Proposal: MTL/NJ

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
We don't care about french names, french players, etc. to go out of our way and make stupid trades to get some. If there's a fit we are glad to have local kids play for the team, just like every godamn franchise. Please stop with this BS.

As far as the trade. Don't think Bastian will amount to anything more than maybe a bottom 6 player. Cond. on the 2nd is bad, will most probably be a 5th. We're just done with overpaying for Pleks and that makes me happy, no reason to go get the same kind of caphit and production in Zajac.

Let's just trade plek for a 2nd and retain if we have to. a 3rd if we can't get a 2nd.

I think he was just teasing about the French name remark. Don’t take it seriously. Any normal hockey follower realizes that a franchise can’t be run by emotion and good players are good players regardless of nationality or background. I think players with French backgrounds are a natural fit in MTL but that’s true for MN players with the Wild and BC BU and Harvard players with the Bruins etc. just a little extra fun for the fans.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

It’s amazing what a long term contract can do to a player’s trade value. Greene with one year left has some value (in the real world not on hf). Guy can still play somewhat, but with his term he probably is untradeable.

The lesson is no long term deals for non-franchise players if you aren’t a contender.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Unless the Devils are planning on making a mega offer for either Karlsson or OEL, there is no need for them to dump salary, and even then they may not have to. And yes, I’m assuming that Hall will sign an extension at between $9 and $10 million AAV, and that Nico and Bratt will get RNH type deals in here years.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
As a Habs fan, I'd only do this deal if the 2nd isn't conditional, and if another 2nd were added.

Plek is essentially worth a 2nd as a rental, I'd want at least a 2nd rounder as well for taking on Zajac's contract, and Bastian for Schlemko is a wash.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
As a Habs fan, I'd only do this deal if the 2nd isn't conditional, and if another 2nd were added.

Plek is essentially worth a 2nd as a rental, I'd want at least a 2nd rounder as well for taking on Zajac's contract, and Bastian for Schlemko is a wash.

Bastian for Schlemko is a wash? Man has Bastian's value dropped.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Bastian for Schlemko is a wash? Man has Bastian's value dropped.
Well he was a reach in the second round. Never got that much value honestly. A project that doesn't seem to improve. A bit like McCarron, but Bastian has never been close a PPG in any league.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Well he was a reach in the second round. Never got that much value honestly. A project that doesn't seem to improve. A bit like McCarron, but Bastian has never been close a PPG in any league.

His development doesn't look very promising but he's only 20 and afaik wasn't that much of a reach in the 2nd round, he had a great draft year. We got Schlemko for a 5th and that's pretty much where his value is at (a 4th at best). Bastian one and a half year after draft can't have that low value?

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
His development doesn't look very promising but he's only 20 and afaik wasn't that much of a reach in the 2nd round, he had a great draft year. We got Schlemko for a 5th and that's pretty much where his value is at (a 4th at best). Bastian one and a half year after draft can't have that low value?
Not sure. I, personally, wouldn't touch this deal and wouldn't give up more than a 4th-5th for Bastian.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
:habs
Travis Zajac (NTC)
Nathan Bastian
Conditional 2nd round pick

:devils
Tomas Plekanec
David Schlemko

Condition: the Devils make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs this year and Plekanec plays at least 50% of the games. Otherwise it's a 5th round pick.

The main reason for this is that the Devils get rid of Zajac's long-term contract and pay assets to Montreal for that. The Devils get a Zajac replacement for this year for him in Plekanec. Schlemko provides LD depth for the Devils and balance the cap a little bit with his $2.1M cap hit that lasts for two more years. The Habs can use Zajac as a defensive veteran 3C even though he's overpaid, the Habs' C depth is miserable especially if Plekanec leaves. The biggest asset coming to the Habs is Nathan Bastian, a right-handed RW prospect with power forward tools and size which is something the Habs are in need of. I also added a conditional pick if Plekanec proves to be a winner for the Devils. Zajac's NTC makes this a bit more complicated but disregarding that, what do you think?
Montreal is rebuilding going younger why the hell would they want Zajac's contract.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I think this is where people disagree. On the decency of the prospect. Maybe if it was someone else people would think the offer is okay.

Yeah, maybe I'm just higher on Bastian than most people here. We'll see how he develops.

Reactions: Deam78

Gerard

Dec 24, 2017
New Jersey
No need for Schlemko and I like Bastian as a prospect thus far.

Id pass from NJs side.

Id be more interested in Shaw. NJ could use a speedy grit type to keep the kids safe, but at the same time he is a competant 3rd liner

Reactions: njdevil26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad