Finland
:habs
Travis Zajac (NTC)
Nathan Bastian
Conditional 2nd round pick

:devils
Tomas Plekanec
David Schlemko

Condition: the Devils make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs this year and Plekanec plays at least 50% of the games. Otherwise it's a 5th round pick.

The main reason for this is that the Devils get rid of Zajac's long-term contract and pay assets to Montreal for that. The Devils get a Zajac replacement for this year for him in Plekanec. Schlemko provides LD depth for the Devils and balance the cap a little bit with his $2.1M cap hit that lasts for two more years. The Habs can use Zajac as a defensive veteran 3C even though he's overpaid, the Habs' C depth is miserable especially if Plekanec leaves. The biggest asset coming to the Habs is Nathan Bastian, a right-handed RW prospect with power forward tools and size which is something the Habs are in need of. I also added a conditional pick if Plekanec proves to be a winner for the Devils. Zajac's NTC makes this a bit more complicated but disregarding that, what do you think?

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
I think the value for both teams is on par, but I don't really have any interest in a rent Plekanec or Schlemko. I liked Schlemko in his time with the Devils but if Shero is gonna acquire a defenseman I hope it's someone who is a top/almost top pairing LHD because that's what we need. I think I could say yes, but the actual need really isn't there. Hopefully Zajac can return to 35-45 point form. The only reason I would do this is because of Zajac's contract.

Could be yes, could be no. Depends who you ask.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I don't really see an overwhelming need to do this deal.

Zajac hasn't looked great this year, but I don't think we're quite at the point where we'd look to pay someone to take him.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
The Devils have a need for acquiring a top pairing LHD... which is not Schlemko but everyone knows that. With Moore, Greene, Butcher, and Mueller on the left side, there's no reason to trade for Schlemko.

Zajac for Pleks is enticing because it gets rid of Zajac's contract. McLeod is going to be replacing him next season and we'll have Hischier, Zacha, McLeod, and Boyle down the middle. Plekanec would be gone after this season.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
As a devils fan I'd do it. We most likely are not making the second round of the playoffs.
Bastion will not be a factor. Career ahler or fourth line guy. Gets rid of zajacs contract. Sure.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
just saw zajac's atrocious numbers and cap hit, super f***ing funny you're dropping him and his 6 m,ill contract for next 4 years on us. he's also 32. so the answer is a big, fat f***ing no. you want those 2 players? it will cost you a 2nd and 4th, no conditions. take it or leave :)

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
just saw zajac's atrocious numbers and cap hit, super ****ing funny you're dropping him and his 6 m,ill contract for next 4 years on us. he's also 32. so the answer is a big, fat ****ing no. you want those 2 players? it will cost you a 2nd and 4th, no conditions. take it or leave :)

This was proposed by a Canadiens fan :dunce:

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
The Devils have a need for acquiring a top pairing LHD... which is not Schlemko but everyone knows that. With Moore, Greene, Butcher, and Mueller on the left side, there's no reason to trade for Schlemko.

Zajac for Pleks is enticing because it gets rid of Zajac's contract. McLeod is going to be replacing him next season and we'll have Hischier, Zacha, McLeod, and Boyle down the middle. Plekanec would be gone after this season.

what on God's green earth makes you think montreal wants that contract? the answer is they don't

VeeMerk

Jan 16, 2018
:habs
Travis Zajac (NTC)
Nathan Bastian
Conditional 2nd round pick

:devils
Tomas Plekanec
David Schlemko

Condition: the Devils make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs this year and Plekanec plays at least 50% of the games. Otherwise it's a 5th round pick.

The main reason for this is that the Devils get rid of Zajac's long-term contract and pay assets to Montreal for that. The Devils get a Zajac replacement for this year for him in Plekanec. Schlemko provides LD depth for the Devils and balance the cap a little bit with his $2.1M cap hit that lasts for two more years. The Habs can use Zajac as a defensive veteran 3C even though he's overpaid, the Habs' C depth is miserable especially if Plekanec leaves. The biggest asset coming to the Habs is Nathan Bastian, a right-handed RW prospect with power forward tools and size which is something the Habs are in need of. I also added a conditional pick if Plekanec proves to be a winner for the Devils. Zajac's NTC makes this a bit more complicated but disregarding that, what do you think?

Value wise I think you created a deal that's more thought out than I've seen on these forums. I'm a Habs fan but I would have to say no to this deal, not cause of value, but cause it's not necessarily what we're looking for (in my opinion). Getting rid of Plekanec is a cap space move.. Obviously he'd be a great depth and defensive 3C for any cup team, but Habs need the $6mil free for the off season. Although Zajac is also great, Danault fits our 3rd line C perfectly well and he's younger/cheaper. Obviously we want picks and propects but even with our need of a complete D rebuild, Schlemko is one of the guys i'd rather keep to fill out the bottom 4 pairing. He's cheap, stable, not old and provides that veteran presence for Mete and Juulsen who I expect will both be on the team next season.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Value wise I think you created a deal that's more thought out than I've seen on these forums. I'm a Habs fan but I would have to say no to this deal, not cause of value, but cause it's not necessarily what we're looking for (in my opinion). Getting rid of Plekanec is a cap space move.. Obviously he'd be a great depth and defensive 3C for any cup team, but Habs need the $6mil free for the off season. Although Zajac is also great, Danault fits our 3rd line C perfectly well and he's younger/cheaper. Obviously we want picks and propects but even with our need of a complete D rebuild, Schlemko is one of the guys i'd rather keep to fill out the bottom 4 pairing. He's cheap, stable, not old and provides that veteran presenc
conditional
e for Mete and Juulsen who I expect will both be on the team next season.

i completely disagree. zajac is a declining asset at 6 mill for 4 more years. who cares if he's a C? he's going to be 33. Bastian is a bottom 6 checking forward at best - something CH has abundance of, and the pick is conditional? lol

no, habs can do better. they'll get a high picks for pleks and be out of that contract and they'll trade schlemko for a 4th or 5th and not need unnecessary players back

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The problem is the Habs have no offensive centres. Zajac does not help at all in that regard. We don’t want a $6m warm body just because he plays down the middle.

VeeMerk

Jan 16, 2018
i completely disagree. zajac is a declining asset at 6 mill for 4 more years. who cares if he's a C? he's going to be 33. Bastian is a bottom 6 checking forward at best - something CH has abundance of, and the pick is conditional? lol

no, habs can do better. they'll get a high picks for pleks and be out of that contract and they'll trade schlemko for a 4th or 5th and not need unnecessary players back

Well I pretty much said the exact same thing as you just did. I said Zajac was great but also that we don't need his contract. I also said we rather offload Plek to get his $6mil cap hit back. I agree with your post, however, for $2.1 million I wouldn't mind keeping Schlemko

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Bastian's name isn't french sounding enough.

We all know Brandon Gignac is who Bergevin truly wants.

We don't care about french names, french players, etc. to go out of our way and make stupid trades to get some. If there's a fit we are glad to have local kids play for the team, just like every godamn franchise. Please stop with this BS.

As far as the trade. Don't think Bastian will amount to anything more than maybe a bottom 6 player. Cond. on the 2nd is bad, will most probably be a 5th. We're just done with overpaying for Pleks and that makes me happy, no reason to go get the same kind of caphit and production in Zajac.

Let's just trade plek for a 2nd and retain if we have to. a 3rd if we can't get a 2nd.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
just saw zajac's atrocious numbers and cap hit, super ****ing funny you're dropping him and his 6 m,ill contract for next 4 years on us. he's also 32. so the answer is a big, fat ****ing no. you want those 2 players? it will cost you a 2nd and 4th, no conditions. take it or leave :)

Meh, Zajac is likely just having a down year because he's recovering from an injury. Just last year he put up 45 points, I think he's still better offensively than Pleks and I believe he's not done. The contract is bad but something we can afford. That and acquiring Bastian were the main interests for me here as a Habs fan. Schlemko really isn't that needed in Montreal because of Jerabek's rise and we are looking to trade Pleks anyway. I see it so that we gain Bastian and a conditional pick without actually losing anything.

Last edited:

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Bastian surely isn't enticing enough to take on Zajac's contract. I'd rather trade Plekanec for a sure 2nd pick.

Reactions: jfhabs

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Im totallt not sold on Bastian since his draft year. I dont see the necessity to waste a 2nd rd pick and what Zajac cant do to NJ cannot be done here. Its a no deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad