to NHL ready. Zero need of POJ.
Gustav Forsling (LD) ----> He isnt better than what we already have on our LD. Mete, Kulak, Chariot would all be expected to beat out Forsling. Then for 7D we have some dude called Folin.
Nick Bjugstad (C,RW) ----> Again, no need whatsoever. At C we have Domi/Danault/Poehling/Kotkaniemi/Suzuki, etc... At RW, we have Gally, Suzuki, Armia, Weal, and even Lehks/Drouin. Then u count in the prospects like Ylonen, yup no need.

So yeah its a whole lot of garbage for a player we need (Drouin).

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I just can’t see how this helps Montreal now, in a year or even 5 years from now. Drouin is by far the best player in this deal and will be for a long time

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Howsabout something around Bjugstad and Drouin? Maybe the Pens add in a 2nd? Drouin's ceiling is much higher but I like Bjugstad's consistency and I think Julien will as well. In addition Drouin might hit his groove in Pittsburgh.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Please elaborate on that?

Over his last two seasons, Drouin averages 16 goals, 34 assists, 50 points

Justin Williams averages 20 goals, 33 assists, 53 points

Dzingle averages 25 goals, 24 assists, 49 points

Haula (removing 18-19 because he did not play) averages 22 goals, 19 assists, 41 points

I fail to see what vastly separates any of these players from each other in terms of offensive production

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pens lose their 3c and a low cost D option in a year or so

Canes get a player who doesn't fit their system

Habs, a team full of depth, only gets depth

A rare triple loss.

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm thinking. It's not great value for any of the teams involved and it doesn't really help any of them, either. Maybe the Canes get a decent piece here? I feel like the Habs trade quantity for quality and the Penguins lose in value.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Okay that makes sense and I bet he is better defensively.

Although PO Joseph is a decent prospect to let go of isn't he in your opinion?

I really like PO Jo. I would have had him on the WJC roster instead of Phillips. To me, he's a step behind the rest of the D on Canada's roster from that year but not by much.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Howsabout something around Bjugstad and Drouin? Maybe the Pens add in a 2nd? Drouin's ceiling is much higher but I like Bjugstad's consistency and I think Julien will as well. In addition Drouin might hit his groove in Pittsburgh.
We don't need another middle 6 C. We need Top3 fwd.

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
Over his last two seasons, Drouin averages 16 goals, 34 assists, 50 points

Justin Williams averages 20 goals, 33 assists, 53 points

Dzingle averages 25 goals, 24 assists, 49 points

Haula (removing 18-19 because he did not play) averages 22 goals, 19 assists, 41 points

I fail to see what vastly separates any of these players from each other in terms of offensive production
I would still do it, Drouin is an upgrade over Wallmark, don't care for Forsling given all the youngsters. Second isn't a huge price either given how many picks we've made in recent drafts. Would give us another skilled Fwd and allow us to give another player a chance at F.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Lawl I wouldn’t do that trade even with the Pen’s first round pick included.

Reactions: HabsAddict

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Another dumpster trade proposal.....:popcorn:

BBinz is very capable of dumpster diving without the need to trade what he values higher then the rooocket scientist.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Sure. Great idea. We always use another 28 year old 3C when we have KK (18), Denault (25), Domi (23), Poehling (20) knocking on the door and Weal clawing his way into 3C...

News flash 1....there is no fire sale on Drouin.

News flash 2.....center position is coming along fine.

Last edited:

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
garbage in my book = a bunch of lesser pieces that fill no role/purpose for our team.

Pierre-Olivier Joseph (LD)---> We are loaded with prospects who are better and are closer to NHL ready. Zero need of POJ.
Gustav Forsling (LD) ----> He isnt better than what we already have on our LD. Mete, Kulak, Chariot would all be expected to beat out Forsling. Then for 7D we have some dude called Folin.
Nick Bjugstad (C,RW) ----> Again, no need whatsoever. At C we have Domi/Danault/Poehling/Kotkaniemi/Suzuki, etc... At RW, we have Gally, Suzuki, Armia, Weal, and even Lehks/Drouin. Then u count in the prospects like Ylonen, yup no need.

So yeah its a whole lot of garbage for a player we need (Drouin).

If we need more dumpster diving material, BBinz is an expert it finding it cheaply....

Reactions: Legend123

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I mean as a Canes fan I am fine with it but we don't "desperately need a high end forward". We got some of those, thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad