Post-Game Talk: MTL nearly shuts out EDM (thanks the for spoiling) 3-1 - Allen first win as a Hab, Romanov 1st goal!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I noticed it right away after the game. They showed it a few times too. Drouin deserves it. Being hesitant as the last man back is very bad! He tried to bust his ass off on the next shift cause he knew he screwed up again in his own end. Drouin making mistakes in his own end is going to get him benched over time. Smarten up. What drives me nuts with Drouin is when he stops moving his feet and tries to force a pass. You are not going to fool NHL players by staying in one spot and trying to make an obvious pass. He needs to be skating at high end speed or he is useless. This whole tentative breakout from our end is not his game

It's one thing to make a mistake in the offensive end but in your own end? I think Julien is going to be hard on him for that. The leash has been tightened. Don't abuse Julien's kindness or fair approach as a NHL coach. Ask Domi about that

It shouldn't though. You gotta eat the good and bad with certain players. You don't want to start benching him because then he changes his game and we don't want a hesitant Drouin. You explain to him, try not to deke when you're the last man back, but if it's going to make him change his game...might as well just trade him now.
If you want him to carry the puck through neutral zone to pick up speed, don't bench him if he ends up getting burnt a few times.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Yeah, that's pretty much correct. The accent is on the second syllable and the v at the end of the words is pronounced as f.

Also, the unaccented o's are sounds closer to a's, so it's: RaMAnaf.
That would depend on where you're born. The a vs o thing is an accent of Moscow (and maybe others, not sure) region. I was born in Georgia, so I don't have that, even though I spent years in "Moscowskaya oblast".

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#EdmontonOilersFans(18/01/21)

upload_2021-1-19_17-51-26.png

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
Weber listening to Drouin in the locker room:

original.gif
Weber f***ed the team over in game one. Shoots the puck over the board to give a 1:50 5on3 to Toronto. Got scored on.

The boards have not changed location or dimensions in decades.

Guy hasn't scored from the Blueline in over a year.

And leadership failures were extremely common last year (pre covid).

So Weber can stfu and start playing hockey

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Same bro......Leaf fans are like a blister on km 2 of a 10k walk lol

Every year they are gonna win the cup. To win the cup, they have to win 16 games. They can’t win 4 games in the playoffs. 2004 was a long time ago. I know things have been bad in Edmonton, but at least we have been to a cup final and the 2nd round since then

AND

WE HAVE NOT LOST TO A ZAMBONI DRIVER

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Thx
I live in NS but I’ve been an Oiler fan my whole life. It’s hard to get players to sign there because of the weather and people sometimes don’t like the city . It’s a hockey hot bed but players wanna play in Vegas or Tampa Bay now. We have some good dman coming as you have mentioned but there is no mentor like a Weber. Don’t get me started on Chiarelli. What a joke. Worst GM ever
I know what you mean. Usually Canadian teams (minus Toronto and *sometimes* Vancouver) in general are a tough sell to any free agents. The weather, the media, the travelling, the taxes, the fact it’s not a major hot spot city, etc. I also think a lack of true Cup runs hurts. But then again, you’ve got the very best player in the league, and the great thing is that you can build around him and Draisaitl (probably 2 of the top 3 players in the whole league). You don’t need top-6 Centers that are really hard to find, or top Dmen. With Klefbom injured, it does throw a wrench, but next season you’ll have him back, Nurse will DEFINITELY bounce back, and add your young dmen (and prospects) who may flourish :) As for a goalie, I think Markstrom was a major miss for you guys, but goalies IMO aren’t the toughest to come around. If anything, I’m sure our fan base would be all ears for a pitch for either Price or Allen, especially with Primeau (solid prospect) coming up soon. The fact Allen can hold his ground gives us that flexibility, and saves you guys 2 weeks of confinement etc. I would also be willing to trade a guy like Weber for futures.

But regardless, there’s a reason many of us have the Oilers top 3 for Canadian division, and it’s because your future is bright, as long as McDavid and Draisaitl don’t complain or pull a PLD, which I doubt they will (they have class), but you gotta get cracking. The Habs need to crack soon too since our veterans are getting old.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I know what you mean. Usually Canadian teams (minus Toronto and *sometimes* Vancouver) in general are a tough sell to any free agents. The weather, the media, the travelling, the taxes, the fact it’s not a major hot spot city, etc. I also think a lack of true Cup runs hurts. But then again, you’ve got the very best player in the league, and the great thing is that you can build around him and Draisaitl (probably 2 of the top 3 players in the whole league). You don’t need top-6 Centers that are really hard to find, or top Dmen. With Klefbom injured, it does throw a wrench, but next season you’ll have him back, Nurse will DEFINITELY bounce back, and add your young dmen (and prospects) who may flourish :) As for a goalie, I think Markstrom was a major miss for you guys, but goalies IMO aren’t the toughest to come around. If anything, I’m sure our fan base would be all ears for a pitch for either Price or Allen, especially with Primeau (solid prospect) coming
up soon. The fact Allen can hold his ground gives us that flexibility, and saves you guys 2 weeks of confinement etc. I would also be willing to trade a guy like Weber for futures.

But regardless, there’s a reason many of us have the Oilers top 3 for Canadian division, and it’s because your future is bright, as long as McDavid and Draisaitl don’t complain or pull a PLD, which I doubt they will (they have class), but you gotta get cracking. The Habs need to crack soon too since our veterans are getting old.

Klefbom has been injured most of his career. I think he could be done. I thought we had Markstrom but Calgary swooped in and got him. Whatever happened to Fucale? He was on the Mooseheads Mem Cup team

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Weber f***ed the team over in game one. Shoots the puck over the board to give a 1:50 5on3 to Toronto. Got scored on.

You mean like when he scored the game winning goal yesterday?

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

This and starts to take alot of penalties lately. Probably due to his skating degrading which we knew it was coming like it did with Markov.

Anyways I think we can all agree that the general on the blue line is now Petry by 5 miles. Weber is still really useful but his last 3 goals are 2 rebounds close to the net , 1 that hit the goalie and a rebound into an empty net.

But with Romanov and Petry , Weber is less needed on the powerplay and the powerplay strategy should never be around Weber no more.

ItzaGreat

Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
You mean like when he scored the game winning goal yesterday?
He scored from behind the blue line.

Good play. Real clutch.

He's Shea Weber, known to have a devastating Slapshot. Hasn't scored on his Slapshot (or one timer) in over a year.

His main weapon is faulting but he's experienced enough to compensate. However, how long can a slow skater like Weber survive scoring goals 15feet or less from the goal? ( Spoilers: not long)

Reactions: MasterD

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Good play. Real clutch.

He's Shea Weber, known to have a devastating Slapshot. Hasn't scored on his Slapshot (or one timer) in over a year.

His main weapon is faulting but he's experienced enough to compensate. However, how long can a slow skater like Weber survive scoring goals 15feet or less from the goal? ( Spoilers: not long)

Most people haven't played in close to a year.

Your post included that Weber should "start playing" so all I was saying is that he had the game winning goal yesterday. You know, because he was playing.

ItzaGreat

Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
This and starts to take alot of penalties lately. Probably due to his skating degrading which we knew it was coming like it did with Markov.

Anyways I think we can all agree that the general on the blue line is now Petry by 5 miles. Weber is still really useful but his last 3 goals are 2 rebounds close to the net , 1 that hit the goalie and a rebound into an empty net.

But with Romanov and Petry , Weber is less needed on the powerplay and the powerplay strategy should never be around Weber no more.
Petry is two years younger than Weber and skates likes he's a decade younger.

The way Weber's game is going down while Petry is only getting better is sort of amazing to watch.

ItzaGreat

Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
Most people haven't played in close to a year.

Your post included that Weber should "start playing" so all I was saying is that he had the game winning goal yesterday. You know, because he was playing.
Make it however long you need.

The last time Weber scored on a one-T or slapper was like in December 2019 and none of us even knew there was such a thing as a corona virus

Reactions: Holystik

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Make it however long you need.

The last time Weber scored on a one-T or slapper was like in December 2019 and none of us even knew there was such a thing as a corona virus

None of us knew the coronavirus existed up until it existed. That doesn't mean anything.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

Good play. Real clutch.

LOL I cant even.. is this guy for f***ing real right now??

Like when people pretend to troll I get it, it's funny sometimes
But THIS? I'm crying of laughter, I literally just fell off my chair laughing.
Oh my god thank you for this, I just now caught my breath..oh man. I mean it, thank you

Reactions: Belial and McTusk

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
LOL I cant even.. is this guy for f***ing real right now??

Like when people pretend to troll I get it, it's funny sometimes
But THIS? I'm crying of laughter, I literally just fell off my chair laughing.
Oh my god thank you for this, I just now caught my breath..oh man. I mean it, thank you
As far as I'm concerned, he's right. Weber's slapper isn't what it was anymore, probably because of injuries. And his skating is getting slower, and he wasn't quick to begin with.

Doesn't mean he's done, means he isn't the dominating dman he once was. We all knew it was coming.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
It shouldn't though. You gotta eat the good and bad with certain players. You don't want to start benching him because then he changes his game and we don't want a hesitant Drouin. You explain to him, try not to deke when you're the last man back, but if it's going to make him change his game...might as well just trade him now.
If you want him to carry the puck through neutral zone to pick up speed, don't bench him if he ends up getting burnt a few times.

Kriss E, this is the smartest observation I have ever seen you make. That's the thing with Drouin. If he hesitates, he is worthless. Drouin is successful if he plays by instinct and part of that involves taking some risks to create offense. If he is moving quickly (always moving his feet) and not hesitating, he will be successful 90% of the time and that will lead to Grade A scoring chance much more often than Grade A scoring chances against, even if he ends up coughing up the puck once in a while

Fans need to be ready to accept the occasional turnover, provided he is not coughing up the puck on a silver player 6-8 times a game.

Playing under Julien, IMO, does not help Drouin be the most confident he can be and that brings with it some hesitation and a little less productivity as a result.

This year, he appears to be excite and confident. Let's live with the occasional mistakes unless they become omnipresent.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005

Good play. Real clutch.

Weber last scored with a slapshot against Vancouver on Feb 25th, 2020....so less than a year ago.

It's #15 on this video

Also, you make it seem worse than it is as they've only played 19 games since then, not 82.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Kriss E, this is the smartest observation I have ever seen you make. That's the thing with Drouin. If he hesitates, he is worthless. Drouin is successful if he plays by instinct and part of that involves taking some risks to create offense. If he is moving quickly (always moving his feet) and not hesitating, he will be successful 90% of the time and that will lead to Grade A scoring chance much more often than Grade A scoring chances against, even if he ends up coughing up the puck once in a while

Fans need to be ready to accept the occasional turnover, provided he is not coughing up the puck on a silver player 6-8 times a game.

Playing under Julien, IMO, does not help Drouin be the most confident he can be and that brings with it some hesitation and a little less productivity as a result.

This year, he appears to be excite and confident. Let's live with the occasional mistakes unless they become omnipresent.
He'll need to produce. If he goes on his usual cold streaks then it'll be a lot less acceptable.
Hopefully not being scolded by his coach after mistakes will provide him the necessary confidence to make him consistent for the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad