Confirmed Trade: [MTL/NSH] PK Subban for Shea Weber - Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
27 years old with a contract that ends at 35 years old
Vs
30 years old with a contract that ends at 40 years old.

I'm done as an Habs fan. This is the nail in the coffin. I have the same feeling than the day Patrick Roy was traded.

Yup. You're going to be paying 7.9M for Weber till he's 40. Those last 5 or so years are going to be disastrous.

There are basically no 35+ players who are worth that kind of money. Considering Weber has already started to slow down pretty harshly the last couple of years... oh boy.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
I am beyond pissed off, Subban is a way better defenseman than Shea Weber. I ****ing hate this trade. Oh my god

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Weber is only 4 years older than Subban and is better, what is so horrible about this trade for Montreal? Has Weber fallen off that much?

No, he hasn't. He's just over 30 and played on a team nobody watches. The one game most people watched he utterly crapped the bed. Montreal is getting a 25+ minute a night 20+ goal 50+ point defenseman who stands up for teammates and is above average defensively.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Would have taken Draisaitl Kelfbohm and the 1st over Webber.

I wonder if Habs fans still would've wanted such a huge overpay from the Oilers for Subban after this deal. Their asking price on this site was literally insane. Wonder if they feel a bit softer on their demands, if things could've been different. Maybe just Eberle, Draistaitl and Klefbom enough to get it done, now? Anyway, doesn't matter, and too late.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Calm down everyone. Weber is a better defenseman right now, allows Montreal to have more cap space and coincidentally, Montreal's window is in the next 3 years. This is a good move for Montreal. Maybe value is a bit off but come on this is two superstars. This is nothing close to a ''fleece''

He is not the better dman right now that is the sad part, it is a wash really. The cap space is minuscule and who is left to spend it on and I honestly don't trust MB to spend it wisely. This saved cap space will got to Weise or they will overspend to sign Eric Stall.

Phasenet

Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Why would both teams sign these players to massive contracts only to trade them? Both could have been happy franchise players where they were. Most redundant trade ever.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
If I were a Habs fan I'd throw in the towel after this one. Hard to be a fan when incompetent management repeatedly rips your heart out.

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
Weber is in decline AND plays with the incredible Roman Josi, he will be even more exposed without him. He looked completely lost in the playoff series vs San Jose.

The real $ mean nothing to a team like the Habs, the extra cap space is minimal.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I can almost 100% guarantee this works out way better for Montreal by the way this board is reacting only.

NickLidstrom

Ottawa & Detroit fan
Dec 1, 2013
Umeå
I feel bad for Subban. He did so much for the city of Montreal. Gotta think this extends Nashvilles competitive window by a few years.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Why would both teams sign these players to massive contracts only to trade them? Both could have been happy franchise players where they were. Most redundant trade ever.

Well, Holmgren kind of forced Poile's hand by offer sheeting him with an albatross contract.

Chris Hagen*

EVERYTHING IS HAPPENING

yrtNVNN.gif

k

Ed Belfour

Nov 9, 2011
Toronto
As far as I can imagine, Therrien wanted a little less risk out of his #1 defenseman. That's all I can think of in terms of the logic here.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
My face, still, and probably for the next week:

939.gif

If the Habs were ever going to move PK I thought it was going to be an even more earth shattering deal for another franchise pillar around the same age.

PK for Kopitar
PK for Stamkos
PK for Taylor Hall

These would still have shocked me, but not have led me to believe the Habs got the clear short end of the deal.

Weber is wonderful, but they should flip him to another team for a king's ransom, like right now. Someone like Edmonton. For RNH, Nurse+. Turn this one-for-one single player loss into something actually set you up for the future.

Also, what the ****? I assume Hall's name has been out there for days, and the Oilers were linked to PK now for days. Was Hall+(small+) for PK not even brought up? Seems like both teams would have been better off had that gone down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad