Proposal: MTL - MIN

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
honest question... how does Claude Giroux have the most faceoffs taken of all PHI centers if he is not a center??

Because he's damn good at faceoffs and is right handed while Couturier is left handed. That's an incredible strength to have a right handed and left handed guy on the same line that both win 60% of their faceoffs. He also does spend a fair amount of time centering JvR, Voracek and Konecny, so he's not a full time winger.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Domi to Minnesota was discussed briefly in the Domi thread but I'd like to explore it a bit more.

Domi (25, RFA)

~for~

Greenway (23, RFA)
Firstov (19, NCAA)

Domi should be able to slide into the 2C spot for MIN. Greenway adds much needed size to the Habs forward group.
I don't really see how Domi+ would land the winger we need (unless a total prospect...) so I would rather (if you are going to trade him anyhow) trade him for a D.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Because he's damn good at faceoffs and is right handed while Couturier is left handed. That's an incredible strength to have a right handed and left handed guy on the same line that both win 60% of their faceoffs.
i see that, 1200 faceoffs and 59% is insane to not be actually playing C. Staal barely took 1000 faceoffs.

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
Sorry, let me clarify the point. Taking faceoffs doesn't mean you play center.
Now to transition to the next point, I don't doubt that he was playing center, but he was playing center because they lacked better options. As soon as they got better options he was moved back to wing. The fact that those better optioins are a 40 point rookie and an 8 point sophomore isn't a ringing endorsement of him as a top 6 center.

How many teams do you think would play a 50,70 (however many points you think he can score) center on the wing to make way for a 40 or an 8 point center? Don't you think they'd put those players on the wing until they're better?

I am was merely looking at if he was playing center. I agree with you that it is weird how he ended up on the wing? That's why I asked the Habs fans because I don't watch but a few of their games. I am not and end all be all point total guy. I am more worried why he ended up playing wing. I also agree that he doesn't get Dumba or Brodin. Montreal only traded Alex Galchenyuk for him after a similar year. They now have him valued way higher trade asset.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I am was merely looking at if he was playing center. I agree with you that it is weird how he ended up on the wing? That's why I asked the Habs fans because I don't watch but a few of their games. I am not and end all be all point total guy. I am more worried why he ended up playing wing. I also agree that he doesn't get Dumba or Brodin. Montreal only traded Alex Galchenyuk for him after a similar year. They now have him valued way higher trade asset.

Luckily information is free. Go read some Domi threads on Montreal's board. Try to ignore the part where they think Domi is worth Brodin or 9oa. Also try to ignore the part where they try to base Domi's return on Kapanen's as if that was a horrendous overpayment by Pittsburgh. It'll be interesting to see how you feel about him after reading how Habs fans really feel about him.

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
Luckily information is free. Go read some Domi threads on Montreal's board. Try to ignore the part where they think Domi is worth Brodin or 9oa. Also try to ignore the part where they try to base Domi's return on Kapanen's as if that was a horrendous overpayment by Pittsburgh. It'll be interesting to see how you feel about him after reading how Habs fans really feel about him.

I don't need to read it. I basically just said what you said. They want way too much for him.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Also said if its Brodin the conversation starts with Denault. I think you and are on the same page. You are just more frustrated with their offers and show it on here

I actually disagree on that. Don't think Danault is any more of a target for Brodin than Domi is. What Danault does have going for him is he's actually a center though. That player is a high end 3C that's gotten to play with some real top 6 wingers the last couple years. Pacioretty, Gallagher, Tatar. More a result of their putrid center depth than a sign he's a legit top 6 center.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
he was actually referring to ignoring their trade proposals and reading what they really think of domi at C.

More what they think of Domi in general, not just as a C, but yeah that's part of it.

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
I actually disagree on that. Don't think Danault is any more of a target for Brodin than Domi is. What Danault does have going for him is he's actually a center though. That player is a high end 3C that's gotten to play with some real top 6 wingers the last couple years. Pacioretty, Gallagher, Tatar. More a result of their putrid center depth than a sign he's a legit top 6 center.

That's fine. You and I just disagree on it.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That's fine. You and I just disagree on it.

A significant portion of Montreal fans actually disagree with you as well. That's why they already have Suzuki and Kotkaniemi slotted in ahead of him. That's why that portion is willing to trade him right now. That's why it's fun to read their board.

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
A significant portion of Montreal fans actually disagree with you as well. That's why they already have Suzuki and Kotkaniemi slotted in ahead of him. That's why that portion is willing to trade him right now. That's why it's fun to read their board.

Still ok with it. I can't take everyone else's opinions and make them mine.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Domi to Minnesota was discussed briefly in the Domi thread but I'd like to explore it a bit more.

Domi (25, RFA)

~for~

Greenway (23, RFA)
Firstov (19, NCAA)

Domi should be able to slide into the 2C spot for MIN. Greenway adds much needed size to the Habs forward group.
Don't know the players from Minny. But for Domi like to get a good third line center and a 2nd in this draft or a first in next. Lottery protected of course.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Weren't you the one agreeing to trade Brodin for 15 OA ? How is Domi worth less than 15 OA. At 15 OA you hope really hard to get a Domi like player in three years. It s like saying Caufield is worth more than Laine because he has the potential of scoring 50 goals while Laine has only scored 44 max... If you trade Brodin for 16 OA to the Habs all Habs fans will be happier than if we have to send Domi your way ;)

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Weren't you the one agreeing to trade Brodin for 15 OA ? How is Domi worth less than 15 OA. At 15 OA you hope really hard to get a Domi like player in three years. It s like saying Caufield is worth more than Laine because he has the potential of scoring 50 goals while Laine has only scored 44 max... If you trade Brodin for 16 OA to the Habs all Habs fans will be happier than if we have to send Domi your way ;)

A package around 15oa, not 15oa straight up.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
a rare terrible for the habs deal. trading domi for a 10g/25-30pt bottom 6 winger would be bad

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Hard to understand why the Wild would have interest in Domi.

So ya, this is the type of package they would move for him.

Brodin/Dumba/1st round pick are certainly not in the conversation for a player like Domi.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010

I tend to completely ignore that portion of the Habs board. Actually, I spend very little time there in general.

Domi should put up 60+ pts as a C, he also plays a gritty game and gets under opponents' skin. Downside is that he kinda gets running around in his own end and he's not very good on FOs.

Suzuki is already a better two-way C, Danault as well obviously. Kotkaniemi came to camp on a mission and established chemistry with Byron and Lehkonen in the week+ before Domi even got into the bubble. That's why it was difficult to find a spot for Domi when he got back.

I'd honestly prefer to keep Domi over Tatar or Drouin but the writing is on the wall that he may be the one leaving. Hence the Domi Mega Thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad