Confirmed Trade: [MTL/PHI] Dale Weise, Christian Folin (18.75%) for Byron Froese, David Schlemko

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Agree this is a minors deal, however, should either side decide to call up one player, I think the main pieces here are Christian Folin for Montreal and David Schlemko for the Flyers.

Dale Weise is probably much slower than Habs fans remember, and while he could certainly fill a 4th line role, I think Montreal fans will find that for over 2 million, they could certainly do better, or find better for their big club on even a 4th line.

Byron Froese will do nothing for the Flyers.... the Phantoms? Maybe. But not the Flyers. They are looking for fast rugged forwards with some scoring ability....Froese doesn't fit that description.

Now, Christian Folin…. good shot, good size, and when he decides to do so, can be pretty physical. He has experience working within a structured defensive style (which did NOT exist in Philly, but did in LA and Minnesota where he was previously), so I think he may help the Habs as a 3rd pair or extra defenseman...and even though he will be a UFA, his salary is minimal, and I don't think the Habs are looking past this year with him. Only the fact they have a chance to get into the playoffs THIS year, and he might be able to help.

For Philly, David Schlemko.
No, he isn't going to revolutionize ANYTHING for the Flyers, but he at least is known as a shot block, stay at home type defender, and Philly, with holes ALL OVER their defensive core, could possibly use someone like that.

Salary isn't terrible, and if Philly likes what they see, he is signed for one more year after this one.
All in all, even if Schlemko doesn't do anything for Philly of note, they still get out from under Dale Weise, as I know many Flyer fans, and obviously the club itself, simply didn't want him there any longer.

But the OP mentioned 19% retention for Folin??
I don't see anywhere it says that.....or even WHY if it were true. Folin makes near minimum already.

Reactions: frederixx

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Meh, I like it I guess. Schlemko is done. I hope Weise has something to offer, did very well the last time he was here.

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
As a Hab fan, I’m ok with this. I can see how Weise will be more useful than Schlemko ever would be.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Weise will play way better for MTL> Flyers are always outplayed ans slow and soft. MTL gets after it and he'll find his way again. Folin is a good depth player who again will play better on MTL.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I'm okay with this deal as long as it doesn't send down Agostino

You mean the guy with 1 point in his last 18 games? Agostino had a nice run at first when called up but he is clearly an AHL player.

But Folin's a UFA this summer and he's dime a dozen player.

With Juulsen hurt, we have a shortage of natural right shot D. Hence why they got Folin, I believe.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
For Philly, David Schlemko.
No, he isn't going to revolutionize ANYTHING for the Flyers, but he at least is known as a shot block, stay at home type defender, and Philly, with holes ALL OVER their defensive core, could possibly use someone like that.
Hummm.... Schlemko is more a defensive puck-mover than a shot blocker. Sometimes take very suspicious decisions, but he'd still be with the Habs, and in the NHL, if it wasn't of the fact that he's both soft and injury-prone. He plays like a guy who really, really doesn't want to get hurt, and still gets hurt regardless.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
:laugh:

How about a shiny new David ( his first name is David right?) Schlemko instead?
That's ok. We don't need a more expensive version of Justin Holl to sit in the press box. If Holl has been a healthy scratch 51 times already, Schlemko would have been 53.

We'll still take Gudas though!

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
You mean the guy with 1 point in his last 18 games? Agostino had a nice run at first when called up but he is clearly an AHL player.

Yeah I mean that guy. His job isnt to score, his line always has great possession numbers when they're on. He deserves to be on the roster

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
With Juulsen hurt, we have a shortage of natural right shot D. Hence why they got Folin, I believe.

The thing is -- Benn seems to play better on the right side, and neither him or Kulak deserve to get scratched at the moment.
In fact, the weakest link in the last game is probably Mike Reilly, and Folin can certainly NOT replace Reilly.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Can't do it....he still has that Habs stank on him.:laugh:

That's ok. We don't need a more expensive version of Justin Holl to sit in the press box. If Holl has been a healthy scratch 51 times already, Schlemko would have been 53.

We'll still take Gudas though!

Guys, guys.. let's talk about this a second. Maybe he could be the next Hainsey - mediocre d man who looks great on your top pair. I think it's worth the gamble.

How about Schlemko for a half priced ticket when I travel to Toronto for work in a few weeks?

Reactions: BernieParent

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Guys, guys.. let's talk about this a second. Maybe he could be the next Hainsey - mediocre d man who looks great on your top pair. I think it's worth the gamble.

How about Schlemko for a half priced ticket when I travel to Toronto for work in a few weeks?
Overpayment!!!!

Now about Gudas.....:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce